Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Fave historical rpg and/or setting? - Page 3
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fave historical rpg and/or setting?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm a fan of Pacesetter's TimeMaster, and also Man, Myth & Magic (I believe Yaquinto made that.)

I believe FGU also made a time travel game, I forgot the name. But I recall a viking scenario, a Vietnam fall of Saigon scenario and a Return to biblical Sodom scenario...might have been a different company.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im a Lord of The Rings fan, but games based on it are usually disappointing

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by XeroDrift View Post
    Gregory Keyes's Age of Unreason series of books would make a cool setting.
    How so? What are they like? I'm always up for new setting inspiration.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    I rectified the physics of Spelljammer. Restored Newtonian physics, changed the nature of the helms so as not to tie the poor abused magician up forever. Borrowed the jump system from "The Mote in God's Eye" for getting from system to system, and in general made it mine.

Favorite Historical Setting? I have a fondness for the Tudor period. As a fantasy setting or straight up, I think a cool game could be done in that era.
    Agreed! It would make a great setting.

I think one of the frequent advantages of games set in authentic historical periods is GM inspiration. Usually, if a GM chooses a particular historical period, it means that he/she has particular affection for it. In my experience, at least as a player, this affection usually translates into vivid scene-painting and interesting plot hooks.
    Last edited by Tamburlain; 10-10-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamburlain View Post
    How so? What are they like? I'm always up for new setting inspiration.
    Sort of hard to explain, its a kind of steampunk/alchemical story with some supernatural aspects thrown in starring Benjamin Franklin and Isaac Newton. Takes some historical figures and settings and wildly spins them, definitely worth reading even you don't convert it into a game world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamburlain View Post
    Agreed! It would make a great setting.

I think one of the frequent advantages of games set in authentic historical periods is GM inspiration. Usually, if a GM chooses a particular historical period, it means that he/she has particular affection for it. In my experience, at least as a player, this affection usually translates into vivid scene-painting and interesting plot hooks.
    Oldest advice in the book, "Write what you know". From personal experience I can tell you that it is good advice. When I get too far outside my comfort zone the games flounder.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Although Savage Worlds isn't my favourite system (it's not bad, I just prefer systems with more than 5 levels to an attribute to make more difference between character traits)... Anyways, The Pirates of the Spanish Main RPG (based loosely on the collectable poket model game) was pretty well done. Being a huge fan of pirates and the 17th century history in general made that a no brainer though. I like the concept of doing a 17th century game with GURPS, but haven't tried it yet.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anime, the muse - Vampire Hunter D

Having just watched the Vampire Hunter D pair of movies, that setting i would think could yield huge amounts of fun. Gothic horror, steam punk, sci-fi, fantasy - its sort of got something for everyone. Not sure its something i would take it on easily - a lot of thought for game balance would have to be put into it. But it could be a really rich experience...

I see "Twilight" out there - anyone ever played this?

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm fond of Skull and Crossbones, a d20-based game of piracy set in the Caribbean in the 17th century. It uses local voodoo and santeria beliefs as the basis for a magic system, but is otherwise set in a historical reality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoitash
    I've been seriously thinking about Dungeons and Dragons in space. Yeah I know, I hate myself, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhemedes View Post
    It's been done. It's called Spelljammer.
    And more recently it was called Dragonstar: D&D meets space opera.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me historically I love the world set up for Runequest if I do Middle Ages to Bronze age games, since the world is set to be around then.

But I also love me some 7th Seas. Really who can say no to the high age of Pirates, Privateers, and Swashbucklers.

For modern settings I often enjoyed the old World of Darkness or Scion systems that White wolf created.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite is Sengoku, since I'm all about 16th century Japan. Besides samurai and ninja, there are battling priests with multiple religions, a large variety of monsters, mountaintop sorcerers, and even a classic Dark Lord in the form of Oda Nobunaga. It's an era of rapidly increasing technology thanks to foreign trade, and one with a great deal of potential for social mobility: the warlord who eventually unifies the country starts life as a peasant. Basically, it's a setting where a large variety of stories can be told, from classic dungeon crawls to adventures that resemble science fiction.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I in a city that is like roman capital but it has magic, and orcs, elves, halflings, dwarfs, hill giants, ect... liveing in this one city getting along. At 1st I was confused but I read the city laws it was cool, the city is protected by guards and by magic, The magic keep people from harming others and the gaurds are there to make sure know one tries to get away with a robbery, or trying to dispell the protection that is casted on the city. I still think its cool.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After all the mentions in this thread, I am surprised to see not one mention of Pendragon. I do realize it is an old game, older than some of you who read this, but it is still a very good game. It also has a very real feeling in it as most of the magic is in the hands of NPC's and therefore can be easily striped out of the game.

The game says it is set between 450 and 550 AD or so, I tend to play it another 500 years into the future and it does not seem to suffer any from it. One can GM it with just the basic game of bring in the Nobles book and add another dimension to it. And if you wish you can bring in a fantasy aspect to it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From about 1600 to 1800 would be a very interesting period. I realize that is technically several periods, but it mainly the Renaissance, and primary colonization period.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's the feel I'm trying to get for the game I DM. The dwarven city filled with smog from forges helps, I think. So do the muskets.
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoitash View Post
    That's the feel I'm trying to get for the game I DM. The dwarven city filled with smog from forges helps, I think. So do the muskets.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast