Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Good system?

Downloads
    Uploads

Good system?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Looking for a good futuristic system to play. Not Rifts or Shadowrun. Want it to be pretty simple yet fun. In other words not rule packed. "Hack and slash" type if that exists.

I have been pen and paper RPG'n for 21 years and have never played Traveller, what version would be better, the d20 or the classic?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you looked into dark heresy. It's warhamm
    er 40k roleplay very hack and slash. Deadly and fast paced

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though I love most d20 games I would say classic Traveler would be my favorite of the two.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well the best Sci-Fi game IMO is Eclipse Phase, that said... it may not really be a hack and slash game. More of a Call of Cthulhu in space.

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the replies. does dark H have better rules than warhammer? Personally i think warhammer has some of the worst combat rules I have ever seen in a game. 1d6 here, 1d6 there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dark heresy is all d10 its a percentage based roll and all damage is d10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ah kewl I will check it out. Sounds like Battlelords or even Cyber Punk as far as the system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check out Stars Without Number, a old school with new school ideas RPG that smashes basic D&D and classic Traveller, remixes, with extra dashes of awesome in creating aliens, creatures, and space sectors. Seriously a cool game and the PDF is free!
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the most simple game systems I ever was called "Necro Morka." It was a home brew obviously, something of a fusion between Necromunda and Gorka Morka. Percentile based and super easy to pick up and put down. If you'd like I could try to find it again and send it to you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would wholeheartedly recommend Savage Worlds, Cortex, or d6 for any futuristic setting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eclipse Phase is an awesome setting. Heavy scifi, Post apoc, horror and paranoia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like others have said, 40k RPGs are pretty simplistic. I've played the Deathwatch stuff quite a bit, and it obviously meant for more hack-n-slash than RP.

It makes for a very good game to just pick up and play here and there, or go long term. The mission style of gameplay makes sessions very flexible. My PCs had a blast competing VS each other to see who could get the most kills from the huge hordes, and we had one guy that was all about finding and challenging the biggest guy on the field.

If you are interested in checking it out, me and a friend are trying to get a group together here on the forums, actually:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...atch-RPG-Skype

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rolemaster2 is a good set & so is it's rules lite spin off Cyberspace. both are available via PDF legally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I second the calls for Savage Worlds. It's a good, generic, rules-light system that can easily be played in space.

Also, Silhouette is another good system that can be used for any setting--it even has supplements for getting sci-fi specific with entries on mechs and spaceships and all that.
    "You know what the key to scavenging is? Surviving. You know the key to surviving? Sneaking in and out. Tiptoeing, not shooting up the streets like it's the OK Corral."