Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: To cross the Greypeaks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    She leans back, pondering Ferrous' question. Her ashen lips and brow furrowed with thought. "Change is in the air and has seemed to follow me about for most of my days. I was the first priest of the Keeper that was not male. It had never just never been done before and many were resistant to it. It was Thane Osk who fought hard and eventually decided it. I have a feeling he even went so far as defying many elders in so doing, though I could not say for certain."

"It was he that dictated my duties amongst the chosen. He that spoke of that blessed area and he that instilled enough faith that I recognize your presence there as a sign," her soft eyes turning from the bleak weather outside to your own.

"I thought it presumptuous to even propose I journey with you all, yet he read my mind. I have often felt close to him as a Thane and friend. I can not say whether it be Osk himself or Dumathoin guiding his hand, but I feel change in the air and more hinges upon our success then a simple trade agreement. It is our crucible, our decision whether we shall fade as so many others or emerge into the world again and reclaim our place," her voice rising in emotion. She seems startled as she finishes and shyly laughs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ferous smiles as she finishes her words. He reaches out and places his hand upon hers.

"I'm very happy and not surprised at all at the Thanes decision."

He gives her hand a slight squeeze and then withdraws it, still looking upon her.

"I thought it was a given that you would go, it only seemed apropriate. Did Thane Osk teach you personally, or did you learn from other priests? Either way, those teachers of yours must be proud at who and what you have become. Dont be so surprised at your position and quest, mum. You have earned it."

He looks back to the fire and shakes his head.

"Your right, change is in the air, I am beginning to sound like you."

Looking back at her.

"Either way, I am very happy you came and are here Dolastyr."

Downloads
    Uploads
    She nodded in agreement, her eyes drifting back toward the fire.

She motioned and stood quietly as she made her way toward the opening to the cavern.

"I want to see the stars," she whispered. She crept slowly her grace being quite remarkable.

Together they sat staring at the stars, enjoying the cool wind upon their face. The rain had finally abated some and though only a few specks of light peeked in the sparse openings, the watch passed quickly and uneventfully.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A soft shake wakes Ertryd from her slumber. "Hey Ertryd, you awake?" in a young voice that sounds much too excited for this late in the evening.

"No she ain't awake you ninny, she was sleepin" replies a gruffer voice in consternation. Thoriken had wanted to let her sleep through the watch, but apparently he had not kept quite a close eye on Barur as he had wanted to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Well, I'm awake now. Is there some reason you want to speak with me, or is it my turn for the watch?" She sits up and stretches as she speaks to Barur, working her shoulder a little to loosen up the muscles tense from sleeping on the ground.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "I was just gonna ask her a question," Barur replies in a slightly hurt voice.

"I was gonna be lettin ya sleep trough da night. Me an' the sleepin fairy coulda handled it fine, but its yer watch wit us. Yer welcome to be sleepin er watchin, I promise ta be keepin a better eye on me new partner," says Thoriken with a squinting eye trained upon the young dwarf.

"But, but... huh," says the younger dwarf in resignation. "Guess it can wait till morning," as he crawls away with shoulders shrugged and a downcast face.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "That's thoughtful of you Thoriken, though I plan to pull my own weight in our travelling party, so I'll take watch now." She turns to Barur, with a note of encouragement in her voice, "You can ask me that question now, unless it's something you wanted to keep private between us."

Downloads
    Uploads
    "I wern't sayin ya couldn't, just looked a bit tired was all," Thoriken says as an explanation. "Rain slacked off a bit, I'm gonna step outside a bit and get my bearin's" as he moves beyond the fire and toward the mouth of the cavern.

Barur just watches him with a look of misunderstanding, then stands and offers you a hand up. "We all get the same watch, us three. They said it could be dangerous, last watch and all," indicating the sleeping companions.

"So you suppose were going to be seeing any giants along the way? I've heard tell about some mountain cat that's dangerous, but the stories I read are pretty old," shrugging his young shoulders an excited look in his eyes. "What about orcs and goblins? I bet Thoriken would kill em and eat em," as he mimics his dialect toward the end of the conversation.

"Oh, I almost forgot," as he loudly spits upon the ground. It appears to not come naturally to the young dwarf. "He said to do that when you talk about them, did I do that right?" hoping she might shed some light on the strange and enigmatic custom. From outside the cavern she hears something that sounds like a heavy sigh and possibly a deep chuckle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ertryd smiles a little, "I'm sure you've done it just right, young Barur."

Straightening up again, she addresses the rest of his concerns, "It's certainly possible, maybe even probable, that we will come across some of those creatures on our travels. We just have to keep our wits about us and know our limits if we are to survive. We have some experienced warriors among our group, so I'm confident that we will make it to our destination alive." She smiles warmly to reassure the young dwarf.

"And as to Thoriken's dietary preferences: if he does eat orcs and goblins, you should ask him if he has any good recipies." Ertryd grins mischievously and glances over at the mouth of the cave to see if Thoriken has anything to add.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A loud hurrumph can be heard outside the cave, "all gristle..."

Barur laughs quietly at her joke. "The stars are wonderful outside, the clouds are still in the sky, but you can see a few peek out. You want to see them?" a spark of excitement again returning to his face.

Thoriken peeks his head just inside the cave a look of concern on his face,"I think me might have somtin out here dearies..." as the glint of his axe reflects the fire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Instantly serious, Ertryd grabs her bow and quiver as she heads quickly for the door. In a low voice, she asks Thoriken, "what do you see?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    He stands still some few feet away from the entrance, very still. "Think I saw sometin movin behind them trees," as he motions toward a copse some distance away.

As you peer over, your eyes slowly shift to the heat gradient and you too see something some small creatures behind the trees. They are very small, perhaps the size of a dwarf's head. They appear to be sitting very still.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "What sort of creature do you think they are?" she asks in a hushed voice. Ertryd grips her bow tighter, nervous at the prospect of a confrontation so early in their travels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He grips his axe in his hands, his eyes squinting sharply. "Cain't say fer sure. Sure do look a bit small... Whadda ya suppose lives up 'ere?"

Barur looks from behind the two of you, peering hesitantly. "Are those rabbits?" he asks in a questioning voice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ertryd momentarily has a look of surprise and embarrassment on her face, but hastily wipes the look off in an attempt to preserve some level of dignity. She clears her throat and attempts a recovery, "Well, at least we know we have the option to hunt for fresh meat when we get tired of the rations."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast