Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 124

Thread: The Longest Night: Act I

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hyde Park
    Posts
    37
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    The Longest Night: Act I

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    You are travelling from the village of Fellig through the Widower's Wood towards Corvis. The journey takes more than two weeks, and passes through rocky mountain passes, dense forest, and swampy lowlands. You are not familiar with the surrounding area, but you do know that the locals of Fellig were very wary of the Widower's Wood and many legends surround it that involve caravans much like the one you are traveling in disappearing.

    After chasing the rising sun for many days, the ordeal is near an end -- Corvis is only half a day's ride away through Widower's Wood. The trip has been without incident so far.


    "Easy traveling, eh?" shouts Gunner Wadock, the caravan's leader, from his position on the front wagon. "If only all my trips 'twixt Fellig and Corvis were so painless."

    The caravan consists of five wagons, with four pack horses bringing up the rear. Gunner sits atop the lead wagon with his driver, a sour, quiet human called Viggo. The other four wagons each have one driver. The pack horses are tied to the last wagon.

    Quote Originally Posted by OOC
    This is the point where we do introductions and establish how everyone's traveling within the caravan. Are you riding on one of the wagons and which one? Are you walking alongside while watching the dense fog in the forest? Also, take this moment to introduce your character and what they look like, etc.

    This may come as kind of a shock for you, but despite Gunner's optimism, it's not going to be a complete cakewalk all the way to Corvis. This is your chance to establish your character for the rest of the party before we go into how our first combat is going to run.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    28
    Posts
    23
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Dez rode in the rear of the last caravan, his long goblin ear twitched every time the wagon bounced over a pot hole. What first began as a simple game, counting the trees, had now become a meditation beyond the level of any monk. Dez was bored. Most of the trip was spent throwing pebbles at the back of Viggos' head, who looked like, to Dez, a rodent. He didnt assume he was a rodent, that would be rude. He mearly thought a giant rat snorted and he popped out.
    While the goblin gazed wearily out into the passing forrest, he subconsciously traced his fingers along every curve of his little stone Dhunia figure.
    "mother watch over me...*sigh*...and over you know who" he whispered.
    Wrapped in a dark blanket, Dez sat motionless, silent and unseen amoungst the items being carried.
    3024 trees. 3025 trees. 3026 trees....
    Last edited by Foghorn; 09-08-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Just fixed a wee typo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Allen
    Age
    29
    Posts
    23
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    One of the hired guards stands out a bit from the rest, a broad shouldered human of average height with close shaved black hair contrasting his crystal blue eyes. He wears a somewhat mottled, padded coat and garb of gray and beige marked with hinged protective steel plates, spotted with short spikes and hooks, all reaching down just over his heavy black boots or sturdy plated gloves. Across his back he wears a thick curved blade with a smooth, broad hilt sheathed and strapped in black with silver buckles as he walks alongside the right of the caravan.

    He's quiet, but the stern, determined glare of a soldier that he gives off into the fog is starkly offset by the kind expressioned, half-smiling nod he'll likely give if you watch him long enough. Despite the quiet pace the trip has taken he remains focused and alert while other guards wane in their duties. As he changes positions or reports to Gunner, you're able to catch his name a number of times:
    "Kirill" [kihREEL].

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Age
    23
    Posts
    302
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    An unusual Elf sulks on the wooden bench of one of the last wagons in the caravan. His head is hung low and all that is visible is his spiky brown hair. His head lolls to one side then the other as the wagon shifts beneath him. He looks up every now and again and checks on the large mass being pulled by the wagon. This is the only time his face is visible. He is young, very young, and like most elves, attractive. Despite this, he doesn’t exactly seem like the type of person you would want to befriend. Like all Elves he has a sadness about him, but his is almost tangible, as if it might cling to anyone around him.

    His eyes are shockingly green and alert, though he gazes at everyone as if he doesn’t care. He wears fine Elven travelling clothing, and a long blue cloak that pools around his body. A backpack is sitting beside him, and against that leans a large weapon. It has a smooth black shaft, about 3ft long, made of black wood and inlayed with golden swirls. The blade is nearly the same length, and glitters in the low light. Patterns carved into the blade sparkle. The weapon seems to mock the Elf, reminding him of everything that he is not.

    Behind him the wagon is open. A large lump lays concealed under a tarp. It doesn’t move, but every few moments the Elf glances back at it, checking on it, before lowering his head once again with a sigh.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hermitage
    Age
    24
    Posts
    60
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Emrys is in one of the last wagons of the caravan headed into Corvis... the wagon is progressing slowly, but surely down tree-lined and rocky paths... she didn't even seem to take much notice of the occasional pot-holes and bumps that happened on the route.

