Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Anyone still playing Basic Roleplaying?

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone still playing Basic Roleplaying?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I was curious if anyone was playing the Basic Rolplaying Sysytem (BRP). I am also interested if anyone is using it to play Call of Cthulu or Elric still, but was mainly wondering if anyone is doing a non-Cthu'lu/Elric game of BRP, and if so, what you are playing?

-Will-

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Every once in a while my group plays CoC for a bit, often on Halloween if nothing else. Played Runequest a few times, but it's been a long time, over a decade, since any of us used any non COC BRP.
    Abstruse Decapod

"Why aren't i just be able to write adventures that don't require crap like an Amish rpg?" -myself

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to know! I'm just getting ready to run it for the first time, I wonder if it's just not popular, or is there some fatal flaw to BRP that makes people not play it?

-Will-

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have a CoC campaign going right now that is being run by one of the GMs in the group. It's set during prohibition.

I'm working on getting a fantasy or weird west game starting using BRP myself.

As far as how popular it is or not...

I think a lot of that is due to the minimal marketing it gets by the company. The guys at Chaosium don't have the big budget like Wizards does, so it tends to be a sleeper system. I personally prefer it to other systems, especially level based systems. But sometimes it's hard to get players to switch from DnD to it.
    Last edited by Skunkape; 09-30-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added aditional thought about popularity of system.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    The guys at Chaosium don't have the big budget like Wizards does, so it tends to be a sleeper system.
    That's an understatement. Chaosium is basically four guys; they use freelancers to actually write books. CoC is their "cash cow"; of their previous lines only "core" BRP remains, and their Magic World line is just getting started.

Mongoose re-implemented the system several years back for their own version of RQ. Last year they lost the RuneQuest license, which went to The Design Mechanism, so Mongoose renamed their version to Legend.

So that's three companies who invested at the system: one is a shadow of its former self, another is backing away from RPGs, and a third just started last year. The system is sound, but RPG companies aren't doing well in this economy.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    So that's three companies who invested at the system: one is a shadow of its former self, another is backing away from RPGs, and a third just started last year. The system is sound, but RPG companies aren't doing well in this economy.
    Like who is outside of the 1%?

I can't call myself a fan of BRP I've used it I know Chaosium has not let it languish into a gaming fossil.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Like who is outside of the 1%?

I can't call myself a fan of BRP I've used it I know Chaosium has not let it languish into a gaming fossil.
    [offtopic]long time no see, tesral. =D good to hear from you, hope all is well. [/offtopic]

never played it myself.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    First time I played CoC I played in a 1920's game as a train travelin' hobo and took Language: Hobo signs. This immediately made me love the system!

-Will-

Downloads
    Uploads
    BRP system is a good system that is timeless. I am currently in a long term email campaign and we use BRP for the system as we are terraformers on Mars.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still running a weird west campaign using BPR with the Pathfinder spells bolted on. I'm also running a fantasy BRP campaign with the Pathfinder spells bolted on it as well. So far, both campaigns are coming along very nicely.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime