Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: How much does a Mithril Arrow cost? Save DC?

Downloads
    Uploads

How much does a Mithril Arrow cost? Save DC?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Mithril is 500gp/lb. and a single arrow weighs (3/20) 0.15 lbs...so does it cost 75gp???

OR does it cost less?

Also what is the save DC? 11+(CL of 0) = 11?
    Last edited by harmor; 12-13-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    //TODO: Create kewl sig...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First off, a DM may rule that an arrow does not have enough metal to justify using mithral. Outside of that yes, they would cost 75gp each or 1501gp for 20 arrows.

Basically it it is not worth it to create buy (or create) mithral arrows. Your better off buying (or creating) the silver arrows. Normally you lose ammunition when it hits and 50% that miss. If you have a nice DM, he might allow you to have mithral arrows that basically never break. But as soon as you start enchanting them, you may have problems-DM may decide you have to enchant them individually.

Not sure what you mean by save DC. The Craft DC to create anything with special materials is at least DC 20 because they have to be masterwork quality.

The item does not have a break DC but mithral has a hardness of 15 and would have a hitpoints of 30 (normal arrows have hardness 5 Hit points 5). Non-magical unattended items always fail their saving throw. Attended items use the players saving throw.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    If your referring to the save DC of spells, the formula is DC 10+ level of the spell + your bonus for the relevant ability (intelligence for wizard, Charisma for Bards, paladin, sorcerer, or wisdom for cleric, ranger and druid.)
    Last edited by wizarddog; 12-13-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    typically, only the arrowheads would be made from mithral. i quote:

An item made from mithral weighs half as much as the same item made from other metals. In the case of weapons, this lighter weight does not change a weapon’s size category or the ease with which it can be wielded (whether it is light, one-handed, or two-handed). Items not primarily of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially made of mithral. (A longsword can be a mithral weapon, while a scythe cannot be.)
    Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well....
    so unless something has a dr/mithral there is not a lot of point.... looking at the cost to apply alchemical silver to an arrow, i'd guesstimate that a mithral arrowhead costs 5-8gp per arrow. that's just the cost of the arrowhead, not the whole arrow, btw. ^^

though some might rule that if a scythe cannot be made from mithral, being less than 50% metal or somesuch, then neither could an arrow....
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    the one thing i dislike about the scythe thing is that what if you just made the blade of mithral? i mean a staff i could understand, but with a piercing or slashing weapon, i believe you should be able to make that part of it methral, for effects like DR penetration and such. or mithral arrow heads, witch is a bit more practical, sense your using a good deal less mithral then making the whole arrow out of it.

just a thought

Downloads
    Uploads
    IIRC Mithral is really about weight reduction, not damage reduction (like Nijineko and LordChicken pointed out). There you want Adamantine or Cold Iron or Alchemical silver, etc... Therefore there isn't much point in making mithral arrows, especially since mithral isn't going to weigh less than wood.

If the entire arrow was made of mithral I suppose they'd be harder to break (that would be a GM ruling re: 50% rule), but would it be worth it when arrows are normally cheap? Heck, you could put some points into craft: bowyer / fletcher and just make your own when you run out if you have wood and a knife...