    Her silvery grey eyes danced about at the landscapes, thrilled to be off and adventuring to a bigger city. More people makes for a greater challenge... and I love challenges, she thought to herself.

    The soft breeze through her long black hair was all the more exhilerating. Finally, her eyes fell upon a spiky haired fellow... "No... it can't be..." she whispered, then her voice grew a little louder as she lightly tapped the shoulder of the man before her. "Have we... met..?"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Age
    23
    Posts
    302
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    The wind howled through the trees on either side, making everything sound alive and terrifying. The young Elf ignored it though. If things were going to happen, it was best to let the bones fall as they may. He had ceased hearing the howling long ago anyway, too absorbed in his own thoughts. A voice rose over the din, a familiar sound, and his ears perked up. There was a brush against his shoulder, and Kayle turned his head to the side.

    His eyes met equally shocking grey ones, and recognition flew across his features. Elves lived for a long time, but they rarely forgot. He was staring at the one person he had ever felt who understood him, a friend he had thought he had lost years ago. He had met her as a young thief, when she had tried to filch something from under his nose. Kayle guessed she had never robbed an Elf before, let alone seen one. He had caught her, but instead of turning her in, turned her loose. Curiosity peaked, she had stayed with him until they had reached the city, and had become very close, until fate had separated them.

    A smile lit the Elf’s face for the first time the whole ride. “Well I’ll be damned. Emry? It’s been…years? Woow…you haven’t aged a day!” It wasn’t true, but she had grown up. She was an adult now, and looked every bit more capable . If she was still thieving….Kayle didn’t want to think about the tricks she had learned. She had been good then. “How’ve you been? Still a lowly brigand? “ He asked, joking as they used to.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hermitage
    Age
    24
    Posts
    60
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Emrys's eyes had met with Kayle's admirably astonishing green eyes... he smiled wide, as did she... in an instantaneous sensation of glee, she reached out to hug him close before it could register that he'd been talking.

    Upon releasing the hug, she thought back on his questions and comments to make her replies.

    "Yes... years... it was a beautiful, moonlit night hundreds of eves ago that fate brought us together and a dreary winter's night that fate tore us apart... but alas, Fate has been kind once more, it seems." She smiled a genuine smile and sat down just beside him.


    "Ha... but you know good and well that I've aged since we last were in arm's reach. As for my current occupation, I'll have you know that I've grown into bigger, better things... now more lowly theiving for me. And once I get ito the big city... everything is going to be just that much sweeter. Perhaps we can stay together... you know, us against the world like the good old days, huh? I think it'd be a sensation."
    Last edited by KayeoticNeutral; 09-09-2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: slight re-wording of the last sentence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hyde Park
    Posts
    37
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Ambush!

    The black, twisted trees join overhead, blotting out the sun. In the darkness, the only sounds are the rattles of the wagons and the buzzing of insects. The horses are straining to pull the wagons through the muck, which is over a foot deep in spots. The thin mist that always permeates this swampy forest is thickening to a dense fog with every step. After a minute you can barely make out the other wagons and horses. Only a few more hours of this and you'll arrive at Corvis

    Suddenly the lead horse screams in anguish and the caravan comes to a stop. You can hear Gunner and the other men cursing, and projectiles whistle past you. Thick fog swirls about, concealing your attackers.

    Small, darting shapes come at you through the fog. Between the canopy and the fog, you have trouble tracking the shapes until they are right on top of you. They are quick and reckless in their movements and now you're starting to buy the stories you heard before heading out about the swamp gobbers that like to ambush caravans.

    A trio of the pint-sized menaces come after Kirill. He moves quickly, even when taken by surprise and manages to turn one of the blades aside. Another blade is turned aside by his armor. The last puts a small cut into his leg that seems to do little more than anger him.

    Two more drop out of the trees next to Dez and attack. Even though Dez is caught by surprise, his armor keeps him safe from the worst of the attack.

    Two hop up on the wagon with the human and the elf and the gobbers seem to take a natural disliking towards the elf. The gobbers' daggers flash dully in the dim light but they manage to draw blood from the elf.

    You can hear noises further up that sound like there are more swamp gobbers fighting farther up on the caravan, but the fog prevents you from making out what is going on

    Quote Originally Posted by Suprise round results:
    Kirill takes 1 vitality and 1 subdual damage
    Dez takes 1 subdual
    Kayle takes 3 vitality damage
    Quote Originally Posted by ooc
    If everyone could make some initiative rolls, you can start having some retaliation against the gobbers. I'll be keeping combat mostly abstract for right now as I haven't found a program that I like well enough to set up a combat grid.

    So for now, Kayle and Emrys can attack gobbers 1 and 2 without having to move. Dez can attack gobbers 3 and 4 without moving, and Kirill can go after gobbers 5, 6, and 7 without moving.

    Anyone who wants to move to get to someone else's gobbers will have to take 2 Standard Move actions to get through the mud and fog to assist someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice rolling etiquette
    I haven't quite figured out exactly how to make this work yet, so for now you can either use your favorite online roller, your own dice on the honor system, or the forum roller if you're just plain smarter than me. Once I get it figured out, I'll put up some instructions for those who might not know.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Age
    23
    Posts
    302
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    "That would be nice. Just like the old days. Oh that reminds me! Remember-" Kayle was cut off by the flitter of movement and the screams of a horse in the lead. Suddenly two shapes were on him and Emrys, small daggers flashing. Instincts kicked in, and Kayle managed to lean back just far enough that the daggers only drew a thin line of blood.

    Cursing the woods under his breath, the young Elf jumped up, his cloak fluttering. If it hadn't been for all of this damned noise and wind and fog, he'd have seen them coming a mile away. Damn him and being preoccupied with a woman!

    Initiative: Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +4" :

    16 + 4 = 20 from hamete virtual dice server.
    OOC: Two things. One, to use the dice roller go to advanced options and click the red dice at the top. Type in everything, die type, then space, then plus or minus, space, then modifier(s) like so. 1D20 + 4
    EDIT: I take it back, there seems to be a problem. I just rolled a zero on a D20? So I take it back...I am stupid too. You can take the zero since I technically rolled tha first, or I used an online roller and got a 20 modified.

    Two. I take it the natural conditions and crappy weather and being distracted made it so the Elfy hearing and everything didn't work? It makes sense, i'm just making sure my elf isn't deaf
    Last edited by Marley117; 09-10-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Problems; Changed it to past tense

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-10-2009 06:34 AM
    Initiative: 1d20 (0) + 4 (4) = 4

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hermitage
    Age
    24
    Posts
    60
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Emrys was hovering over the long-lost friend, listening intently to his response and pondering the question he was about to ask... "Remember--" was the last word that his lips had parted to speak. She hadn't had much time to wonder though, what it may have been that she should remember, though she was certain she'd remember almost everything about their times together... before the caravan... and before fate had ripped them apart.

    For once during this whole venture, Emrys had paid attention to something other than the sounds of twigs cracking beneath the wheels of the caravan, the scent produced by masses of of damp trees and grass or muck and grime... something other than the scenery around her... and for once in her life... She was the one caught off guard.

    The caravan haulted with the sound of the horror-stricken cries of horses up in front and two fiendish creatures of the wood leapt out from the fog that masked the area around them.

    Caught off guard?! Me? And by a guy of all things! Despite these automatic thoughts and how upset she was that she could let herself get caught up in someone and to not have the upper hand in combat... something else woke more of a rage within her... Kayle's blood, drawn from the pests that sprung up and into the wagon.

    They've chosen the wrong night... the wrong caravan, and certainly the wrong wagon... because this time... I'M on here.
     
    Initiative: [1D20+4] Going on an astounding 11 [what a killer =P]
    Last edited by KayeoticNeutral; 09-10-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Just spacing it to make it look better =P

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    28
    Posts
    23
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Dez felt his face stretch into an obsene grin, he was void of any hubris arrogance and held no dellusions of heroism. Humans never understood. In the animal kingdom showing your teeth is a basic sign of a predator.
    The blanket fell from his shoulders as he stood to face his test, garbed in a heavy high collared jacket, his two flintlock pistols holstered across each other behind an adorned buckle and his steady gaze level with the front of a decripet black tricorne hat.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    [roll d20+4] Init = 20
    Last edited by Neonblueboy; 09-10-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Allen
    Age
    29
    Posts
    23
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    The eerie calm is shattered by the horse's squeal and only just as the coming adrenaline has managed the first drop of sweat, Kirill hears the diving whoosh of an unseen attacker barely in time to palm away the blade and, the moment it passes, a pair more blades strike out from the fog, both landing against his armor with a quick sting. That look of focus washes across his face again and all but gone is the cheerfully smiling man. He wasn't watching, he was waiting and this, this is what he was waiting for.

    Initiative = 1d20+4 (2+4=6)
    Quote Originally Posted by OOC
    Well that's enough struggling with the die roller for one day. (Note: The 2 above is not the same 2 in the die history)
    Last edited by Adimeadozen; 09-10-2009 at 10:20 AM.

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-10-2009 10:10 AM
    Initiative: 1d20 (2) + 4 (4) = 6

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Age
    23
    Posts
    302
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Lightning quick, Kayle was ready, seeming to make up for his lapse in concentration just a moment before. His weapon glinted not a foot away from him, but after years of fighting, the young Elf knew better than to grab for it. He would make an easy target for the little robber.

    Fog swirled around Kayle, and he rose and kicked in one graceful movement. His cloak flew wide as he brought his hand around, reaching for his weapon. It all happened so fast, yet he as conciously aware of Emrys moving to fight as well. At least she wasn't hurt, it didn't look like it.

    But she could have been.

    Anger flashed through Kayle so fast it was amazing. He felt his foot connect with the goblin's chest, and heard it gasp as something snapped. Amazingly the thing stayed on its feet, but the Elf didn't even see. All he saw was a target, someone who could have hurt Emrys, and all he felt was the cool wood of the hilt of his blade, and the rage and desire to use it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hermitage
    Age
    24
    Posts
    60
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    He won't be standing much longer... Emrys thought to herself as she witnessed the harsh blow that Kayle bestowed upon the pesky little creature. Not after this...

    She had already rose and decided to deliver another blow, before drawing her Scholar's Sword.

    "Umph" she spun and kicked the already weakened little twerp, in hopes he'd finally fall. [4pts of dmg]

    Just after her kick, she slid her hand onto the hilt of her Scholar's sword and drew it out, although defensively, for there was still one unharmed devil out of this duo.

    She smirked a little. "Let us have the last laugh in this encounter, eh Kayle?"
    Last edited by KayeoticNeutral; 09-10-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spacing... again

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hyde Park
    Posts
    37
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Ambush!: Round 1 summary

    Quote Originally Posted by Initiative order & Action summary
    Dez & Kayle = 20
    Emrys = 11
    Gobbers = 7
    Kirill = 6

    Dez
    Half Action: Standard move & Handle Item (Equip pistol)
    Half Action: Standard attack - Pistol: 1d20+3 → [17,3]=(20); Damage: 3d4 → [3,2,1]=(6)

    Kayle
    Half Action: Standard attack - Unarmed: Resolved in chat
    Half Action: Handle Item (Equip polesword)

    Emrys
    Half Action: Standard attack - Unarmed: Resolved in chat
    Half Action: Handle Item (Equip sword)

    Gobbers
    2 out of 3 hit Kirill for 2 subdual damage (1 each)
    1 out of 1 hit Dez for 1 subdual damage
    1 out of 2 hit Kayle for 3 lethal damage

    Kirill
    Half Action: Standard attack - Falchion: 1d20+4 → [18,4]=(22); Damage 1d12+4 → [12,4]=(16)
    Half Action: Standard attack - Falchion: 1d20+4 → [10,4]=(14); Damage 1d12+4 → [12,4]=(16)
    The fog, which seems to be growing even thicker, swirls around the caravan as it explodes into a chaos of movement. Dez, lept away from his attackers, clearing one of the pistols from his belt as he did so. The firearm spewed smoke and the crack of the shot rang through the mist. One of the ambushers caught the shot square in the chest and disappeared over the side of the wagon. The remaining gobber manages to throw a dart at Dez as he leaps away, but his armor keeps the projectile from doing any serious harm.

    Despite getting thoroughly smacked around by Kayle and Emrys, the swamp gobber remained on his feet. Especially pissed off at the two, he throws his dagger aside and bites down on Kayle's arm, his teeth breaking skin and causing blood to flow down the elf's arm.

    The trio of attackers swarming Kirill continue to batter at him, but the caravan guard continues to turn the blades aside and use his armor to absorb the gobbers' daggers. The small assailants pause for a moment to assess the situation and how to attack the burly caravan guard. That moment is all Kirill needs. In a blur of movement, his sword is in his hand and sweeping through his attackers. Out of the trio, 2 of them have fallen into the mud with fatal cuts across their chests.

    While the fog breaks your view from the rest of the caravan, you can hear more fighting further ahead. Gunner seems to be yelling something about the horses, but you cannot make out exactly what it is over the noise of the fight around you.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's your longest running campaign?
    By Arch Lich Thoth-Amon in forum Sci-Fi / Futuristic
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
  2. Longest Gaming Session?
    By PlattevilleGamer in forum General RPG / Industry Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 12:29 AM
  3. [D&D] Roll vs. Role: The Longest Night
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 11:00 PM
  4. [D&D] Night Below Preview 9
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 12:20 PM
  5. [D&D] Night Below Preview 1
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •