Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fave historical rpg and/or setting?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Check out the Mythic Vistas series from Green Ronin. Testemant is a particular well done setting, taking place in the biblical era.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another fan of Ars Magica here. I really enjoy spinning real history in the context of the fantasy elements of the setting.

I'm also a fan of a couple of really old-school games, Space: 1889 and Lace & Steel, which draw upon historical elements. L&S is, however, like Warhammer, quasi-historical at best, being set in a fantasy analog of Europe, but a swashbuckling, English Civil War kind of setting. (I guess that means you can throw 7th Sea in here, because it's pretty much the same idea...)

Space: 1889 is making a slight comeback as a setting for Savage Worlds:

http://www.peginc.com/Art/Articles/Space1889/Space1889.html

Cheers,
    Patrick
    --
    Patrick M. Murphy, Ph.D.
    Mad Irishman Productions
    www.mad-irishman.net
    Slainte!

Downloads
    Uploads
    An old thread, yes, but I feel the need to throw in my two ducats worth anyway. I've been a gm for more than 30 years and have found, in that time, that historical or quasi historical settings are actually my favorites.

Straight Historical: Privateers and Gentlemen. An old FGU classic that takes place during the great age of fighting sail, 1744 to 1815. PCs are officers aboard Royal Navy warships a la Patrick O'Brian, Alexander Kent, C.S. Forester, et. al. As a reenactor and deep water sailor, this is my favorite setting.

Quasi Historical: Pendragon. I've run the canon setting (5th century "Arturian" Britain) and also used it for a 12th century Richard Lionheart based game.

I can't leave without mentioning Gang Busters, TSR's old cops and robbers masterpiece. Every now and then I just have to give myself a noir treat and run this little much ignored gem!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Arthurian era would be great, especially one that takes place at the fall of the Roman empire, when he supposedly lived.

Of course the risk of Monty Python jokes is astoundingly high
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm slightly partial to the Might of Rome, historical setting for AD&D...great info and setting, with options to transform it into an even better fantasy setting...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    I'm slightly partial to the Might of Rome, historical setting for AD&D...great info and setting, with options to transform it into an even better fantasy setting...
    Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    Life of Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hoitash View Post
    Of course the risk of Monty Python jokes is astoundingly high
    So, just like every other game out there, then?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Romans showed us how insanely awesome massive armies marchng in formation are.
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pendragon was the most fun game I ever ran as a GM. It was run as written the first time, including the magical and the nobility aspects. The second time I took out the magic and the nobility aspect was handled by the NPC's as no one really wanted to go there. Now I have taken the premise of Pendragon and combined some source material from Harn (great source material) using a simple d100 mechanics system to play a game set around the Lionhearted time period. History makes it easy for me to GM this time period. I guess it is run what you know.
    Last edited by mrken; 05-29-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also used Columbia Games' Lionheart supplement for a Pendragon setting. I found it to be a superior gaming experience. It constituted quite a bit of work on my part to update he character generation tables, but it was worth it. The players' disappointment at not reaching Jerusalem was one of the more moving incidents in my gming experience!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also used the Lionheart supplement for the second game. It is a great addition to the game or any game that is set in that time frame.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    Life of Brian

One could say they turned a horrendous shop class accident and turned it into a religion.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234