Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: One Geek to Another - Fair Play

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

One Geek to Another - Fair Play

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Dear One Geek,

How does one deal with a Game Master who is blatantly unfair? I'm talking about folks who run games who either pandering to certain players, or apply different standards to different players?

I recently had an experience where I was given the short end of the stick while the (very attractive) girl in the game could do whatever she wanted, and got all the best toys.

How would you suggest handling a situation like this?

Thanks!

- Wants Fair Play

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Hartley
    Dear Fair Play,

The first thing to do in any situation where you feel you are being wronged is to take a step back and make sure you're being unbiased yourself. Give yourself some time to look at the scenarios with as un-biased an eye as possible and take note of specific situations where you feel rules calls have been made incorrectly in favor of the other player, or against you. Are there any extenuating circumstances that might have been in play? Is the special treatment you feel the other player is receiving a one-time-thing, or is it an on-going problem? Was your ill treatment in one particular situation, or has it been a problem over multiple game sessions? Is it possible that your perceptions are affecting how you view the situation, or is the favoritism blatantly clear to the group as a whole? ...
    [Read More]

Downloads
    Uploads

Life is not fair.

Impartiality and even handedness in any social environment is an unreachable Utopian ideal even with the best of intentions. When it comes to roleplayig, some players will be favored over others in various ways and for various reasons. That is just how it is. I have been on both ends of this as a player and have been guilty of it as a GM as well. So you simply have to accept it as a fact of gaming life and life in general.