Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: showthread_campaign in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591
Calling All Heroes!
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Super Heroic
System Used: Classic Advanced Marvel Superheroes
Style: 75% Roleplaying / 25% Combat
Current Players: 5
Desired # of Players: 1
Game Location City: Toledo
State: Ohio
Game Times Frequency: Weekly
Days of Week: Saturday
Online Game Details Online Game?: Yes
Online Software Used: Map Tools, Skype, & Hamachi
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Online Game
(Map Tools, Skype, & Hamachi)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Heroes!

Downloads
    Uploads

Calling All Heroes!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    A new dawn is upon us and the clarion call is going out for heroes to join the ranks in the most esteemed comic universe on the planet. Back from the archives, itís......

Welcome and thank you for taking the time out to read this.

In August 2009, I formed a campaign using the classic 1986 version of Advanced Marvel Superheroes RolePlaying game. It was arguably one of the best games of its time and if not for a falling out of TSR with Marvel , may have seen many more years. To this day, it has thousands of fans and websites dedicated to keeping it alive.

The campaign has gone through some changes and we're currently looking for new blood though we're technically full. But I wouldn't mind having having one more extra for a max total of six.

Some details about the campaign is as follows:

Campaign Name: The Evolution Of A Hero

Setting: It takes place in the Marvel Manhattan.

Time: It's pre-Onslaught in the comics as far as continuity. The Twin Towers are still there. However, it's as if the time were today.

Basic Premise: People with extraordinary abilities and powers struggle to keep the city they've called home (and occasionally the world) safe. Through all of this, they endeavor to find their identity and what it truly means to be a hero. It's a realistic, sometimes gritty action-adventure.

Power Level: This is on par with the Thunderbolts, New Mutants, or Defenders.

Episode 2: Adventurous Infancy

In the best of times, the streets and structures of New York City are full of a people - some good, some bad.

These are not the best of times.

Gang activity is on the increase, the streets are filled with more violence than usual, spilling over into the various boroughs. If it were simply this, it could be curbed by the current bank of heroes that reside in the city. However, something dark is going on. Recent sightings of the Werewolf have been reported and what people are calling "a Frankenstein attack" has just hit the Lower East Side. They strike suddenly and randomly, destroying and killing everything in their wake. And a new gang has risen in the ranks called the Faces of Fear led by an enigmatic, mysterious, unidentified leader simply known as The Boss.

Meanwhile, the worldwide art community is aghast. The Metropolitan Museum of Art has been broken into. An ancient tome titled A Madman's Mutterings has been stolen. Who would do such a thing and to what end remains a mystery.

Now the heroes are thrown into the fight in the middle of Chinatown as the gang war escalates. But where is the book and how is Chinatown tied to its discovery?

Get up to date on what's happened so far by going to our Campaign Log (click here).

This campaign has some prerequisites:

1. It would be preferable if you have some experience, preferably in the genre itself. I like players who have been around the role playing community for at least three years.

However, if you're truly into the role playing aspect and have been around for a shorter period of time, don't sweat it. I'd rather have you on board then a ten year gamer who never role plays.

Don't worry about the system so much as I will provide you with a full copy of the game if you're chosen.
    The mechanics are secondary. You'll eventually get into the swing of things over time once you have the game and you'll have me, the Marvel Master, to guide your way.

I plan on running this campaign for a few years so if you're not into longevity, this is not the campaign for you.

2. YOU MUST ROLE PLAY. There is an emphasis on role playing. I'm not trying to patronize anyone but there are far too many players who think they're role players because they play an RPG which is not the case.

What I mean by this is acting out your character's personality, emotions, expressions, etc. I've set up a reward system just for role playing. The more you role play, the more of a reward. Even if you're not a fantastic role player, you still get a reward for trying. It's time to become an actor and shine! Bring out the Oscars!!

3. Must have access to the internet. We are using an online VTT called Map Tools. VTT (virtual table top) gaming is a fantastic way of merging players in another location across the internet with live players. It allows for interactive miniature movement and communication from wherever you're at. The only thing that you have to be concerned with is having a mic to communicate (we use Skype), the VTT software MapTools(which is free), and a Hamachi networking account (tell you more about all of this once you sign on).

4. Must be free Saturday between 12:15 p.m. and 5:00 p.m., give or take an hour.

5. YOU MUST ROLE PLAY. Role playing takes imagination. This is not the same as roll-playing with some dice, stats, and moving some figurines around. This campaign is not for you if thatís the only thing youíre looking for. We do that but that's not the meat of what we do. The story is the meat.

6. No profanity or vulgarity. Leave your potty mouth at the door. We run a clean establishment here. Rated PG movie.

7. If you want to bring snacks, feel free (if you're in the area). There are rewards for such things if you are one of my live players.

8. And the biggie...YOU MUST ROLE PLAY (I'm hearing an echo in here). We're not looking for people who just want to get in fights, smash things up, and get experience. Each GM/Judge is different. As a GM/Judge, a big part of my fun is watching my players role play. Without this, I'm bored quickly and really don't want to waste my time.

Interested parties should PM me, P.R.E.Z., contact me on Skype (ID is P.R.E.Z.), or email me: click here to email P.R.E.Z..

Excelsior!!! 'Nuff said.
    Last edited by Marvel Master; 09-04-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Campaign Details Edited

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wanted to make everyone aware once again so I'm bumping the thread to get some play out of it.

I also wanted to mention that characters are available to be made via online. I'd rather do it in person but if you're living 20 miles out of Toledo, much better to do it online.

Downloads
    Uploads

New Day!

We've switched the campaign day and time. Check it out!

Downloads
    Uploads

Campaign Details

As we are still looking for that last and final player, I'll give a little background about the campaign to give you a clearer picture of what you would be getting into if you decide to join.

The campaign is pre-Onslaught taking place in the city of Manhattan. However, the time is as if it was today. The major thing that hasn't happened is the Twin Towers are still around.

In a nutshell, inner vigilantes struggle to be heroes as they save the city and occasionally the world. It's a realistic, sometimes gritty action-adventure. The power level is on par with X-Men or Defenders.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM or write me at prezman@hotmail.com.

"Nuff said.
    Last edited by Marvel Master; 11-16-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Additional Details Need To Be Added

Downloads
    Uploads

Online Play Begins

Well, I said it was going to happen and so it has.

I'm now taking inquiries for those who may be interested in being a part of the campaign online. This is an extension of the campaign we have going on currently in person every Sunday. If you're not a part of the campaign in person, don't worry. Though you may miss out on sections of what happens on Sunday nights, there's a way your character can be a part of it.

At the moment, this is simply a probe for interested parties. Those participating in our weekly face to face meetup will have precedence.

There will be a total of six PCs. If this goes how I believe it will, we already have four people interested so only two slots will be available.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM or write me at prezman@hotmail.com.

God bless.

Downloads
    Uploads

Online Play Is LIVE!

As promised, online play for this Marvel Campaign has gone live online. We're just getting out feet wet here but it's a go.

If you want to get a glimpse of what's happening so far, go here:

Evolution Of A Hero

We still have a couple slots open so send a PM to Marvel Master if you're interested in joining in.

Downloads
    Uploads

A New Dimension

Well the campaign has been going since August 2009 and we've just made a major change. We're now combining in person and online play with VTT gaming.

VTT (virtual table top) gaming is a fantastic way of merging players in another location across the internet with live players. It allows for interactive miniature movement and communication from wherever you're at. The number one thing this does is open up doors for other role players across the world to join the campaign.

We've already readied ourselves for the first session and have tested the software we're using. Now it's a matter of grabbing new players.

We'll be looking to add three more players to the mix. It doesn't matter where you are located. The only thing that you have to be concerned with is having a mic to communicate (we use Skype), the VTT software (the one we use is free), and and a Hamachi networking account (tell you more about all of this if you're selected). The main lead post of this thread has been edited to reflect this new change and also has contact information so make sure you read it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    (The forum ate my post. Ill send it to you some other way) sending you a email
    Last edited by kytanos; 03-14-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    It has a tendency to do that.

Edited the main post and added some info for those who might be interested. Only looking for two more players since two have joined.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still looking for two more PCs. Also, I've changed the character creation to a point based system based on the Ultimate Powers Book. This gives players more freedom in terms of creating the hero they want. There are a few restrictions I put into place but for the most part you have free reign here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Player here. Just wanted to add my voice to the mix, and say this is a great game to join for anyone interested in RP and comic book superhero interaction, dialog, and action. If you have an open mind about the system, and want to play *concept first* (i.e. decide what you want before piddling with the books), it isn't at all hard to make a character.

Currently, we are meeting pretty consistently, so if your time fits and you're looking for consistency, too, this is a campaign to squeeze into.

I'm new to the system myself, but if I can be of any help, I'd be happy to assist. Let me know!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh man you had me til you said you are now using a point based system. I don't have much experience with hero games but have been playing D&D for over 4 years straight now. I am a very dependable player. I am hardly ever late and it is even more rare that I ever miss a game. If you are still looking for players and decide to ditch the point based system let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Technically, you don't have to use the point-based variety, if i recall...you can roll everything randomly in the book if it suits your fancy.

That being said, the point-buy isn't much like the rather banal and stiff D&D way of doing it. Characters utilizing this point-buy have plenty of options in front of them - if you need more stat points, for instance, you can get them beyond the initial allotment, essentially by giving up a bit of your powers or talents where leftover points from there 'carry over' into a free pool that can be spent on whatever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the point based system is for character generation only. The game is still like the classic advanced though we've tweaked a couple of things. But it's the same system we know and love.

If you feel comfortable rolling randomly, you can do that. More power to you. But I think the point based system gives you much better control as a player to create the character that you want. This is a system I designed so if you're willing to try it out, let me know and I can send you the way it's done in a PDF.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am interested in playing this. I have never done this system before. But I have been role playing for around six years now and it is one of my life-long hobbies. If you have any space left and are willing to play with a beginner to this system. I'll send a PM with this message as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast