Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing With A Large Party

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dealing With A Large Party

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Recently, I was part of a production of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged). After talking to the cast and discovering that they were all really into console role-playing games and books like the Dark Tower series, I asked them if they wanted to try table top. Five of them seemed interested and we decided to meet the following Saturday.

When Saturday rolled around our group had swelled to eight players and myself as the DM. Well, I thought, a couple of them will not like it. And I'll be down to something more manageable.

I was wrong.

We're playing a 3.5 campaign in a world we created using the Dawn of Worlds game I posted in another thread, and I'm wondering if any of you have advice for how to deal with such a large group?

The biggest issues I've faced thus far are XP rewards and a tendency for the party to split up along alignment lines, since there are so many people, all of the chaotic characters can do one thing, while the lawful characters do another.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!
    "Wit is educated insolence." - Aristotle

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always thought it best to guide the PC generation, along the lines of the game you want.

A lot of groups just have players generate "Whatever" and then try to make it fit.

So you end up with a witch type and a pirate type and a paladin and a necromancer.

Then it's expected to see these people on an adventure.

If the adventure is written, you usually can get an idea of what will fit and what won't.

A large group especially, needs a guiding vision as to are they:

A band of mercenaries in a war-ravaged world?

Freedom fighters overthrowing the repressive government?

A noble, and his / her retainers, clearing the land around the stronghold?

Good luck
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Etarnon is pretty much right on. Generally I run five to seven players at a time, even then you have to run the game. Players, especially new one, tend to run amuck in every aspect of the game, character creation, rules clarification, alignment choices, splitting the group up, table talk, being ready for their turn, everything. The one time I ran ten players they were mostly new role players at a convention. By the time we were finished I said that I would never do that again.

Really, you need to discuss these issues prior to actually running the game or they will run you into the ground and look at you like why can't you keep up, all you do is make a few choices? You don't even have a character to play! You will need to guide them and they will need to follow your lead or the game will be too much for the reason you have already stated. Either that, or you will be forced to drop the characters that do not fit the game. That will lead to grumbling and compliance or accusations of being a Nazi of some sort.

Good luck in enforcing the reset on this one.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We spent about half a session talking about characters and what you could and couldn't be and I've made them read the entry for their character race and class in the PHB. I should have made them read alignment. And I might do that before the next session.

They're doing fairly well with the role-playing side of things. I have 7 brand new role-players and 1 who has played White Wolf. Fortunately, we're all actors, which lends itself well to role-playing.

What I'd really like to know is how you guys have handled rewards such as experience and magical items.
    "Wit is educated insolence." - Aristotle

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just use the guidelines in the DMG for 3.5, if it's D&D 3.5...than I take a half of that.

So by 2nd level, they'd get about 500 GP worth of stuff, that took them about three adventures to get there.

For other games like star trek, there is no cash reward...you do the plot, for the greater good of the federation. Star wars, likewise.

For a game like Twilight:2000, a little ammo, and some gasoline to get to the next town.

In the end, as an actor, it might be easier for you to look at what the story requires as a dramatic need, or what the plot will require, down the road.

something to enhance the flavor of the specific character, as a prop, or foreshadows or leads into what will happen, as each episode happens.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think as long as you adjust the challenge rating to the size of the party the rewards should be just fine. Adjust the Exp awards down for the party and keep the gold piece value in-line with their level and it should be fine. I've never ran such a large group in D&D but I have run several groups of more than ten and participated in one as high as 17. The only thing we had to adjust for is such a large group has much more capability then a smaller party. The ability to truly specialize makes large parties much more capable. A party of 8 is well more then twice as capable as a party of 4. Adjust the challenge rating of encounters down one for every two players above four and you should be fine.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Experience: if you don't want to count, just bump everyone up at the same time, after a certain number of sessions. And reward the most productive members with a level one session earlier than the rest.

Magic items: Random musical chairs: roll for seven items (8 players, right?) each session, and let them handle the distributing. Mwa ha ha...