Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To seek a Thane

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Watching the others enter this antichamber, Ferous thinks of the long days that will follow. Outwardly, he has a slight smile on his face, but he has drifted to his inner mind, thinking of the trials to come and those who would survive such an ordeal.

While he is not a very educated dwarf, he does know that travel outside of the Stead is very dangerous, and has heard stories of the brutality of the other races. He looks to the beautiful ladies who he will accompany and the priest, and feelings of doubt begin to rush over him. He has a strong feeling that Dolastyr can protect her self, but he knows nothing of the other two.

Perhaps more fighters will be recruited, it would be best.

Ferous begins to think of home, it would be good to see the family before setting out on such a journey. It has been 3 years...

It would be good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thoriken

"Aye Sire ye may ask," Thoriken pauses for a minute keeping eye contact with the Revered One, "but I can not answer for that order, as I have been called to the Order of Moradins Avengers. As for our traditions, my high Priest Torel Deldar last o Da Clan Swifthammer trains us to protect and avenge the fallen of Hold Uerythtar within the Underdark." Thoriken then smiles ruefully, "If it had not been for me misfortune of finding one of the giant kind sufferin in a chasm I would still be in the lower outer reaches of the Hold huntin fer drow raiders."
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Osk nods at the response, hoping for something a bit more substantial. He had precious few dealings with Torel Deldar and knew even less. The fact that they were dissociative implied a possible distinction, but could simply be another ruse by the aged Balabault. He would certainly like to have a member of Moradin's faithful accompanying this party to diffuse any retalliation from the xenophobic Balabault, but he dared not give him warning.

"So you know of the upper realms? We were just discussing a dangerous trek through the peaks and could certainly use someone knowledgable of the area. It is very important to the stead at large," skating the line of truth carefully. "This group will face many challenges that will test their mettle and their skills. Would either of you be up to such a task?" trying to draw upon their natural instinct of a challenge.

"Perhaps he is simply more suited to dealing with threats from below," adds Orin. "I can see the fire in his eyes even though I myself have never heard of your order," as he had never truly known another order that served the all father even existed within the stead. Occasionally Osk could be quite secretive with what information he had access to and it was always something he secretly envied.

Asbjørn, whom had been quiet intil, loomed forward. "I could be leadin 'em to wherever it is they needed goin," in a rough voice. "I ain't got nuthin I ain't earn'd wit blud, sweat an tears. Me name ain't fer naught and ya won't be makin no mates wit me in most quarters, but if ya be needin me I'll go," in a steadfast voice filled with determination. "Yer choice is yer own me shieldmate, but I cin hear da voice's callin me 'ere and I bin drownin em fer far too long," to Thoriken in explanation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thoriken

"Nay Sire, the only time I been to the upper realms was the last couple of days. Moradin sent me to ya for a reason so I am willin ta help as I can, I hava few scoutin skeels. Is they any drow there, I eve kilt a few of dose." Turning to Orin, "Me order is a small one, only those chosen by Mighty Moradin are allowed, but ye may hav herd o da 'Ghost Warriors' we aar one and the same. Yea, we are trained to battle in the underdark, but I kin handle the world above and seein as me shieldmate is willin, I am willin."

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the mention of Moradin's name, Ertryd feels some nervousness. She momentarily wonders if Balabault has caught on to the plan. He is not a stupid dwarf, and she made her opinion on trade very clear. She also didn't hide her meeting with Beldas after the council all that well. The gruff, confrontational air about the newcomer does nothing to ease her fears.

She puts on a carefully practiced, calm facade to avoid alerting Thoriken to her feelings of anxiety. She does begin to wonder if Balabault actually has anything to do with him, though, as he explains that he is part of a small order. It may be that he simply ended up here by a turn of fate. She decides to simply let the Thanes keep talking to him until it is necessary for her to speak.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "You are humble and an honor to the All-Father, Thoriken. After your success your name will echo through the halls of your deeds. You are all stepping into legend," as he takes in the entire group. "You are forging a new chapter in Uerythtar and for our home. I shall let you speak amongst yourselves as I confer with my revered brother of Vergadain," as he moves nearer to Orin.

"I'm not certain of any Drow on the surface, but I have heard many other tales good Thoriken. I'm almost certain you'll find something worthy of your skills," as Orin too walks to Osk. Almost as if remembering something he turns, "There's always giants and trolls," with a wink and grin.

Asbjørn seems to look about uncomfortably at his fellows and just keep quiet lest he seem a fool and anyone ask of his namesake.

Dolastyr smiles to Ferrous and Ertryd, before nodding to the two newer members of their band. "I am
    Dolastyr Vyrn Garnet, Keeper of the shield and it will be a pleasure to have you as companions," trying to avoid anything that might offend these two before she actually knows them.

"Aye, ya knows me name but yer welcome ta calls me Bjorn. It ain't real proper an' all, but heh," as Asbjørn lightens up at her freindliness.

"Yeah,
    I'm Barur Erizak Gilded Merchant and Alloyn of Vergadain. Wow I can't wait to get going, can you imagine it all, Wow," in a youthful tone filled with awe. In the span of a few minutes his entire life has finally started rolling and he can not wait for where it will take him. "I can't wait to see the look on Yurdin's face," as he imagines his brother's reaction.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am Ertryd Uerthshield, Grandaul of Thralsia, Blood of Kanik." She relaxes by inches as her brain starts to kick in and realize that Thoriken likely has nothing to do with Balabault. He seems the honest type, and he has been straightforward to this point.

"I would be glad to have you as travelling companions. We could use strong warriors like you, as the road will likely be dangerous." She breaks a smile at Thoriken and Asbjørn.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ferous is visibly relieved upon their agreement.

He steps forward clasping the new companions by the forearm, pausing at each to look them in the eyes.

"Well met, I am Ferous Goldvein, Son of Sact, Blood of Sactum, I am happy to be your shield mate."

He steps back, looking to each then to his other new companions, happily taking in the crew that he will be spending much time with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thoriken

Thoriken looks around at room, sizing up the others, he had heard of the Lady Chantress, of course most of the hold had heard of her. The other, no clue tho he clasped arms with him.

"Aye tis good to meet ye's," grining mischeivesouly "thar be any tankards round dat need mpt'd? Me and me sheildmate hav got a thirst bilt up, eh, Asbjørn? I didin know skinnin mules was so much work meself, nasty tempr'd beasts"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Asbjørn nods to Thoriken at the mention of something to quench his thirst. If he was going to be headed anywhere shortly it would soon be in short supply. "Aye, mite be me last bit fer a good while. I'll be assumin we's headed out somtime shortly den?" as if he assumed the rest knew.

"When are we going?" asks Barur looking back to Orin. They had finished with whatever business they had and were awaiting the finish of introductions before continuing.

"I think that as shortly as possible, perhaps tomorrow. We would not do well to wait any further. Winter comes quickly to the peaks and travel may only be attempted in summer. The season is right, but be certain not to dawdle too long, lest you find the route impassable," says Orin in warning.

"Yes, I agree with Orin. I know it is somewhat short notice, but go home this evening and say your good byes to your loved ones. I will leave it to your discretion about what you say concerning your destination. Gather what you will need and meet me in our stead in the morning, I shall do what I can to equip you as well," states Osk. "I hope to avoid any problems by leaving, but there is no alternative to Illethkeep. We must pray that you are unnoticed..." in a grave tone.

Asbjørn looks a bit sheepish with his face downturned, "I knows a few ways, but they's real secrit. I could get us outta here and no'oned know differn't. I'd be blijed ta blindfold ya, us skinner's ain't got much and we's sore 'bout givin em up."

Osk looks at him with eyes that seem ready to burst, he had never even considered that they rarely left out of Illethkeep. So many in the stead just assumed them idiots and simpletons that no one had ever considered they could have kept such knowledge. "That shall be perfect then and do not worry yourself, none here will divulge your guild's lore lest they face my wrath," as he glanced about the party with a stern look. He knew what risk he had faced by even reveiling such a thing and was touched that he would offer it. He had known what had befell him so long ago and his appearance here had been quite a shock, perhaps he was ready to face his past and what skeletons lay there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At Osk's words, Ertryd begins to think of home and how much she missed even her absence from it of the afternoon.

As she hears Asbjørn offer a discreet route out of the stead, she perks up. She was beginning to wonder if the large group of travellers would be able to leave the stead without drawing attention.

The end of the meeting seemed to be drawing near. Tomorrow I will leave the stead that I have never once set foot out of. The thought is heavy in her mind. So is the feeling that she will miss her home once she is on the road. Adventure calls to her at the same time, however, and she is jittery with anticipation for the adventure to come.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ferous listens to the Thane and looks about. As the meeting winds to a close, and they are dismissed, Ferous gives a final bow to Osk, then his companions.

"Till the morrow my friends".

"Thank you me'lord, I look forward to seeing you real soon"

Ferous gives a final bow, and heads straight for his home.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thoriken

'Thinking that there is something amiss in the air, I need to think this thru there is something going on that I can't put my finger on' "Asbjørn, mate I need ta do sum thinkin, go on an have couple tankards, I'll meet ye in da mornin at stables to help with da stinkin mules"
    "Aye Thoriken, I kin do dat, everting a'right?" Asbjørn replies.
    "Nothin I can kin figger wrong, I am going to go down in da lower tunnels and jest find a place ta think is all, ye enjoy and sneak a tankard for me as well"
    Thoriken moves out the door after Asbjørn, gliding almost slightly on the cobble stoned thruway. After about an hour he finds a quiet hidden alcove and takes a seat. He ponders the events past, present and future for several hours, coming to the conclusion that he is doing the will of Moradin, he makes the return trip following the ringing of a hammer to the stables. Soon as he arrives and sets up a little pile straw he lays down to await Asbjørns arrival.

Downloads
    Uploads
    His companion arrives after what seems a bit, appearing somewhat shaken. He slumps down upon the straw and says little, but you do not detect the smell of spirits on him. His face is one of determination, it would appear that something had changed his demeanor since his departure and whatever it was certainly had an effect.

He lays down on the straw as he himself thinks over the events that were unfolding and how a clanless dwarf had secured a role in them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123