Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: [All Flesh Must Be Eaten] Surprise!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

[All Flesh Must Be Eaten] Surprise!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have a regular Shadowrun gaming group. A little over 2 weeks ago at our last Shadowrun game, we brought up that most of the group would have 11/23 off, why not a game day? We did some brainstorming via e-mail to see what we wanted to play and after voting came up with Brian running Hollow Earth Expedition at 10am, lunch and board games after and me running Deadlands Reloaded at 6ish.

I spent a week getting Savage Worlds understood and passing out character sheets. But last week after reading the module I was going to use, I decided to switch to All Flesh Must Be Eaten. I'd been wanting to run a present day All Flesh game and been thinking about it for some time so I already had a good idea of what I wanted to do. I had to come up with the reason for Zombies though.

I decided to use the H1N1 anti-virus combined with Blood Types. A check of the wikipedia article came up with the breakdown I wanted. I'd read Eden, a zombie apocalypse book that had both slow and fast zombies which I thought was a great idea. Further reading of Blood Types came up with the Anti-A and Anti-B antibodies.

Type O - Contains both Anti-A antibodies and Anti-B antibodies.
    Type A - Contains Anti-B antibodies
    Type B - Contains Anti-A antibodies
    Type AB - Contains neither antibodies.

Type O - Anti-A and Anti-B nullify the vaccine and nothing happens.
    Type A - The Anti-B does nothing and the vaccine works normally.
    Type B - Anti-A reacts with the vaccine, people die and reanimate as shamblers.
    Type AB - No antibodies to interfere with the vaccine so folks turn into fast zombies.

Folks bit by zombies follow the same. O folks are only wounded and when killed, simply die. A folks bit by zombies die from the bite but don't reanimate. Folks who don't have Anti-B antibodies turn into one of the two zombies with just a bite.

The blood type entry in wikipedia showed a 10% population with B blood type and 4% with AB which worked out exactly as I wanted it.

So I sent an e-mail to the one gamer (Wendy) who was coming up just for the Deadlands game to make sure she didn't have a problem with the game change. The rest of the group was going to be here anyway. I let her be a Survivor with extra points and extra gear in her car (she did try to sneak in a Halberd and a copy of the Zombie Survival Guide ).

In the AFMBE core book is a dialog from a doctor that was bitten. I rewrote the dialog to fit the infection and then recorded it in several sessions on my iPhone. I also used the government warning from One of The Living, rewriting it to fit in with the scenario as well.

I created a timeline so things would make sense. Saturday there was a flu outbreak at the local Farmers Market. The effect was to have a few more folks go in for shots. Sunday the flu spread when people attended church which of course caused more of a run at the clinics.

Monday I sent out an e-mail to the Tuesday group letting them know to bring food and snacks and suggesting that they either bring lunch or, for $5 a person my wife would have lunch available. Oh and I mentioned that the local Safeway had a flu shot line going out the door and down to the end of the building. Weird ( )

Later I sent out an e-mail mentioning that a bunch of clinics in the area had run out of H1N1 shots.

The group arrived around 9:30am on Tuesday and we got gaming with HEX.

I had a few nervous moments when folks were talking about their great Deadlands characters (Sister Mary Loquacious) knowing I was switching it out.

After lunch (about 3:30) I mentioned that the hospital down the road was turning people away from the emergency room and sending them to other places.

I put a copy of the government flier and my All Flesh core and screen with my wife. She was to give the flier to Wendy when she arrived.

One of the other gamers called Wendy to see where she was. She told him that she was seeing helicopters as she got in to town and National Guard vehicles on the side of the road out side of town. He came downstairs mentioning helicopters which started folks talking a little "helicopters?"

In the mean time I was getting set up for Deadlands. I got my GM screen up, dice box, laptop up and logged in to the wiki. I was getting folks characters ready and going over the Savage Worlds rules. Folks were talking about their characters or picking a pregen out for a couple of the new folks.

Wendy arrived and brought down the flier "hey, I found this on one of the telephone poles, what's going on?"

A few minutes later my wife came downstairs with my book and screen and said, "hey, I just heard on the news. All the roads have been closed." and she handed me my books.

"Hey! What's going on?"

"All Flesh Must Be Eaten. It's the Zombie Apocalypse tonight and you have to get out of Longmont."

We spent about 30 minutes getting characters picked out and printed. I tried to have them be as close to them as possible within reason.

Next they searched my house (where we were playing). They found my cheap Katana, my Zombie Survival book, tools in the garage, gasoline for Molotov Cocktails, rake, shovels, metal bars from my MIG welder, and whatever else they could chase down.

They climbed up on the roof narrowly avoiding being munched, dropped one of the cocktails on the bushes in the front yard to distract the Zombies and then jumped off to get in their cars.

They were having trouble starting one car and one of the fast zombies kept the others from getting in their car. A couple of zombies were put down, unfortunately though one of the players got a little overenthusiastic and punched through the head of a zombie scraping up his hand.

Eventually, with some missteps and a sprained ankle, they all climbed into Wendy's explorer (after throwing some boxes out and accidentally throwing out the road repair kit).

They tried to head out the closest way and found it blocked by the National Guard (who blew up one vehicle trying to run the blockade).

They moved down the road a ways and tried to cross at what looked like a quiet place but one of the players got captured. The rest escaped back into town.

There were a few adventures going through town including avoiding zombies and national guardsmen who were burning down the south side of 119. One of the players got taken down by a fast zombie and was eaten. I pulled him aside to get his blood type which he didn't know so I had him roll based on the break down in the wiki article. He rolled up an O type and was just killed

The captured player was injected with H1N1 as a precaution (the guardsmen didn't know what was causing the outbreak). Unfortunately she was AB so turned into a fast zombie.

The rest of the group stumbled upon a research area and listened to the dialog from the doctor. I got chills listening to it so I think it came out pretty well. I'll post a link once I get things up on the site so you can listen as well.

They continued east to county line road which was being patrolled. They were able to find a gap and got away. Unfortunately since the zombies were attracted, they were being followed and the zombies made it through the perimeter.

The world ended.

From the discussion after the game, surprise was total and they had a great time. I don't think they'll fall for the trap a second time though

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's awesome. Wish i was playing. Keep the stories coming.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up wow

You like to research on zombies alot and i thinks its cool.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That was great!! That's going to be a session that everyone remembers with all of the faux real world interjected information. You might want ot take a look at the online Zombie Comic..The Zombie Hunters, http://www.thezombiehunters.com/zombies.php

You may find the Encyclopedia entry nice with the 7 distinct types of Zombies for the comic, along with the virus, and jobs people can perform in the post-zombie apocolypse world. Dman, I wish I could've joined in with that session you had. But, unfortunately I'm in PA and about 1500+ miles away from you. I don't think my wife would appreciate frequent flier commuter miles so that I could game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I popped over to check it out.

A couple of additions to the above post.

1. At about 10:30am on Tuesday I had one of my coworkers text me that the office was pretty dead. He actually sent that there were like 6 people in the office and that even the bistro was closed (company cafeteria).

2. I've uploaded the audio files (w4a format) and the document posted on the telephone pole. The dialog is from the All Flesh core book with appropriate changes and the document is from One of The Living again with appropriate changes.

http://www.shadowrun.us/20091124/

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Niice! I've been gathering information to start a AFMBE campaign here and I love your idea about the H1N1. Especially since it was really stressed, and even forced upon, to get the vaccination. I think I'm going to 'borrow' your idea lol.
    What the Orc said getting out of the lake after losing his loin cloth: "What?!? The water was cold!!"