Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
pnpg-con!
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: pnpg-con!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

pnpg-con! (online con) how much interest is there?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    you know you want one...

... search your feelings, you know it to be true.

=D
    Last edited by nijineko; 11-01-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would go for one in person, especially if based in washington or oregon. but online...no thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure. You could have a dealer page with physical products and PDF downloads to purchase etc... Scheduled online games using Skype and GSC where observers are encouraged. A few prizes and contests. Have a couple of special guests. Why not? Could be fun.
    "A man that carries a cat by the tail learns something that he will learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm all for an Online PnPG Con. I think it is a workable idea that can be successful if well-planned. Pvt Msg me if you need help.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would agree with Marshamsane. I would prefer a live convention. It would be nice to meet all the people whom I have been in contact with.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I'm all for it for a real location. Online... not so much, but that's just me. Keep us up to date.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A live one would be nifty, but I most likely wouldn't be able to go. But you could probably get the guys from D3 games and crafty games to help sponsor.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it would be pretty interesting to see how it plays out. It's definitely a good idea that could be based around a virtual convention world with voice chat. This idea has potential, but I'm not a programmer to say it's definitely doable as a 3d virtual world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    you know you want one...

=D
    In my opinion the question isn't whether you'd prefer a live in person con or an online one. Obviously most everyone would prefer a live in person one. However, 99% of the members on this site would be unable to attend a live con as we are spread all over the world. The question is whether an online con has enough interest and whether it is feasible and worthwhile to do.

I mean... It's like me asking you "Would you like a hamburger"
    and you say "Yes, I'd love some lobster thank you" and I say I know you
    like lobster, but I'm asking you if you want a hamburger."
    Last edited by spidey; 11-03-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    "A man that carries a cat by the tail learns something that he will learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    online or no, great place to introduce ppg classes/tutorials/workshops.

If online, I don't mind holding a little intro on the basics of maptools for players and GM's.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And I am sure that each regional P&PG Con would be trying to convince Farcaster to make an apperance at thiers. With that in mind, if we would get one arranged here in the Pittsburgh, PA area, we are calling dibs on Farcaster now.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    online or no, great place to introduce ppg classes/tutorials/workshops.

If online, I don't mind holding a little intro on the basics of maptools for players and GM's.
    I'd sign up for that class.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Spidey has hit the nail on the head. We, or most of us anyway, frequent this site because of lack of local gaming resources. Sure there is some "I just moved to (insert name of big North American city here) and am looking for local players", but there are many more of us for which face to face gaming or attending a live RPG Convention is not an option for whatever reason, be it health, money or time or something not mentioned here. This is for all intents and purposes an online community. We should play to that strength. The technology is available to make an online con a success as long as it is well thought out and executed. I've said it before, if it is decided to do an online con, I can lend some experience with event planning. A live con, probably not because that would require me to be on the ground and that is not an option for me at this time.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Hey folks,

Just me being an insomniac but was doing some thinking as to how we might set this up.

First off, we would have to make sure we had a very fast and bulletproof server with a whole lot of capacity because if there is one thing that would turn this into a farce it would be having the site go down mid-con or even lag somewhat. I don't know exactly which of you folks in red is in charge of that end of things for this site but it would be an absolute must to cover our butts there.

Secondly we would need someone to contact all the game companies we would be interested in inviting to this event. Furthermore we would need to decide if there would be a 'booth charge' for their attendance. Most if not all other 'live' cons do charge for booth space which goes a long way to covering their costs. If the server plan we now use is not up to the standards we need to pull this off, 'booth fees' would go a long way to help defray the costs involved in whatever upgrades we would need.

Thirdly, we are going to need at least one person with significant web-design skills (see below). As I don't know most of you and least of all the staff of this site, that person might already be among us, but I probably don't know him/her.

Fourthly, we are going to have to decide on a date. From a purely logistical point of view I doubt there is any way we can think of doing this anytime before mid-2010. That said, if we do do this, in my opinion (for what that's worth) mid-November 2010 would be the best time for a couple of reasons. First off it would be six weeks before Christmas which would work out well for the game companies in general and especially well for anyone rolling out a new product at that time (and I'll bet that is the majority of them). Secondly, at least in the upper hemisphere where most of us are located, November is a month usually cold enough to keep people inside, but not so bad as to knock down trees and powerlines (and cutting off internet connections). As well, as far as televised sports, not much happens on weekends in November after the baseball World Series ends (at least in North America. I could be way off base here as far as other continents are concerned. Anyone know how the football [soccer to us new worlders] season plays out in Europe that time of year?)

At any 'live' con I've been to (when I was rich and mobile) many game companies had their own demo/tourney games going on right at their booth. We should also do this and we can by providing a link to a chatroom where said game is being played. Now the chatroom would be set up so only those running or playing in the game would be able to type in the room. Perhaps a separate room could be made available and someone (from the game company) can explain the game as it is being played. Now I know that in PNPG chat you can chat in the main room and private message at the same time. I also know you can't be in two different chatrooms at the same time. However, while I can't direct someone to such a beast personally, I do think the technology is out there to make it possible to be in two different chats at the same time. It's just a matter of finding it.

Now obviously watching a bunch of people in a chat room without any visual context of what is going on is probably not as entertaining as someone might like. Ergo, being able to 'staple' an ap like maptool in the 'gameroom', to be seen by all is probably a necessity.

As far as running games in Skype (or other voice tech) is concerned, I do think that ap should be represented at the con, but I think it should be up to the game companies as to whether they want to use chat or Skype to run their games. My feeling is that most if not all will choose chat simply because that technology has been around longer and everyone is used to it more so than Skype.

