Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What about a new sci-fi setting?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • IF it's something completely new. Don't need more of the same Thank You.

10 15.63%
  • I like having SOME of the standard stuff in there, but you need to bring SOMETHING new to the table.

31 48.44%
  • I don't want or need ANY new sci-fi setting Thank You.

1 1.56%
  • If I find it interesting, maybe. Otherwise, I don't care.

22 34.38%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What about a new sci-fi setting?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    stations next to jump gates make for good adventure hubs

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What sci-fi tropes are you tired of seeing in sci-fi settings?
    Humans being the dominant race in the galaxy or the ones that make things happen. Stop with the enlightened society. Look at the way things are going right now, call me cynic, but enlightenment is the last things that is going to happen and probably not until it's too late, if it isn't already.

What things would you LIKE to see in a new sci-fi setting?
    Non-Humanocentric setting where humans are the invaders or completely wiped out and the other aliens in the universe are trying to find out why.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How about an rpg based on the Dune setting? I've considered doing that myself. But I'm not sure if there is enough playability on a world where there is little more than sand and giant earthworms. I suppose it would depend on the style of campaign you went with though, as there are political struggles aplenty and with enough thought and imagination, a good GM (and fan of the Dune series) could make something out of it.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    At least the Monster Manual would be short.

Firefly rpg does indeed sound awesome. So many ideas, so little time. No frakkin' gamers on campus I can find...
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There was a Lensman game done, it sucked. A better Lensman game would be cool.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I want more space pirates. Interstellar cosa nostra! Galaxy-spanning religions! Unjust authorities opressing "lower" cultures. Massive battles employing exotic tech. World-smashing tech! Star-smashing tech (Cthulu!) Dopplegangers from Mars! Slave traders from Mars! Riddick! Smugglers! The Borg! a smellascope!

ARRRGG There's never enough!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You forgot the space dreadnaughts bristling with atomic weaponry.
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    I want more space pirates. Interstellar cosa nostra! Galaxy-spanning religions! Unjust authorities opressing "lower" cultures. Massive battles employing exotic tech. World-smashing tech! Star-smashing tech (Cthulu!) Dopplegangers from Mars! Slave traders from Mars! Riddick! Smugglers! The Borg! a smellascope!

ARRRGG There's never enough!

You looking for something like this!:

"I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    You looking for something like this! ...
    Awesome. Yes. An Ice Pirates game (or something along that vein) could be hilarious fun!
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is another option, though it would be hard and time consuming.

Make your own setting.

Being a sci-fi writer I tend to do this myself naturally, but sci-fi can be hard to come up wth new stuff because it gets recycled alot (stupid alien lizards conquering Charon...) You know it's late when I argue with myself while posting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like a setting that has some meat on its bones,

I mean when your playing in a Si Fi world millions or more years in the future, you need some history! i mean why are there more humans then other races? was there a war? who won? HOW? and how did it change the worlds?

Speaking of wars with worlds, how come its always side 1(good guys) VS side 2(bad guys) were the war gos on between these 2 worlds for 100 to 1000 years... I mean how dos that happen? with star crushing death rays how come 2 nabors fightning has lasted so long? is there like 80 years of traval time between battles? Its understandable when its 20 worlds on 20 worlds, but a 1v1? =.=

Well sorry for complaining, when you make a history thats war filled, but give a good reason why they have been at war for 2,350 years!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LordChicken View Post
    I like a setting that has some meat on its bones,

I mean when your playing in a Si Fi world millions or more years in the future, you need some history! i mean why are there more humans then other races? was there a war? who won? HOW? and how did it change the worlds?

Speaking of wars with worlds, how come its always side 1(good guys) VS side 2(bad guys) were the war gos on between these 2 worlds for 100 to 1000 years...

I like Alternity's Star Drive for this purpose. There were wars, but they were messy, multi-party affairs started for complex reasons, not lasting long but dramatically shaping the landscape of the setting. (I was just singing the praises of this setting in another thread...)

Star Drive had a LOT of what I love in space opera, and I'd love to see it revisited.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    You looking for something like this!:

I loooove Ice Pirates. I make my wife sit through that movie with me once a year. That would be an amazing game setting.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZog View Post
    I like Alternity's Star Drive for this purpose. There were wars, but they were messy, multi-party affairs started for complex reasons, not lasting long but dramatically shaping the landscape of the setting. (I was just singing the praises of this setting in another thread...)

Star Drive had a LOT of what I love in space opera, and I'd love to see it revisited.
    I loooove Alternity. The Mechalus is my favorite race of all time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think something I don't see too many of are sundivers. The kind of ships that arn't just proof against damage from flying near a sun, but are designed to fly INTO them for various reasons, from refueling to just hiding.

Can you imagine the amount of power you can store up if you could tap into the power of a star directly? Even one of those ships flying around would be the same category as the flying dutchman. Powerful, bloody rare, and something folks would be willing to go to war for at just the rumors of.

Things I don't like to see in a sci-fi setting? Heavy soap operas/dramas don't entice me too much. Part of the fun with sci-fi is to explore technology that we could only wish for now. Stuff like BSG, pure utter drivel. Yuck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Alternity

I must agree the Alternity setting was a pretty fun universe. There was plenty to do there.

One of my gripes with Sci-fi setting is the humanoid alien syndrome. Star Trek and Star Wars are both fairly guilty of this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast