Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House rules for 3.5

Downloads
    Uploads

House rules for 3.5

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Since this will be my first concerted effort into DMing a 3.5 game I was wondering what everyone's house rules were for 3.5 overall. Since I am far from knowing all the minutia that can be exploited.

the only concrete thing I have so far is limiting the books used, here is my list:

Available books
    DMG
    DMG II
    MIC
    PHB
    PHB II
    RoD
    RoS
    RoW
    RC
    Spell Compendium
    All 3.5/3.0 FR books
    All Complete Books

NO psionics!

What are yours?

Thanks
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) I have tweaked the Toughness feat to add +1 hp pr. level and the Improved Toughness feat to add +2 hp pr. level. I like my front line fighters tough and the added survivability makes for a more satisfying game for both me and the players.

2) I require the players to describe in character the prestige class they want to take and to find a willing teacher to learn from. In other words, Bromm the rogue/wizard won't say he'd like to be an Arcane Trickster but instead describes how he would be able to combine his rogue abilities with his spell casting to better the latter. Obviously I then accommodate his wishes by working it into the story line.

3) I don't allow the creation of magic items using the combo of divine metamagic and the persistent spell feat as it allows you to create rings etc. with spell abilities for 10 percent of the actual cost.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Something you should kill right away, with the books you are using the monster known as Sarrukh should either be eliminated or have it's type changed to Outsider.

If this creature remains, as is, it brings up the loop hole of Pun-Pun

This creature has a supernatural ability that is frankly, GOD like, if characters choose the feat assume supernatural ability and combine it with a players ability to shapechange things will quickly get out of hand

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is part of the house rules for my 3.5 game

NEW 1/25/08 Non class skills only cost one point but are still limited by cross class skill limits. New campaigns
    NEW 5/26/08 The Duskblade and Knight from PHB 2 will be allowed. Check racial restrictions.
    NEW 9/15/09 following will be allowed- Hengeyokai, Nezumi, and Spirit folk from Oriental adventures. See class restrictions below.
    I have restrictions on character races and classes. I freely admit to bias to certain combinations of race and class. For example there will never be a dwarvish wizard or sorcerer in my campaign. I have also compiled the list of allowable classes for the main part of my campaign from the core and other books and the races allowed for them.
    CLASSES ALLOWED: Core book all, Swashbuckler, scout, spellthief, psion, pyschic warrior, soulknife, spirit shaman, , Duskblade,knight guttermage (book of Roguish luck-Malhavoc press)
    shugena, wu jen, ninja, samurai generally in a far eastern style campaign but allowable on the west coast campaign. PRESTIGE CLASSES-complete warrior kensai
    PRESTIGE CLASSES ALLOWED; Fist and Sword-devoted defender, warmaster, tribal protector. Complete Warrior-cavilier, drunken master, halfling outrider, tattooed monk, hunter of the dead, order of the bow, spellsword. Defenders of the faith-Templar, Complete divine-church inquisitor(not all faiths, hospitaler, sacred exorcist, warpriest(Helm and Tempus), sacred fist, Tome and Blood-the wayfarer guide, Races of Stone-battlesmith, deep warden, Song and Silence-spymaster, complete Adventurer-dread pirate, ollam(dwarf only), thief-acrobat, wild plains rider, Races of the Wild champion of Corellon, luckstealer(human instead of halfling tyche follower), dallah thauns luck feat taken by human, rauther, DMG dwarvish defender, arcane trickster, duelist, loremaster, hierophant.
    paladins are followers of Tyr, Torm and Helm only.
    I may allow a new PRC with discussion with the player but the above is allowed without the need for discussion
    RACE ELIBIBILITY FOR RACES
    HUMANS ALL,
    ELVES AND 1/2 ELVES ALL BUT BARBARIAN, PALADIN, MONK, AND FAR EAST CLASSES.H
    DWARVES- ONLY FOLLOWING CLASSES FIGHTER, CLERIC, ROGUE, SWASHBUCKLER, SCOUT
    GNOMES- ONLY FOLLOWING CLASSES FIGHTER, RANGER, CLERIC, WIZARD, BARD, ROGUE, SPELLTHIEF, GUTTERMAGE
    HALFLINGS- ONLY FOLLOWING CLASSES FIGHTER, RANGER, CLERIC, ROGUE, SWASHBUCKLER, SPELLTHIEF, WIZARD, GUTTERMAGE
    1/2 ORCS- ONLY FOLLOWING CLASSES BARBARIAN,FIGHTER, CLERIC, SORCERER, ROGUE, WIZARD
    CENTAUR- ONLY FOLLOWING CLASSES FIGHTER, RANGER, CLERIC, BARD, DRUID, SPIRIT SHAMAN, KNIGHT
    LIZARDMAN ONLY FOLLOWING CLASSES-FIGHTER, BARBARIAN, CLERIC, SORCERER
    HENGEYOKAI-WU JEN
    NEZUMI-ROGUE
    SPIRIT FOLK-SAMURAI, WU JEN, ROGUE, SHUGENA
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    In addition. I also have feats every other level instead of every three levels. I will also add additional feats for background for a character. Generally these are skill based feats.

I have an extensive list of changes for the priests as I have had speciality priests that I imported from my second ed campaign.
    Last edited by outrider; 11-08-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm running a FR 3.5 game, and as Inquisitor Tremayne I disallow Psionics because they are inappropriate for that setting. Other than that I generally try to avoid setting up restrictions to classes/races and stick to the rules that are already part of the game. I still retain the ability to say "no" if one of my players wants to choose a race/class/etc I don't want in my campaign but I much prefer entering into a dialog about it. As a rule the players can freely choose any normal player race and class from the Forgotten realms Campaign Setting book without having to take it up with me. Beyond that we talk about it

Fx, I strongly discourage players from choosing the Spell Thief class because I don't feel it is appropriate for the setting in which we play and because I think the class is flawed in it's dependency on viable target from which to steal spells and spell-like abilities from.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dying: your max negative hit points are equal to your Constitution score.

Sleeping: a full night's rest for you is 8 hours less your Con bonus.

Morale: when you reach half your hit points, or half your party flees or falls, you must save vs. Will DC 20 or become Shaken. Failure by 10 means you become frightened.

Common is not a language.

Difficult languages, like monstrous or planar ones, require extra skill points.

A paladin's warhorse does not come from another plane. Cheeeez-y.

And there's more where that came from...
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.20
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdown...ownloadid=1068

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DMMike View Post

And there's more where that came from...
    Let's hear 'em!

i like the morale check, old 2e hold over.

I also like common not a language! I think I am implementing that one!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    1. Dying -10 Rule - Modified to -10 with Con Bonus adjusting it.
    Example:
    18 Con = Con bonus +4 So Dying would be to -14
    9 Con = Con bonus -1 So Dying would be to -9

2. Toughness - +1 / Level

3. Improved Toughness - Increase hit die rolled per level by one Non-Retroactive
    Example: Use Table 7-4 in PHB Page 114 to adjust properly going from Medium to Large Damage. Just apply it to the dice used for hitpoints.
    1d4 is now 1d6; 1d6 is now 1d8 etc.
    Never had an issue with anyone taking it twice, but it could be abused in that way if you aren't careful. Takes trust in your players or you can just say it can only be taken once or give it progressively harder requirements.

4. Bonded Items (taken from a friend) - rather than filling hoards of treasure so everyone trades in/up after every dragons hoard. A character can bond with an item/weapon (exp cost for each bonding) that allows it to grow with the characters level. Allows for a great customization of an item for each player. I use an every 5th Level of power requires a bond to open it up further. Really can make for an epic item in itself once you reach those levels. (haven't had any with bonded make it that far yet)

5. Anything is possible with a good backstory to it. I don't automatically say no, but ask you how it fits in the world. D&D is the ultimate jigsaw puzzle, but it has to fit to look right.

Those are the biggies, the rest vary per campaign.
    Bill
    The Yeti aka Magnus the Archmage
    ~"Henry Bowman lives within each and everyone of us, and it's time to start acting like it. "
    A Story Hour set in Valus by Funeris
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=97346
    My SH Set in Valus 20yrs after Funeris's Valus SH
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=133211
    Bryon_Soulweaver - "Stupid nobles, hope Mangus blasts them (and I woundn't doubt if he could)."
    Funeris's 2nd SH(he isDM)
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=130328

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Let's hear 'em!

i like the morale check, old 2e hold over.

I also like common not a language! I think I am implementing that one!
    by popular demand...

Darkvision only works when eyes adjust to total darkness.

Commander aura: characters with a charisma bonus can grant low-level bonuses to dedicated followers within 30 feet. (Can help to counteract morale failures)

Ready weapon: you may assume that your character has a light weapon ready at all times. Heavier weapons would cause fatigue. (Gives value to quick draw)

People races are neutral, and affected by most Protection, Circle, and aligned spells. Only planar beings have a polar alignment.

Defense rolls! Keep PCs on their toes...