Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
pnpg-con! - Page 4
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: pnpg-con!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    It's a surprise and it wouldn't be much of a surprise if I told you, would it?

Why do I get the image of Farcaster sitting at his desk, looking at the computer monitor and rubbing his hands together while saying, "Ancient Chinese Secret".

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i'm glad to see there is interest. many cognizant points have been raised. fair forewarning: i'm sick and so somewhat muzzy. my responses may likewise be scatter-brained.

i agree that given the means and ability, many would prefer a live con over an online con. I also note that as an online community widely scattered over the world, that an online con has certain advantages to our community, which others have covered.

i will put in my two cents in about sl or second life. to my knowledge, linden labs does not sell or otherwise provide the software necessary for independent servers. they are interested in attracting business, but the reputation is something worth being concerned about. i have an account on sl, though i rarely log in, unless i am looking for friends. in my experiences, the sl community can be split up into the following groups: undead/goth and 'friends', furries and other anthros, gor-ean slaves and masters, designers and builders, and the rest are the curious, confused, lost, and just looking.

there are enough skilled and talented builders, artists, and designers that i visit collecting tutorials, how-to's, tips and other pointers for 3d design. the various regions support ratings from pg through 'unlimited'. in order to have a space on sl, one will either need to rent it from an existing owner, or to purchase it from linden labs (don't forget your monthly dues). they only use "linden dollars" which they will happily sell you in exchange for real money. furthermore, the free accounts cannot be "landowners". in reality, the more spectacular the setting for a given area the longer a load time it has, and the less likely people are going to wait around for it.

my thoughts were that unless linden labs unbent enough to cooperate in making a con, and also could provide an enforceable "dress code" for avs (avatars), that sl might not be the ideal choice....

one thought i had in conjunction with the skype idea was to set up a ventrillo server. free, completely configurable, supports chat and voice, and multiple channels. used in combination with multiple instances of maptools or gametable, a convention could thereby be set up.

since farcaster has clearly indicated that it will not be sooner, but might still be possible later, and based on my understanding... planning a convention can take half a year or more. so why not plan and test out our ideas as a community and then we can report the results back to farcaster for his use in any future decisions.

also, i think that it is important to keep in mind what the various vendors we wish to invite would want to advertise or sell. what software platform(s) will be used, will determine what we can do link/advertise/etc wise for vendors. nailing down what services can be provided for vendors, sellers, visitors, ect is an important step that needs to be accomplished before we can realistically talk about price point for admission for anyone.

for an alternative to sl, blender is free, has a large support community, and has a built in game engine, and some networking support. however, i don't think it is mmo scale yet. in line with that idea, there are a number of proto-mmo communities out there trying to develop opensource or inexpensive mmo options. worth looking into for the long-term. i am, of course, in favor of something that supports *nix, mac, and windows.

in conclusion, i think that farcaster might support this if we could give him more information and playtesting data, and only if we present such to him later than sooner. we need to explore what software(s) might provide what we are looking for, and then have a group of us playtest it.

so.... form a community unofficial committee, form a plan of information gathering and research, split up the resulting responsibilities, return and report, collect data, repeat testing until positive results are found, and then write a report to turn in to farcaster for perusal at his leisure.

sorry for any fuzziness. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sounds good. Again, I don't want to organize nada, but will offer a tutorial on maptools.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    undead/goth and 'friends', furries and other anthros, gor-ean slaves and masters, designers and builders, and the rest are the curious, confused, lost, and just looking.
    Nijineko nails it right there, but add in:
    - Nude strippers and their patrons
    - Simulated virtual sex / orgies
    -Pop Culture axis drifting to Cyberpunk types

And the dress code thing is a key, since anyone can walk around essentially naked, or weird / Strange.

So an age limit, etc.

Just a lot of things with SL that really, in my mind detract from it.

There are good things too, some as I said before great digital art, and amazing VR work, but the negative things just started to outweigh, so the wife and I left.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    also, i think that it is important to keep in mind what the various vendors we wish to invite would want to advertise or sell. what software platform(s) will be used, will determine what we can do link/advertise/etc wise for vendors. nailing down what services can be provided for vendors, sellers, visitors, ect is an important step that needs to be accomplished before we can realistically talk about price point for admission for anyone.

for an alternative to sl, blender is free, has a large support community, and has a built in game engine, and some networking support. however, i don't think it is mmo scale yet. in line with that idea, there are a number of proto-mmo communities out there trying to develop opensource or inexpensive mmo options. worth looking into for the long-term. i am, of course, in favor of something that supports *nix, mac, and windows.

in conclusion, i think that farcaster might support this if we could give him more information and playtesting data, and only if we present such to him later than sooner. we need to explore what software(s) might provide what we are looking for, and then have a group of us playtest it.

so.... form a community unofficial committee, form a plan of information gathering and research, split up the resulting responsibilities, return and report, collect data, repeat testing until positive results are found, and then write a report to turn in to farcaster for perusal at his leisure.

sorry for any fuzziness. ^^
    I'll volunteer for the playtesting group (if you'll have me) but not the platform choosing committee. I'm thinking my technical idiocy might make me a good guinea pig (IE 'If stupid can do it, anyone can').

HH
    "None of you understand. I'M NOT LOCKED UP IN HERE WITH YOU. YOU'RE LOCKED UP IN HERE WITH ME!" - Rorschach (Jack Earle Haley) moments after dousing a fellow inmate with boiling cooking oil in -'The Watchmen'

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Etarnon View Post
    Nijineko nails it right there, but add in:
    to my fortune, i've not run into any representatives of the groups you mention, at least not knowingly, or in (out?) of "uniform". but then i'm fairly limited as to what sort of places i visit. so far i've only been to places known and recommended by people known to me, and who know my limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_Hippie View Post
    I'll volunteer for the playtesting group (if you'll have me) but not the platform choosing committee. I'm thinking my technical idiocy might make me a good guinea pig (IE 'If stupid can do it, anyone can').
    i know that i have some experience researching the various 3d offerings (thus far for my own purposes, but i could easily use the information to aid this effort as well.) if anyone else has some experience, they are welcome to speak up.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234