Should that prove to be the case, perhaps a good suggestion would be to contact the makers of Skype itself and see if they want to rent a 'booth' at the con. In fact, I'd go so far as to say any company with a decent RPG ap on the market should also be contacted in this regard. As well, we could also approach any online RPG media outlets out there as well with the same proposal (anything from an ordering platform for your favourite RL RPG magazine to publishers of novels that fit in with RPGers interests).

As far as other features on the game company sites I think we should basically set parameters as to how much space on the server they would be allowed to use and let them design their own site with the exception of a few things

1) The 'game room' as explained above. If a company wishes to have more than one game room (or more than another pre-determined amount of game rooms), we probably should be able to charge a higher rate for that (more server space, more work for whoever is designing the template). Keep in mind that the game companies should be encouraged to use as many of their own people as possible in running/explaining the games. One they probably know them better and two they would be getting paid for it.

2) Each game company site should have multiple chat links for sales representatives (I suggest three). Again, if the company wants more, then a higher rate should be charged.

3) A way to pay for product that doesn't involve a credit card. First off, there is a lot of paranoia over identity theft in cyberspace these days. Secondly, there are some of us that plain don't have a credit card and probably won't be getting one any time soon. Paypal is the method I think most people know. Not sure if there are others like it.

I would suggest that the companies be encouraged to keep their game rooms in constant motion. People should either be in there rolling a character up or playing at all times. As far as what scenarios should be run in the game rooms, I'm thinking that in a demo scenario, allowing an hour to roll up characters for the entire party should be sufficient as long as everyone does the same thing at the same time in a step by step fashion. An adventure of maybe two hours probably more tilted to hack'n'slash (face it folks, when you rolled your first D&D character, you couldn't wait to use your sword/spell/bow/mace) as opposed to role-playing should be sufficient. Hack'n'slash also provides the game company more of an opportunity to demonstrate their game mechanics than something tilted more towards role-playing and they do want to sell stuff remember. I would also suggest that it be written into any contract we draw up that each company provide at least one tournament scenario per day per game room and provide 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes (not for each session mind you, but overall) (which I'm guessing would probably be online store credits which by me is quite fine). Basically, they would need to come up with two scenarios as they could run the demo scenario ad infinitum as different people would be playing it all the time.

As far as registering for game play, my opinion is that this should not become available until one hour after the previous game has started. It's not a foolproof way to keep people at the con but if we allow pre-registration, folks are going to show up for their game only and then get the hell out of dodge. If they have to be there to register anyway, they might hang around and check out other products while waiting for their game to start. My feeling is that planning for that one hour gap would allow potential demo gamers to watch how characters are rolled up but not give them a glimpse of the scenario itself (I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to ban someone temporarily from the demo chat room(s) who has registered for the next one once they have registered as they have to leave the chat to register).

Another thing that would help us out a lot is if we had a 'celebrity' among us for a live chat, be they author or game designer. Now there are two sides to this coin. While yes it would definitely give us credibility in running this con, said person also benefits whoever is bringing him in. Do we give that client a discount on their booth? Waive their costs altogether?

Another thing we haven't touched on is on-site advertising (only in the form of banner ads, none of this pop-up stuff). Yeah I know, banner ads are ugly, crass and commercial but the money to put this on has to come from somewhere. In my experience, money generated by those are calculated by click thoughs (IE the more times someone clicks on a particular banner ad (which would be linked to their 'booth'), the more money we make from the people whose ad that is.) If we sub-divide the con into 'rooms' with no more than 16 'booths' to a room and had four rooms in addition to the main lobby we would be able to generate 10 different banner ad spots (top and bottom of page in the main lobby and four rooms). As probably many of you have noticed, a lot of banner ads are actually several different banner ads on a loop so that every time the page is opened the ads rotate. This would allow us to have more than 10 ads assuming lobby and four rooms.

Anyway, just some idle thoughts in my head after staying up all night. Sorry for the manifesto length post. When I write my auto-biography, it will be on the back of a bubblegum wrapper

HH
    Last edited by Hockey_Hippie; 11-03-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    "None of you understand. I'M NOT LOCKED UP IN HERE WITH YOU. YOU'RE LOCKED UP IN HERE WITH ME!" - Rorschach (Jack Earle Haley) moments after dousing a fellow inmate with boiling cooking oil in -'The Watchmen'

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    you know you want one...

=D
    What about the online sensation "Second Life" or something similar? It's totally free. You can have a large convention center of your own design complete with video, meeting, or gaming rooms etc. People already use it for D&D and other RPGs. Each person has their own fully customizable avatar with which to walk around the convention. There are countless places to advertise. You can have walk-ins from strangers that just want to check it out. The idea is novel enough that a news reporter might even want to do a story on it. It's so crazy it just might work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, just talked to spidey about what exactly 'Second Life' entails. It sounds really cool but I'm wondering about just how much work would be involved for a game company to set up their own booth in Second Life. I've never tried it and maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm thinking that the work involved doing that will turn some companies off attending.

Quote Originally Posted by spidey View Post
    What about the online sensation "Second Life" or something similar? It's totally free. You can have a large convention center of your own design complete with video, meeting, or gaming rooms etc. People already use it for D&D and other RPGs. Each person has their own fully customizable avatar with which to walk around the convention. There are countless places to advertise. You can have walk-ins from strangers that just want to check it out. The idea is novel enough that a news reporter might even want to do a story on it. It's so crazy it just might work.
    Last edited by Hockey_Hippie; 11-03-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    "None of you understand. I'M NOT LOCKED UP IN HERE WITH YOU. YOU'RE LOCKED UP IN HERE WITH ME!" - Rorschach (Jack Earle Haley) moments after dousing a fellow inmate with boiling cooking oil in -'The Watchmen'

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast