Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Fave historical rpg and/or setting? - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fave historical rpg and/or setting?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Gregory Keyes's Age of Unreason series of books would make a cool setting.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

So,when i was growing up i watched two shows in particular because Robert Conrad and my dad look alike. Ba-Ba Black Sheep was one and Wild Wild West was the other. Wild Will Smith sucked - i'll just leave that, but recently, after my dad passed away, i bought season 1 of Wild Wild West on DVD. These stand up REALLY WELL. James bond meets the wild west - good acting, great sets, dialog - well, its a product of its time. But, it made me want to run a wild west setting based on this premise - the character working for either the government, a foreign power, or anarchists+confederate malcontents. I'm busy for a few weeks, but i/m going to watch the whole set and then run a few games.

All i can say is i hope i can scrounge a few players out of my other groups to get at least one game day in for this idea...

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by templeorder View Post
    So,when i was growing up i watched two shows in particular because Robert Conrad and my dad look alike. Ba-Ba Black Sheep was one and Wild Wild West was the other. Wild Will Smith sucked - i'll just leave that, but recently, after my dad passed away, i bought season 1 of Wild Wild West on DVD. These stand up REALLY WELL. James bond meets the wild west - good acting, great sets, dialog - well, its a product of its time. But, it made me want to run a wild west setting based on this premise - the character working for either the government, a foreign power, or anarchists+confederate malcontents. I'm busy for a few weeks, but i/m going to watch the whole set and then run a few games.

All i can say is i hope i can scrounge a few players out of my other groups to get at least one game day in for this idea...
    I recently bought the entire series of Wild Wild West and I'm currently on the second season. Great series overall. But there are definitely a few duds in there as well. And yeah, I've also thought it would be a cool setting for an RPG.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Downloads
    Uploads
    Applying a sort Steam-Punk veneer to any given era in history would also yield fun and interesting results

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been thinking about playing a Garden of Eden game...maybe it's too far in the past. There's only room for one hero, but it's pretty cool putting different templates, undead, lycanthrope, fiendish, on the monster, er, Eve.
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.30
    http://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DMMike View Post
    I've been thinking about playing a Garden of Eden game...maybe it's too far in the past. There's only room for one hero, but it's pretty cool putting different templates, undead, lycanthrope, fiendish, on the monster, er, Eve.
    Not necessarily, honestly, in that setting, i think Adam would serve better as an NPC. The PCs would fill the roles of protectors, of Adam, Eve, the Garden, maybe even heaven itself. They could be angels, or devils, or anything you could think of. There would be a great deal of potential in a setting after the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the garden. The christian story of the garden is the story of the advent and ascension of man, but that doesnt mean there couldnt be countless other creations that were older than man but werent chosen as the masters of the world, or were created to fill specific roles in the world of man. This could birth all sorts of stories, jealous angels, scheming demons, renegade protectors, failed creations... and dont underestimate the vast potential of Lilith...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the cool things about my time travel campaign is that it dealt with not just one version of the world and therefore one version of a time-line, but with many alternate versions of the world each with its own creation story. So not only did we explore the Biblical version, but also the wholly scientific version and the creation myths of Egypt and Sumer. If I ever resume that campaign the plan is explore the creation myths of other cultures as well.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been seriously thinking about Dungeons and Dragons in space. Yeah I know, I hate myself, too.
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoitash View Post
    I've been seriously thinking about Dungeons and Dragons in space. Yeah I know, I hate myself, too.
    It's been done. It's called Spelljammer. And it's actually a pretty cool setting if you don't mind throwing everything you know about physics out the window.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by templeorder View Post
    Wild Wild West was steampunk before the term was invented. I remember watching it as a kid.

I also suggest you look up "Brisco County Junior" I understand on hearsay that it has a similar flavor.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhemedes View Post
    It's been done. It's called Spelljammer. And it's actually a pretty cool setting if you don't mind throwing everything you know about physics out the window.
    Or, at least, the stuff that wasn't already thrown out with the game's title word "Dragon"

Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Wild Wild West was steampunk before the term was invented. I remember watching it as a kid.

I also suggest you look up "Brisco County Junior" I understand on hearsay that it has a similar flavor.
    I'll second this, with a "Bruce Campbell~!" justification. The primary MacGuffin tends towards the supernatural, but there's plenty of steampunk nods to future technologies. (Also, Bruce Campbell~)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    Or, at least, the stuff that wasn't already thrown out with the game's title word "Dragon"

I'll second this, with a "Bruce Campbell~!" justification. The primary MacGuffin tends towards the supernatural, but there's plenty of steampunk nods to future technologies. (Also, Bruce Campbell~)
    Well, I don't know of any other D&D settings where all solid objects have a gravity field that bisects them and which carry with them an envelope of air whenever they pass from an atmosphere into the vacuum of space.

And yeah, with Wild Wild West, pretty much anything goes. Nothing is too outlandish there.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ow that hurt my head.
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I rectified the physics of Spelljammer. Restored Newtonian physics, changed the nature of the helms so as not to tie the poor abused magician up forever. Borrowed the jump system from "The Mote in God's Eye" for getting from system to system, and in general made it mine.

Favorite Historical Setting? I have a fondness for the Tudor period. As a fantasy setting or straight up, I think a cool game could be done in that era.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post

I also suggest you look up "Brisco County Junior"
    Bruce Campbell is one of my favorites, king of the B movies!

See, she gets it
    Last edited by XeroDrift; 10-09-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast