Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: ALIENS rpg

Downloads
    Uploads

ALIENS rpg

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Has anyone ever played this?

I own it and played once but never more. Just wondering if anyone had played it.

Also, at some point in the near future, I may be interested in purchasing a new copy since mine is torn to crap! AND its highlighted.

I vaguely remember it and it is now in storage with all my ancient 2nd edition AD&D books.

Oh, and I have a very sad and angry story about the miniatures as well. It still makes my blood boil to this day!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never played it but I have flipped through the book a time or two as one of my friends owns it. I ought to convince him to run it one of these days.

Oh, and I recall that the alien queen was ridiculously deadly in combat. I seem to recall some sort of rule akin to a 50% chance of instant death if it strikes you with its tail. Yeesh!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Has anyone ever played this?

I own it and played once but never more. Just wondering if anyone had played it.

Also, at some point in the near future, I may be interested in purchasing a new copy since mine is torn to crap! AND its highlighted.

I vaguely remember it and it is now in storage with all my ancient 2nd edition AD&D books.

Oh, and I have a very sad and angry story about the miniatures as well. It still makes my blood boil to this day!
    Is this the game you're talking about: http://www.serenadawn.com/AlienRPG-Contents.htm

Otherwise, list a link, if you would. Thanks.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, not that game. I doubt there is a link anywhere, I couldn't find one but it was published by WEG. I would post a pic but my book has long been packed away in storage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, Aliens was made by 'LEG', Leading Edge Games.

Back in high school, my group used to play the board game alot when we weren't playing an RPG. We tried the Aliens RPG a couple times, but it just never gelled with us for some reason.

Here's a link I found:
    http://www.waynesbooks.com/Aliens.html

It also has info on the non-game sourcebooks that were published long ago.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you thought combat in the Hero System using all of the optional rules was too long Aliens by LEG has it beat. We played it once and the first combat with 2 PCs against 5 or 6 aliens took about 5 hours to resolve. I kid you not that it took that long.
    Last edited by Richard Littles; 01-26-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Littles View Post
    If you thought combat in the Hero System using all of the optional rules was too long Aliens by LED has it beat. We played it once and the first combat with 2 PCs against 5 or 6 aliens took about 5 hours to resolve. I kid you not that it took that long.
    I remember skimming through the rules for Phoenix Command by the same company. It was touted as the most realistic gun combat simulator ever. The problem was, it took too long becasue you actually chrated out the path the bullet took once it entered the body, IIRC.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BayGuardian View Post
    I remember skimming through the rules for Phoenix Command by the same company. It was touted as the most realistic gun combat simulator ever. The problem was, it took too long becasue you actually chrated out the path the bullet took once it entered the body, IIRC.
    Aliens was the rules lite version, but it was so complex that required a minimum of five tables to resolve one bullet. When almost every weapon in the game were full auto with a 10 round burst that's a minimum of of 50 table look ups for just one turn.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got that one and, like most people, played it once. The combat system was abysmal. I have, over the years, used it as a source and setting book for the d6 Star Wars (WEG) and Traveller. The photos in the middle are a little loose, but the book is still in pretty good condition. Hmm, I might have to another look at the setting as inspiration for a Corporation game .... Gemini in the role of Weyland Yutani, trying to create the ultimate combat BIO. Or possibly look at a conversion of the setting using Corporation rules.

Someone likes it: http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?o...ok&bookid=3800
    Four Ugly Monsters - Virtual Tabletop Gaming Community
    Google Groups for Fantasy Grounds II games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays (8pm UK time)
    European FG2 Sunday Nights - Sundays (8pm UK time)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The comments about Aliens/Phoenix Command are spot on about the mind numbing complexity. Back in the day Twilight 2000 was very popular and I picked up Phoenix Command at the FLGS with the idea of using the new rules to replace the ones in T2K. However, after reading through the Phoenix Command rules, I squashed that plan immediately.

A funny thing happened a few months later. I had relegated the Phoenix Command to a means to carry extra T2K stuff in their box. One day when I went to that same FLGS, turns out they were having a demo by the people that made Phoenix Command of a new game they were releasing called Living Steel. The guy saw the Phoenix Command box and asked me what I thought of the system. Never shy to voice my opinion, I did keep it civil to just "It's too complicated to use" and mercy, but did the guy, whose name was Clay give me a look.

We went on with the demo and aside from Clay, no one could figure out how to do anything without his direction. Needless to say, there weren't any sales of Living Steel that day nor of Aliens when it came out later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After Aliens was released in the theater (and I realize I'm dating myself here), a friend of mine used Palladium's "Revised Recon" rules to emulate Aliens-themed games. Eventually he found a (very) small-press RPG called "Bug Hunt," which was basically Aliens stripped of anything that might get them sued. We played that a couple of times, but the system wasn't all that it could have been.

Then came Leading Edge's "Aliens" RPG (which I have, along with the board game), and we played that, too, but the Phoenix Command-lite rules weren't conducive to a good gaming experience.

Time went by, and I decided to adapt the Aliens setting to R. Talsorian's Interlock rules. Basically, imagine using Cyberpunk 2020 for an Aliens-themed game, only without the cumbersome class-based roles. It worked really, really well, and made for a gritty (if somewhat deadly) romp. The rules were posted on my wife's Cyberpunk site a long time ago, but they've since been taken down and been revised a bit.

Ahh, the good old days. I'm planning to run another Aliens game with my homebrew rules once I'm settled in my new place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OMG! If you run said ALIENS game online I would LOVE to play in it!

I love the ALIEN trilogy almost as much as I love Star Wars. I work ALIENS into every Star Wars campaign I run!

Here is my dreadful ALIENS rpg story. So, in highschool I went ALIENS nuts and hunted, specifically RPG related, and I hunted down as much ALIENS RPG material as I could find. It just so happened that my FLGS in 2 counties over had the ALIEN Queen mini, I freaked out! I ran out there with my friend and quickly purchased it and several other blisters of ALIENS minis they had. I paid for it, it was bagged and sitting on the counter, I turned around to check out a comic, turned back around and it was gone. GONE! Stolen. There was another person in line behind me but I never thought they would steal my stuff! Right off the counter in front of the F'ing sales clerk! I was furious and ran out side to see if I could see where the person behind me went, to no avail. I even greatly suspected the sales clerk to have stolen it. Oh, I am still so pissed about that. I wanted that queen so bad. I did manage to track down an APC and a Dropship and I have the complete Sulaco team, along with Ripley, and Newt. But no Queen.

And if anyone ever comes across a Nostromo jacket, let me know. I want one bad! I have crew patches out the wazoo!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    OMG! If you run said ALIENS game online I would LOVE to play in it!
    I don't know if I'd run a game online. I used to run them when I was a lot younger, with a lot more time on my hands, but I haven't been able to keep up with one since those lazy days. The Aliens games I've done have generally been single-session survivalfests, where PCs go down pretty quickly.

As far as the Nostromo flight jackets, I'd love to find one. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the jackets they used were made for the movie or based on a style of jacket long since lost. The closest thing I have is a flight jacket I put together, patterned after what I think USCMC drop ship pilots and crew would wear. You can find photos here.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd also like a Nostromo jacket. Pretty cool, indeed.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet