Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Warhammer 40,000 :D

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Warhammer 40,000 :D

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Me and my friend have been playin D&D for awhile, but we went to the closest gamestore b/c we wanted to start something new. At first it was between Star Wars and Call Of Chtulu, but then we went to the Tabletop section and saw Warhammer 40K and thought it would be great. We got a starter box and went home to check it out. We noticed it said the minis needed painting but we didn't think much about it. When we got back to his house, we opened the box and wondered what we got ourselves in to. We put together all the models and almost ragequit multiple times from pointy edges (). We got them together and wished we woulda bought paint, but the gamestore is awhile away, so we went to Michaels craft store to get paint and brushes. I never realised how expensive that stuff runs. We got the cheap-er ended paint and some assorted brushes and went home. We only got black, darker blue, and green. We got the base-coat on and now we realised that we are gonna need alot more colors and get better at this. *sigh* We played un-painted first and really liked it btw. Should we go get the paints from the gameshop next time we go?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, when I played, (trying to resist the urge to start up on the money pit again) I just used paints from Michaels too, and my army looked great. The only problem I ever had was with metal minis, and that is just because I hated priming the figures, and I hated painting on metal.

Gah now you have me wanting to play again, though I got rid of my army. I was thinking of starting up a Tau army (mainly Kroot) or Space Marines again, or Tyranid, or ....yea...see my problem? I really wanna get into War Machine too...ahh different time different place.

Anyway, 40K is a lot of fun. I wouldn't drop all the money for GW paints though. Inks are nice. Once you master the whole dry-brushing and inking things, you will be golden.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been trying to paint for 20 years and sadly, I've never been any good at it. I would stick to Space Marines, Tanks and Dreadnoughts. They are the easiest in my opinion. Both Warhammer & Warhammer Fantasy are expensive games to get into and if you get hooked... well there goes all of your money. If you buy all official GW stuff including paints and other gaming aids and if you plan fully fleshing out your army with all options.

You will be looking at several hundred dollars. Official GW sponsored tournaments have picky requirements such as All of your figures must be painted from "head to toe" plus the bases must be flocked. The game always constantly evolves through their White Dwarf magazine with new stats for combatants and rules clarifications.

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ugh I really want to play this again. And now I am seriously thinking about Orks after looking at the website. Quick someone slap me so I don't succumb again!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love it, but it is soooo expensive to get the stuff

Downloads
    Uploads
    The novels are not bad also.
    Elves keep their counsel and sharpen their ears.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not at all. I really liked the Space Wolves books, and the book Armageddon....I misspelled that, but anyway abuot Gnazgull and the Black Templars.

Yea...I started up again. Playing Orks

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm seriously considering selling my 3 40k armies because I'm no longer interested in the game. I have 3500 points of Sisters of Battle, 2500 points of Eldar, and a small Space Wolves force that has 22 terminators.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Horus Herasy Series is also interesting even though it set in the year 30k. It flesh out the units that turned to Chaos.
    Elves keep their counsel and sharpen their ears.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as paints are concerned, one brand over another doesn't really matter in my opinion, what you want to make sure of is what kind of paint you want to buy, acrylic or enamel. They both act differently, from the way they dry to more importantly, the way you thin them/clean them up.

I mostly use acrylic paints myself as they are easier to work with and clean up, as they're water based.

One big problem with enamels is that when you apply additional coats with a brush, previous coats can liquefy and blend in with the current coat. This has had the effect from blending the colors to having the background primer color/metal/plastic figure show through. I've had this happen to me in the past.

Oh and speaking of primer, I usually use some kind of spray can primer to coat my figures first. Now, concerned about whether you're getting the right kind of paints, GW paints are acrylics and so are Reaper paints. I'm looking to switch from GW to Reaper, but I haven't found a shop in my area that sells them, so I'm going to have to buy them online.

The reason for my switch to Reaper paints is that they have a screw top that looks like it seals the bottle much better than GW paints do.

As far as the GW paints are concerned, make sure when you first buy them to add water, one person who's tutorials I've watched suggests that you add about 20 drops to the bottle when you first get the paint. Then thin them again each time you use them.

That leads to this next point, check out the painting tutorials on You Tube, which has some really great people posting helpful tutorials there. The guy, his handle is RubbishInRubbishOut, who posted about adding water to the paint that I mentioned about is at the following url...

RubbishInRubbishOut's Painting Tutorial

Another very good tutorial creater is Alexandra, her handle is GirlPainting and her You Tube channel is...

GirlPainting's You Tube Channel

She created a community which a lot of great figure/terrain makers have joined is at the url below...

War Gamer You Tube Community

I highly recommend checking out these tutorials as they have given me some great tips for figure painting and terrain creation!
    Last edited by Skunkape; 09-24-2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been on miniwargaming.com lately, b/c they have alot of useful videos.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive been playing 40k for years. I got my first starter set when I was 8 *YAY* 14 years on and i'm still playing. I use all GW because I could afford it at the time. One of my armies (For those of you who know it was around 18,000 points of Orcs and Goblins from WFB) was stolen along with my car which sucks....

Anyways as for 40k awesome system, But if you don't want to spend all your cash on mini's and all the trimmings (Primer, paint, model cases, brushes, etc) you can use the paper hammer website for proxies, theres inquisitor which is a harder system to learn but really fun, or the new way I do it was I got myself a box of orks, nids, cadians and daemons and all out converted them and made some floor plans for when I play Dark Heresy and Deathwatch (Also needed space marines for the latter)

As it stands I got 3000 points of Space Marines, 9000 points of Dark Eldar (My main army since I was 8 lol), 2500 points of Chaos Marines and 2000 points of Imperial Guard haha so I know my stuff

It is expensive but I never put a price on the amount of fun I have

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To get to your question about paints and painting. Yeah, you can use hobby paints. They are not as good as the GW stuff, but they might be ok if you are not picky about your end results. Typically, most beginners are not picky, at first. But one day you may be across the table from someone who has done a real good job of painting his minis and you will be so envious and embarrassed. But your next army you can get better, this time you just want some paint on your minis. I really do understand. Even after thirty years I still don't really care if my minis are up to what some consider the minimum standards, my minis are table worthy. Still, if you do progress in desire as well as ability, ditch the craft paints for the good stuff. That craft paint is good enough for the terrain. Check out the minis on my profile. It can give you an idea of what can pass for good enough.