Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Fave historical rpg and/or setting?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fave historical rpg and/or setting?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Fave historical rpg and/or setting?

For reasons unknown to me, I've been drawn lately to rpgs whose themes and settings are historically grounded, though at times enhanced with elements of fantasy. Alternative history rpgs would also fall into this category.

Just now I'd have to say my favorites in this mixed-historical genre are Savage World of Solomon Kane, Deadlands Reloaded, and Victoriana 2e.

What are your favorite historical and alt-historical rpgs and settings?
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a homebrew campaign that I run occasionally about a group of time travelers and we've skipped through many cool historical time periods. We started in prehistoric times from dealing with dinosaurs to dealing with cavemen. The last time I ran it, the group adventured in ancient Sumer and Egypt. Lots of fun.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WFRP: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Check it out; you'll love it. Very dark and gritty.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dark Ages: X (That is Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, Fae, Inquisitor)
    I also like the idea of Witchhunter: The invisible war but I'm not sold that any of the factions would work togeather.
    Also Requiem for Rome (supplement for Vampire: The Requiem) is very well done but I'm not a huge fan of Roman era stuff or Requiem.

If I had to pick only one Dark Ages: Vampire is by far my favorite game right now.
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 09-23-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dark Ages: Vampire, Chivalry and Sorcery.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The campaign I'm preparing right now is pretty much a DnD version of the change of France from an Absolute Monarchy to a Republic, with some treason, foreign wars, and international politics added.

I figure if the non combat sutff is interesting enough, they won't mind not fighting something every five minutes.
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ars Magica, I ran a great Hibernian covenant that was a very fun game. I set it in Monaghan county, near the city of Clones. Clan politics, fey history, and church incursions made it very memorable indeed.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tamburlain, tou might consider checking out Colonial Gothic. We recently did an interview with Richard Iorio that you might be interested in.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm throwing another vote out for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Tamburlain, tou might consider checking out Colonial Gothic. We recently did an interview with Richard Iorio that you might be interested in.
    I like the new version of Colonial Gothic. In fact it was your interview and Korhal's review that influenced me to give it a try. The 12-degree system works well for me. It's light, intuitive, and I really cotton on to the fate card mechanic, which reminds me of Burning Wheel's belief-based rp system.

Witch Hunter is okay, too. I'm not as happy with its core system as CG, but I like the setting fluff as much, if not more.

The historical rpg/setting that I'm really looking forward to playing is Spirits of '86, for Savage Worlds, which is being written by Matthew Cutter. He's the author of an amazing Deadlands supplement 'The Flood', so my expectations are high.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhemedes View Post
    I have a homebrew campaign... The last time I ran it, the group adventured in ancient Sumer and Egypt. Lots of fun.
    Sounds like my kinda game!

Did you hack 2e for a system? I know they're not 2e, but some of my favorite D&D modules were the Desert of Desolation series.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoitash View Post
    The campaign I'm preparing right now is pretty much a DnD version of the change of France from an Absolute Monarchy to a Republic, with some treason, foreign wars, and international politics added.

I figure if the non combat sutff is interesting enough, they won't mind not fighting something every five minutes.
    Another one that sounds like my kinda' game. Are you stripping the magic out completely? There is something brave about having a magic-free historical game, especially if technology is also minimized. It's hard to pull off in my experience, but with the right players/GM--who are really into a given period of history--it can be even more magical than with magic.
    Last edited by Tamburlain; 09-23-2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I figured I'd keep the magic, so it still has the DnD feel with the classes and races, but all the countries and continents are of my own design. I'm debating having spell components though, simply because the players are newbies.
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Before I moved to Florida, my old group did a Russian campaign during the era of Charlemagne (sp). It featured the staff of Roland, and various other famous artifacts from history. The DM did a lot of research. We figured out a way to make $$ by trading spices with the Turks. There were undead roaming the Syberian wastes. It was pretty cool.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ars Magica is a great setting for that stuff. I've not tried Warhammer yet but was considering it since I enjoy the tabletop game. Those who have tried Warhammer Fantasy is it something you'd recommend?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lomifeh View Post
    Ars Magica is a great setting for that stuff. I've not tried Warhammer yet but was considering it since I enjoy the tabletop game. Those who have tried Warhammer Fantasy is it something you'd recommend?
    Definitely! In fact, it is my favorite game of all time, even over dnd... and i've been playing dnd since the mid-70's. As far as edition is concerned, both editions are great, Also, fyi, there is a 3rd edition coming out soon that we WFRP fans are looking forward to, well, me anyway. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...te.asp?eidm=93
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In answer to your question Tamburlain, yes I did hack 2e - quite a bit in fact. I revamped the combat system a bit, gave the characters two sets of hit points (body points and stamina points) and created a critical hit system - all in an effort to make the game more realistic. It was a bit crunchy but the players enjoyed it. I also made it so that the characters could change classes and kits every time they jumped to a new time period and setting (similar to 3e but before 3e came out). After a while each of the characters had so many skills and abilities at their disposal it sometimes became tough for them to decide what to do - but no one ever complained about it.

As for using the Desert of Desolation, one of the players wanted me to use parts of it. But I had already run the module in its entirety twice and did not want to do it a third time (even though its a great module). Nevertheless, I had so much material on Egyptian-like settings that I never had any problem with finding things for them to do. In fact, if I ever pick the campaign up again, which I'd like to, I've got plenty more things left to do in Egypt alone.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast