Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tell me About Your Favorite Setting - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me About Your Favorite Setting

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    You'd have the best time of your life doing it, admit it.
    I've done that kind of work, it's a merciless grind. It is grand to have it finished, but a lot of bitter struggle getting there.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One of those things where you hate it while you do it, but love it when its done? Those can be irritating. Sort of like graduate school.
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There seems to be a theme here...

Homebrew-Fantasy: Been in development for 20+ yrs, Large map, Classic Greek to 1600's Magical technology. Most of the "Monster Races" have gone in to the mists with bloodlines left. ( Bloodlines: Titan, LeShay, Siren, etc...) Illithids are aquatic creatures. Many other unique changes, Heavy influence from Greyhawk

Future: Post Apoc, - Completely Homebrew Game, although D20 modern seems to adapt well, if that stuff ever gets dusted off

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If we're talking "fantasy" in the generally accepted "ancient world of might and magic" sense then I suppose I have two favorite settings: AD&D's Dark Sun campaign setting and, just recently, the land of Lemuria from Barbarians of Lemuria.

Both are rather "sword-and-sorcery" at their roots about mysterious and unforgiving landscapes, wicked and power-hungry priests and sorcerers, and fearless heroes armed only with courage and steel. They are places where magic is ancient and awe-inspiring and where deeds have more value than words.
    HARRY DRESDEN ó WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite setting is of course my homebrewed world of Erinthar. I started it way back in '85 and have tried to keep it current with the various editions of D&D
    Never trust a smiling GM, that's when they're dangerous.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of..."

Conan ftw!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Forgotten Realms for sure - which by the way we interviewed Ed Greenwood on his view of gaming today and its impact on society in Big Iron Vault #3. This will also be followed up with a video interview early next year.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Big Iron Vault Magazine now online! www.bigironvault.com

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am currently running a game in the Osirion / Qadira & Katapesh areas of Golarion for Pathfinder. I enjoy it a lot since it's somewhat like an Al-Qadim setting. Pretty much any desert environment works for me..
    even Dark-Sun.

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Rest of my life to finish. You just want me to give up gaming to work on it full time.
    LOL and from first hand experience, its like a second job.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Big Iron Vault Magazine now online! www.bigironvault.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kumbrya, my Home Dark Ages/Norman Era setting. I admit that I've had a lot of fun in Hyboria (Howard) and Middle Earth over the years. At the moment I am working on resurrecting Horseclans from the mists of obscurity.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bigironvault View Post
    LOL and from first hand experience, its like a second job.
    I don't have a first job. So I technically have the time.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Published

The Forgotten Realms: This world is so vast, with so many empires and kingdoms, heroes and villains, a skilled DM can run a campaign in this setting for years and never have his PC's meet Elminster, King Azoun, Khelben Blackstaff, or Drizzt Do'Urden once throughout their entire adventuring career.

Homebrew

The Isles: This is the campaign setting designed by my last DM. I like it because he went out of his way to make it truly unique and not just another run of the mill fantasy setting. Here are some of the things he did to make the world stand out from the crowd:

1) The horse never evolved on this world. This means that no armies have a cavalry. Dwarves might have a cavalry mounted on pigs. Gnomes might have a cavalry mounted on long horned sheep. Goblins might have a cavalry mounted on wolves. But no human nation has a cavalry. Some wealthy aristocrats ride domesticated deer, but most people travel by foot or ox drawn cart/wagon.

2) There are no Halflings: As Halflings and Gnomes fill the same niche in gaming, my DM saw very little reason to have both as PC races. So he eliminated the Halfling from the choice of playable PC races. There's actually an elaborate on interesting story as to why there are no Halflings on his world (they did exist once, but are now extinct). But I don't want to go into it right now.

3) Giants are extinct: I never learned exactly why this is, but the closest thing you'll find to an actual giant in The Isles are ogres.

4) There are no elves: You know how the elves were leaving Middle Earth for the Undying Lands in LOTR? Well something very similar happened here hundreds of years ago. Now the elves are little more than legends, and many people doubt that they ever existed at all. They may return one day. But for now, all that's left of them are ancient stories.

5) There are no dragons: Like the elves and Halflings, dragons once existed on this world. They became involved in a bitter war with the illithids. Chromatic and metallic dragons actually put their differences aside to join forces against a common foe. The war nearly wiped out both the illithids and dragon kind. The surviving dragons fled to another dimension/plane of existence in order to regroup, while the illithids fled deep into the Earth. Neither has been seen for centuries, and even the oldest dwarves doubt their existence. Dragons may return some day. When, I do not know.

6) High level magic works differently, and sometimes not at all: The back story for The Isles is fairly similar to that of Krynn. Thousands of years ago mankind did something stupid which majorly pissed off the gods. The gods demonstrated their Wrath, nearly wiping out all life on The Isles and setting civilization back several hundred years. Only recently has man rebuilt to the point where conflicts between empires over land have once again become common place. A side effect of The Great Cataclysm is that high level magic (generally any spell above 5th level) works differently than listed in the Players Handbook. For example, Resurrection requires a sacrifice of a person of equal value (so in order to resurrect a 5th level fighter, the cleric would have to sacrifice a character of at least 5th level).

7) There are no half breed races: Humans and orcs aren't just two different races, they're two different species. Thus intercourse between the two does not result in the birth of a half-orc. Of course this means that half-orcs are no longer a playable PC race. Neither are half-ogres or any other human/humanoid hybrid. Orcs and ogres have been reclassified as goblinoids, which means that orogs and ogrillons are still possible NPC races. To fill the place vacated by the half-orc, hobgoblins are now a playable PC race.

8) There are some very interesting kingdoms and empires which the DM has created. Many of them were created based on actual ancient cultures of Earth's history. The Jalacean Domain is loosely based on the culture of Ancient Rome. The Amarelian Empire is loosely based on Ancient Greece. The kingdom of Gaddry is loosely based on medieval England, France, and Spain. The Quimeshari Empire is loosely based on the Persians. New Tejerahmn is loosely based on North Africa. Carboros is loosely based on the Scandinavians. There's an island nation of Bazim Khara, which is populated almost entirely by hobgoblins. And there are some other nations that I don't quite recall just now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Edit: Double Post
    Last edited by Tony Misfeldt; 03-19-2017 at 05:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12