Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Cast A Thundarr Movie.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    337
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Cast A Thundarr Movie.

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    With so many 80's cartoons being turned into live action movies these days (G.I. Joe, Transformers, He-Man, Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, The Smurfs, etc), it's just a mattaer of time before Warner Brothers and Hollywood get up off their asses and make a Thundarr movie. If the do (and do it right) that would be so awsome! So who do you see in the roles? Here are my picks:


    TYLER MANE AS THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN


    KELLY HU AS PRINCESS ARIEL



    THE GREAT KHALI AS OOKLA THE MOK



    MICHAEL IRONSIDE AS GEMINI


    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Personally I would write the plot to be an origins story, telling how Thundarr, Ariel, and Ookla all met and how they came to go about adventuring together. It should also explain exactly where Thundarr got his Sunsword and how it became bonded to him so that only he can use it. In all of the Thundarr lore that I've read Thundarr and Ookla were both enslaved by Ariel's evil stepfather, the wizard Sabien. Then she helped them escape and fled with them. Here's my casting choice for Sabien, and what I think he should look like.


    GARY OLDMAN AS SABIEN


    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Here are some photo manips I've found on the internet that I thought were really cool. Not too sure about this guy's casting choices, but it's still pretty cool.





    Last edited by Tony Misfeldt; 10-21-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    337
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My Secondary Casting Choices

    Kevin Sorbo As Thundarr The Barbarian



    Kristen Kreuk As Princess Ariel


    "The Big Show" Paul White As Ookla The Mok

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    45
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I say Karl Urban for Thundar and Ariel's part being cast to someone with a lil brown sugar in the baskets....part hindi or spanish...the cartoon distinctly showed her being darker than Thundar and had a red gem (which I thought was a sign of being married in the far east!)....maybe one of those really cute Bollywood actresses.
    Ookla gets a CGI treatment....his casting isn't so important.
    The Villain on the otherhand is the aspect that would make or break such a project...and I agree....Baron Gemini is the only logical choice for Uber-Villain!
    His casting though....tough one.....whoever the actor was that played in this new "Moon" movie....he was also the "impersonator" in Band of Brothers...he might pull off the psychotic nuance of Gemini quite well.....then again....so might the guy that JJ Abrams cast in Kirk's role...he might pull it off pretty well too....(just think of his performance as the lead "tremor-brother" in Smokin Aces?)

    Peace & Light
    Last edited by Eryiedes; 11-16-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
    "I drank what?" Socrates

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    337
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryiedes View Post
    I say Karl Urban for Thundar and Ariel's part being cast to someone with a lil brown sugar in the baskets....part hindi or spanish...the cartoon distinctly showed her being darker than Thundar and had a red gem (which I thought was a sign of being married in the far east!)....maybe one of those really cute Bollywood actresses.
    Ookla gets a CGI treatment....his casting isn't so important.
    The Villain on the otherhand is the aspect that would make or break such a project...and I agree....Baron Gemini is the only logical choice for Uber-Villain!
    His casting though....tough one.....whoever the actor was that played in this new "Moon" movie....he was also the "impersonator" in Band of Brothers...he might pull off the psychotic nuance of Gemini quite well.....then again....so might the guy that JJ Abrams cast in Kirk's role...he might pull it off pretty well too....(just think of his performance as the lead "tremor-brother" in Smokin Aces?)

    Peace & Light
    I can't recall anything Karl Urban has been in, so I'm unsure as to his fit as Thundarr.

    You're mistaken about Ariel's ancestry. She's Chinese, or at the very least Asian. In the episode Battle Of The Barbarians (one of my favorites) she said to Ookla, "This Village is an Old Earth Chinatown. My own ancestors may have lived in a place very much like this." Thus all of the actresses I've chosen are Chinese/Asian.

    As for Ookla being a CGI character? HHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL NOOOOO! The last thing we need in Hollywood is another Jar Jar Binks. I say go Chewbacca/Vincent with the character (Vincent being Ron Perlman's character on TV's Beauty & The Beast). It worked in Star Wars and on Beauty & The Beast, it'll work on Thundarr (not to mention look better).

    Michael Ironside and Gary Oldman are Hollywoods two best villainous actors. Logically, Gemini makes the most sense as the villain as he's the most memorable from the show. However, fans of the show hunger to see an origins story and as such the villain should be Sabien.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    45
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Misfeldt View Post
    I can't recall anything Karl Urban has been in, so I'm unsure as to his fit as Thundarr.

    He was Theodin's Eldest in LotR
    He found his father slain and sister mortally wounded on the plains of rohan
    Oops on Ariel....just knew she wasn't white...(at least I was right in the far east category)
    Ookla I still have to hand over to CGI but as for Gemini...same reason....I thought of Sam "what's-his-name" for acting versitlity...with modern effects...they can make anyone look like anybody....but Micheal Ironside (While I grant you "looks" perfect to the role)...I have only 2 words for you: Highlander Two
    Oldman is DEAD-ON tho...I am all for that!

    Peace & Light (...& no sequel for Ironside)
    "I drank what?" Socrates

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    337
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryiedes View Post
    He was Theodin's Eldest in LotR
    He found his father slain and sister mortally wounded on the plains of rohan
    Oops on Ariel....just knew she wasn't white...(at least I was right in the far east category)
    Ookla I still have to hand over to CGI but as for Gemini...same reason....I thought of Sam "what's-his-name" for acting versitlity...with modern effects...they can make anyone look like anybody....but Micheal Ironside (While I grant you "looks" perfect to the role)...I have only 2 words for you: Highlander Two
    Oldman is DEAD-ON tho...I am all for that!

    Peace & Light (...& no sequel for Ironside)
    I knew the name was familiar. Guess I'll have to rewatch The Two Towers again (not that I mind).

    A lot of people get confused as to Ariel's ancestry. Her name sounds European, but she looks too dark to be caucasian, and Battle Of The Barbarians is the closest she'd ever come to giving a back story. Most people don't even remember that bit because the show's not officially out on DVD and very few networks show it in reruns. Only reason I know so much is I watch my bootleg DVDs on a fairly regular basis.

    CGI Ookla? Hell No! Not for a main character like that. LOTR was so awsome because the orcs and the uruk-hai were all actors, stuntmen, and extras in latex prosthetic makeup. On the other hand, the Star Wars prequels all sucked because George Lucas put five actors in front of a green screen and did everything else through CGI. I would hunt down and kill any producer or director who tried to make a Thundarr movie the same way.

    You can't judge Michael Ironside for his performance in Highlander 2. That movie sucked all around. That doesn't change the fact that Sean Connery, Michael Ironside, and Christopher Lambert have all made excellent movies before and since. The writers, director, and producers of that monumental piece of crap didn't give two s#!ts about the source material, so they let their actors have some fun with their roles and it shows in their performances. If given the role of Gemini and told to take it seriosly, Michael Ironside would be awsome.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Here are my third string selections:

    Dolph Lundgren As Thundarr The Barbarian



    Tia Carrere as Princess Ariel


    Peter Mayhew As Ookla The Mok

    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    My Seconday Choice For Princess Ariel's Stepfather, Sabien The Wizard


    Mako Iwamatsu
    Last edited by Tony Misfeldt; 11-17-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    45
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Okay I grant ya, one movie is no reason to pan ironside...only because as bad as ironside was in that flick...it was not the reason why the movie blew....I concede the point.

    I have no reason for think CGI for the mok figuring...his head is cgi....it would have to be....why stop at the head?
    Most mok feats are far into the realm of cgi or effect....even minor displays of strength....no other "reason" per se.

    Now that you mentioned it ....I vaguely recall them rescuing that asian style community and they seemed like they knew had a connection to Miss A?

    It has been over 20plus years since I saw it and the last one I saw was the one with the time machine...to go back and get the fuse for the defence computer so the droids would defend the townsfolk from marauders.

    Made an oops.....father and sister fallen on plains of GONDOR...not rohan as I had said...try EP III instead...but yes, he lead the Rohirim from exile in EP II...(with regards to urban)
    He was also Dr McCoy in JJ's latest travesty
    Last edited by Eryiedes; 11-17-2009 at 09:48 PM.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    337
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryiedes View Post
    Okay I grant ya, one movie is no reason to pan ironside...only because as bad as ironside was in that flick...it was not the reason why the movie blew....I concede the point.

    I have no reason for think CGI for the mok figuring...his head is cgi....it would have to be....why stop at the head?
    Most mok feats are far into the realm of cgi or effect....even minor displays of strength....no other "reason" per se.

    Now that you mentioned it ....I vaguely recall them rescuing that asian style community and they seemed like they knew had a connection to Miss A?

    It has been over 20plus years since I saw it and the last one I saw was the one with the time machine...to go back and get the fuse for the defence computer so the droids would defend the townsfolk from marauders.

    Made an oops.....father and sister fallen on plains of GONDOR...not rohan as I had said...try EP III instead...but yes, he lead the Rohirim from exile in EP II...(with regards to urban)
    He was also Dr McCoy in JJ's latest travesty
    Ookla's feats of strength might have to be done in CG, but that doesn't necessarily mean the entire character has to be. Not even his head. Look at how Ron Perlman looked as Vincent on Beauty & The Beast. That's all makeup, no CGI, and looks almost exactly how I think a live action Ookla should look. And Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca. Again, all makeup and no CGI (especially since they didn't have the technology back in '77, but that's beside the point). Now look at The Great Khali in my forst post. Like Rone Perlman, he has the perfect face for gluing stuff onto to make him look like a beast. Moks are essentially mutant lions, combining the features of lions and humans in much the same way minotaurs combine the features of humans and bulls in ancient Greek myths.

    As for Urban? Oh, him! Crap I keep forgetting that guy's name. But you're right, he is a pretty good actor. And he was pretty buff in Pathfinder. He might actually make a pretty good Thundarr.

    You can find complete episodes of Thundarr The Barbarian on You Tube. And www.thundarr.com has links to websites where you can order bootleg DVDs online.

    I've been writing some Thundarr fan fictions. I've published them on www.fanfiction.net. My first one is a Thundarr/Dungeons & Dragons cartoon crossover story. It's called Thundarr The Barbarian & The Lost Children. You can read it at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5447024/1/Thundarr.

    My other story is called Thundarr The Barbarian in Return Of The Pirate Queen. You can find that one at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5447038/...e_Pirate_Queen. It's a sequel to the episode Treasure Of The Moks, and to a lesser extent Trial By Terror.

    I have a third story called Thundarr The Barbarian in Dead Of Night, but that one's still a work in progress.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    45
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I don't know why GURPS never reprinted Horseclans for 4E

    Peace & Light (...& Confusion)
    "I drank what?" Socrates

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    337
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryiedes View Post
    I don't know why GURPS never reprinted Horseclans for 4E

    Peace & Light (...& Confusion)
    What?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    45
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Misfeldt View Post
    What?
    Horseclans was Gamma World like setting based on novels by Alan Dean Foster I think.
    It was released for first edition gurps and (don't quote me on this) I believe it was the first GURPS sourcebook to introduce the mass combat system.
    Until the release of GURPS After the Bomb...Horseclans was all GURPS had to offer for Post-Apocalytic entertainment.
    Hope it helps

    Peace & Light (...& Explainations)
    "I drank what?" Socrates

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    337
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I've written some Thundarr Fan Fiction and posted them on www.fanfiction.net.


    You can find my story Thundarr The Barbarian & The Lost Children at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5447024/1/Thundarr. If you want to write a review of my stories on that site, please feel free to do so.

    My other story Thundarr The Barbarian in Return Of The Pirate Queen can be found at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5447038/...e_Pirate_Queen. Again, for those of you interested in writing a review please feel free to do so.

    I have a third story in progress called Thundarr The Barbarian in Dead Of Night, but it's far from finished though. It's kinda like Thundarr The Barbarian meets Night Of The Living Dead. If you put a search in the website you can at least read what I've got so far. Any criticisms would be appreciated. Enjoy!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    45
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    D&D cartoon meets Thundarr.
    Very original.

    Peace & Light (...& Demon Dogs)
    "I drank what?" Socrates

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    337
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryiedes View Post
    Horseclans was Gamma World like setting based on novels by Alan Dean Foster I think.
    It was released for first edition gurps and (don't quote me on this) I believe it was the first GURPS sourcebook to introduce the mass combat system.
    Until the release of GURPS After the Bomb...Horseclans was all GURPS had to offer for Post-Apocalytic entertainment.
    Hope it helps

    Peace & Light (...& Explainations)
    Is this the game you were talking about?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    45
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    No....that can't possibly be official.
    Tremendous effort though.

    Peace & Light
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Playing in Thundarr
    By ronpyatt in forum General RPG / Industry Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 06:00 PM
  2. [Crafty] ENnies 2009: Cast Your Vote Today!
    By pkapera in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 06:22 PM
  3. Movie>Actor>Movie
    By kirksmithicus in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 05-02-2009, 11:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •