Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Would you like to write for Pen & Paper Games?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Would you like to write for Pen & Paper Games?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Pen & Paper Games is now accepting submissions for roleplaying game reviews and gaming advice columns to be featured in the site's articles section. If you are a talented writer with a passion for RPGs and a desire to share your insights and opinions with a community of thousands of roleplayers, we want to hear from you.

What We Are Looking For
    For reviews, we are looking to publish articles primarily about new roleplaying games, supplements and other related products that have hit the market within the last several months and preferably within a month or so of the release date. That doesn't mean that we won't consider reviews about older games. In fact, if you think you have found a hidden gem amongst the masses, we'd love to share that with our community, but these should be for exceptional quality and typically more obscure games that our members may never have even heard about, let alone considered playing.

Quality & Format

Reviews will typically range be between 1,000 and 2,500 words. The article should be clear, concise, and easy to read without a lot of flowery prose or fluff. It should be plainly obvious that you have spent a lot of time reading through the rulebook and, if possible, actually playing the game. Don't just tell us you liked it or didn't like it. Tell us specifically what it was about the game that you liked and/or didn't like. The goal is to give the reader enough information about the game to help them decide if this is a product they would enjoy.

As to the layout and format of the article, we don't currently have a standard format for reviews. However, I suggest that you take a look at [this article] as a general guideline. As a rule, the article should be grammatically correct with good paragraph and sentence structure and flow, thoroughly spell checked, and require a minimal amount of editing to be published. If your article is filled with typos and language errors, it will not be considered.

Payment
    Pen & Paper Games does not currently offer any financial compensation for reviews or other articles published on our site. However, if you have had a review or article published in our articles section within the last six months, you will be considered an active reviewer/columnist. This will grant you a custom title on the forums and all of the premium membership benefits of a Community Supporter account.

Submission Guidelines
    Before you write up your article, please send a query email to gm@penandpapergames.com with an article proposal telling us: 1) what game you would like to review or topic you'd like to cover, 2) a brief two to three paragraph synopsis of your article, and 3) a timeline of when you expect to be able to complete your submission. We'll typically respond to these emails within a week to let you know if we're interested and go from there.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not that I am dandy at writing reviews, but I am requesting reviews of board/card games not just RPG games.

Like "are you a traitor". I am very curious about the game, but want to see what people on this site say about it and if it is pretty fun or not.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am certainly open to having reviews here on things like board games. We just need an interested reviewer who wants to write them. That wouldn't be me, I fear. I've never much cared for board games -- it might have something to do with how terrible I am at them.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys spell bored games differently than I do. Although I came to RPG's via bored games I never really liked the "family bored games" some of them have come a bit closer to what I like but still, after a few run throughs I tend to get bored even with the better ones. And yes, I do suck at bored games, could be because of my lack of concentration on a game that bores me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What about for those of us who have already written reviews? For instance, I have one on this site for Colonial Gothic, and one for Fantasy Craft. Is there a process to get prior posted reviews bumped up to a feature?
    Last edited by korhal23; 09-02-2009 at 04:18 PM.
    Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
    Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
    Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
    Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you already have a review you have posted here, you can feel free to submit it for approval and editing to be moved into the Articles section. Send me an email and we can talk more.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do the articles have any limits on content and themes? I assume so, but it may be good to point out that readership is pretty broad and content should be appropriate to all ages...

It would be nice if there were a poll to, in addition to allowing unfiltered article submission, let the community vote on the top 10 subjects they may want to see. Don't know, just an idea.... not sure exactly how it might work, but the idea is to have the community maybe drive the content some.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm very much looking forward to being a part of Pen and Paper on an ongoing basis!

~jess
    Writer, Editor, All Around Wordsmith
    "One Geek to Another" - Advice, Etiquette and Ethics for the Geek World
    www.jesshartley.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to review video games for Gamespy back in early 2000-2003 or so. I havent had the chance to do the same for RPGs but after six years I might be interested in giving it a try. Here's a few of my articles, if they are of a quality you'd like and you don't mind a bit of rust, I could help.

http://archive.gamespy.com/reviews/february02/aceshigh/

http://archive.gamespy.com/reviews/march01/Kohan/

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/pirates...an/5992p1.html

Let me know! I won't take offense if it's not P&P style.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Juan,

Send me an email to gm@penandpapergames.com and let's talk. Let me know what games you might be interested in reviewing and we can go from there.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games