Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To seek a Thane

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Osk appears quite impressed by Ferrous' reply. He had wanted to meet him as soon as he had been found, but his many burdens had made it quite difficult. Balancing his priesthood and his thaneship had weighed down the usually spry duergar though he knew it would benefit his people to take on that mantle. Life was full of difficult choices and he had known them well before he accepted, such is the cost of success.

He turns back to the group at large and ushered the two forward to take part, "We were just discussing some delicate situations. I believe Ertryd Uerthshield, Grandaul of Thralsia, Blood of Kanik would be much better at explaining what is happening as I have little gift for the oratoracal skills," as he smiles warmly to her.

Dolastyr approaches, but keeps her head low. She had never seen such a beautiful dwarven maiden in the halls and truth be told was a bit intimidated by her.

Orin Garrick laughs a bit as he looks around for somewhere to sit, but finds none. "You are aware that chairs were invented Osk? Dugmaren does have his gains," in a chiding manner to the high priest of Dumathoin. "Yes, Yes, let us hear what you propose my dear. My ears to thirst to hear that honeyed voice again."

Last edited by mnemenoi; 09-18-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ertryd takes the compliment with a small smile as she straightens, then faces the two newcomers to tell of the events of the day.

"You may be aware that our people have been looking into a trading agreement with the humans and elves near the stead. This was brought to the coucil of Thanes today, where the majority voted to forego trade with the others. I believe that it would be disastrous to our people not to trade, as we have, of late, had shortages of food and other supplies." She pauses a moment to consider her words.

"I am not used to disobeying the Thanes, but after the council, I spoke with King Beldas. He was also in favor of trade, but could not directly go against the council. Thus, I volunteered to go initiate trade myself. He may not be tied directly to the mission, but our King wishes for it's success. He directed me to speak with Thane Osk, and the High Priest Orin Garrick was here when I arrived. The High Priest has offered to send a young priest with me. I suppose you would be that priest," she says, speaking to Dolastyr.

Turning to Ferous, she says "I certainly wouldn't turn down the offer of another travelling companion should the fates see you to join the trade mission as well. Quite honestly, if either of you has seen the outside world, I would be in your debt should you join me. I fear I have seen no more than the insides of tunnels and council chambers in my lifetime here in the stead." She gives an uncharacteristic display of wryness in the smile that follows.

The smile fades, as she returns to her usually serious demeanor, "There is one last thing, though it is something that you may have determined for yourselves. We must use discretion in our attempts to start trade, because we cannot allow our efforts to be wasted. I believe that I can trust the two of you, as the High Priest would want to send capable people for such a delicate trade operation." Ertryd looks at the two of them with quiet hope, as she listens to their reply.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ferous listens to Osk and then looks to the fair noble woman.

As she begins to speak, Ferous feels himself smile. To Ferous, hearing her speak is like hearing a fine musical instrument. As Ferous finds himself exposed to those who are learned, he finds that their speech is very fine to listen to. Just as Dolastyr speaks in melodies, so does this noble woman. While in the tunnels and on the march, the language is technically the same, but it is short, gruff, and loud; not to mention full of the crude adjectives that only a soldier can so artfully put together in one sentence. He is coming to the realization that he must do his best to learn to speak as they do, or his help in this mission will be quite limited.

He thinks to himself that Ertyd Uerthshield, Grandaul of Thralsia, Blood of Kanik is quite a fancy name, she must be of high noble blood. He will have to think twice before he speaks to her.

She finishes her speech, and he continues to smile. She looks at him and then Dolastyr, then they both look at him. He then looks to Osk and then to Orinn Garrick, and they too are looking to him. He takes that as his queue, and takes a breath.

“My lady Ertyd Uerthshield, Grandaul of Thralsia, Blood of Kanik, as me’ lord has stated, both my Thane, Sven Shield Star The Robust, and himself are in favor of this mission and the politics it produces, and has asked me assist you. While I understand that the council of Thanes voted against such actions, it truly isn’t they that I serve, so my opinion and duties are crystal clear. I have been delivered here to help you by Clangeddin Silverbeard and the other Gods of the deep earth. I proudly take your mission and will give all that I can to make it a success.”
    Ferous reaches in, grabs just the head of his axe and loudly thumps the inside of his shield three times, then bows to her ladyship.

As he bows, the thoughts are already entering his head. They are asking “what do you know of trade, and what do you know of politics?”
    Ferous does his best to ignore them, hoping some one will speak soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dolastyr looks up with a slight smile, "I do indeed wish to accompany you on such an undertaking, but I fear that I am needed here. It would be an honor to assist you though." Her face displays the frustration of not experiencing such an undertaking. "I am needed within the mines, as well as my other duties. I serve my Clan and as such it would please me, I fear my duties are long and need attending," as her shoulders slump slightly at giving her the truth.

Osk interrupts her immediately, "You'll be going if your Thane commands it!"

At this her eyes light up and a wide grin crosses her face, "I won't let you down Beljuril. I will do whatever is needed and shall go forth in our lord's glory," as she looks to Ferrous and Ertryd. "That is if you will have me?"

Orin can feel the sense of purpose within the group, He had known Osk from a very early age when they themselves had some outlandish tales of their own. Osk himself senses the same in the group and he would never have denied even one of his most devout acolytes an opportunity to travel and grow. He can only begin to wonder if she is ready to face the cold world that awaits her on the surface. Here she is accepted, but there she will be reviled and spit upon. He can only hope it is her destiny and she will percervere.

Orin whispers slightly to his fellow High Priest, "If you would have but told me I would have brought my man as well," in a chiding manner. "What makes you think I had not thought of that already dear Brother? He should be along shortly. Now if you'd not chosen your temple to lie out in Illethkeep then he'd be here already," Osk sharply retorts.
    Last edited by mnemenoi; 09-18-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ferous looks at the two women, and formulates his next words.

"Me'lady, mum, I have never set foot outside the Stead, I look forward to this mission and to help you both serve your masters with the utmost honor and success. While I have no knowledge of the other races, or of commerce per say, I will study your technique, and learn to be of whatever service I can be."

"Today is a good day, a very good day."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ertryd looks Ferous in the eye as he addresses her. She sees an earnesty in him that makes her smile. The ceremonial show at the end of his speech makes her blush.

When Dolastyr speaks, Ertryd turns to her. She has a fallen look of acceptance on her face as Dolastyr says she is unable to go. Ertryd feels slightly deflated until Osk's outburst. She can barely contain laughter at the Thane's lighthearted admonishment.

At Ferous's latter address, Ertryd feels her resolve growing and her spirits soaring. Things are falling into place, and she will soon be on a grand quest. "Ferous Goldvein, you are a noble dwarf if ever I saw one. Our quest is bettered for your place in it. Dolastyr Vyrn Garnet, I am wholeheartedly glad that you may accompany us. A woman of faith, such as yourself, can help cement the success of the quest."

Ertryd is feeling more joy than she can remember since the day her grandmother began training her to sing.Tears of joy come to her eyes, though she swiftly blinks them away and hopes that no one noticed her uncharacteristically strong display of emotion.
    Last edited by Crossroads_Wanderer; 09-18-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dolastyr smiles at the dwarven noble as she speaks, as she begins to feel a bit more at ease. "It will certainly be an honor to accompany you both, I appreciate your confidence and I will not let either of you down."

A loud cry and muttered curse from the tunnel behind you all immediately grabs everyone's attention. Shortly after a very frantic young dwarf comes racing in with sweat dripping from his brow. He wears an embroidered tabard with white ermine trim and has a shortly cropped beard and mustache that appear meticulously manicured. A large golden coin dangles precariously from his neck and appears quite out of place. Almost immediately upon entry he realizes his company and bows, though when he does so he stays there for a second before placing his hands on his knees and breathing heavily.

"Glad you made it young Erizak, I was beginning to think you might have become lost," states his high priest in a mischievous grin.

"Made it... got the maps... requested... need to sit down....," coming out in wheezes.

"Of course Barur, please sit. We have something of a proposition for you after you have managed to find your breath," states Osk in a fatherly tone. He had certainly stated it was an urgent matter, but had not assumed he would nearly kill himself in getting here.

Dolastyr smiles at the younger dwarf, "Barur its been some years, but I remember you from our previous dealings. How finds your family these days? If my memory serves it was quite generous even then. Has Berronar seen fit to gift your mother with any more children?" in a friendly tone that suggests they were well enough acquainted.

He finally rises and although a bit red in the face, he smiles broadly "We are up to eight now. So two more since last we spoke, I wonder if my mother should lead the local clergy," with a jovial smile. He immediately realizes he wishes not to be considered rude and comes forward to the group. "Forgive my entrance, I am Barur Erizak Gilded Merchant and Alloyn of Vergadain and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," with a slight bow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ferous turns and smiles at Dolastyr, and then quickly turns toward the disturbance.

Bowing his head toward the chambers new comer, he looks about,then towards Ertryd, giving her defference to speak first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Coming from her previous state of joy, which made her somewhat oblivious to the events around her, the loud clatter in the hall nearly makes Ertryd jump.

After the initial shock, Ertryd is amused by the young priest's behavior. He is not what she would have expected, but she feels a hint of endearment growing. She wonders at how different her thoughts and behavior have been, just in this past day. She has always behaved very seriously, but she has found herself bordering on laughter or merriment several times in the past hour or so. Her smile is renewed again when the young priest speaks almost irreverently about his growing family.

She politely introduces herself to Barur, "I am Ertryd Uerthshield, Grandaul of Thralsia, Blood of Kanik. The pleasure of aquaintence is mine." She bows her head slightly.

Something subconscious suddenly catches her attention and Ertryd nearly jumps toward Barur. She takes a moment to regain composure, so she doesn't make a fool of herself. "Did you say you have maps?" she questions the young priest with an edge of excitement in her voice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ferous, hears Etryd's introduction, and subsequent question and pauses momentarily.

He thinks "Should I interupt her question?"

He decides it is not his place to interupt the noble woman and the priest..raises his head from the bow, and listens to their conversation, while further looking about the room and it's inhabitants.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He smiles at her with a questioning look that suggests he doesn't fully understand their necessity, "Oh yes, just as the Old One of Dumathoin had requested. I gathered what I could from the different Adbarrans that had come here originally, they didn't really have any reason to keep them so they gave me them for nothing. I felt a bit bad, so I gave them some gold all the same," as he drew forth a collection of yellowed maps from his pack.

He then realized he had not spoken the ranking clergy and immediately nodded reverently to both Osk and Orin. "You said something of a proposition Revered one?"

Osk nodded and held his hands to his chin in calculation, "It appears there is need of someone well versed in trade and the languages of the realms. Your high priest has spoken of you quite highly. Do you believe you are up to the task? It shall be quite a journey and if there be any doubt I shall be forced to find another that might be better suited...." as if he were still unsure about his choice.

Barur stands proudly, "I shall not let you down great one, I have studied my entire life for the opportunity to go out into the world and use Vergadain's teachings. I know three tongues and can write them all, though I must confess that my elven is a bit shaky," with a slight laugh. "Now if I could find just one then I'm certain it would be mastered in a matter of days," with an air of confidence.

"Perhaps," replies Osk as though still contemplating. "What say you, Orik? Should we rely just on young Erizak here?"

Orin Garrick seems to join the charade and look upon his younger priest as if he were a horse buyer. "He is young and quite sure of himself, though this calls for a master trader with a shrewd mind and quick wits. Perhaps I should call upon my uncle, ha is a bit older..."

"I can, I promise. I won't let you down, I'll be the hardest bargainer you've ever seen," in a very animated tone.

"You had better, I would not expect any less! You will be accompanying this fine group here," as Orin indicates the three. "You will be representing Vergadain, the stead and your clan so I only am expecting your utmost best," in a hard strict manner.

Barur smiles proudly for his bargaining, "Thank you, you'll not be sorry," as he realizes he has yet to be introduced to the third companion. He extends his arm to the fellow, "I am Barur Erizak Gilded Merchant and Alloyn of Vergadai, that's some Axe, I bet you kill a giant with that," in a naive and wondrous tone to Ferrous.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ferous steps forward, extending his forearm, and gripping the fellow's forearm in same, looking him in they eyes. Ferous is quite familiar with this form of greeting, and relaxes immediately with Barur.

"Well met Barur Erizak Gilded Merchant and Alloyn of Verdegai, I am Ferous Goldvein, Son of Sact, Blood of Sactum." It felt good to Ferous to use his "new" name. He felt proud to say it, and it showed through.

Ferous glances at his axe and back to Barur.

"I can only hope that it serves us well and it strikes true".

"It will serve us well to have an experienced merchant with us, your presence will be greatly appreciated."

Downloads
    Uploads
    "I bet," as he speaks of his axe. It always seemed that even dwarves without axes had a certain fondness toward them. "Well, I wouldn't say experienced exactly," as he had never even left the stead itself," but I'll read enough to know what I'm doing," he finishes with a boyish grin. He was certainly the youngest in the group and his naivete seemed to be the most apparent. It would only be the test of the road and his mettle that would forge him into something greater and he knew it as well.

"Well it seems everyone has finally met," states Orin with a quick glance toward Osk. Somehow he doubted that just four young dwarves were all that would be sent through the Greypeaks. They were dangerous in the summer and outright insane to travel in winter.

The soft sounds of the acolyte coming from the tunnel alerted everyone to his presence far before he finally came into the chamber. He nodded apologetically as he moved forward and whispered into Osk's ear quietly.

"Yes, Yes, show them in please," as the young dwarf scurried from the chamber. He looked at everyone in explanation, "I have requested some mules to ease the trip and it appears Olorn has sent some men with a reply. I'll assume no one is opposed to mules?" with an inquisitive eye over the group for any dissenters.

"I don't mind at all, its about all we really get to do out in Illeth," says Barur with a gleam in his eye.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thoriken

Thoriken readily waves Asbjørn over when the acolyte reappears. They him follow down through the winding tunnels feeling more secure within them as time goes on.

As they enter the chamber Thoriken once again takes the lead in intro's. Thoriken bows respectfully to the Thane first, the higher ranking clergy and finally to the chantress, Asbjørn following suit. As he regains his feet "Wel met M'Lords, M'Lady, I am Thoriken Atticahammer, 'Avenger of Moradin', and this is Asbjørn Oathbreaker, muleskinner of the hold and me shieldmate. We were asked by the C'mander of the keep to pass ye this message" Thoriken moves forward to hand the message to the Thane, he then resumes his place beside Asbjørn.
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Osk seems to smile at your introductions, while Orin seems quite surprised when Avenger of Moradin is mentioned in your name. He does recover quickly, and all bow their heads to you in acknowledgment.

Osk looks over the note you had given him and smiles, "Well, it certainly appears that Olorn has not lost his sense of delegating duties," with slight amusement. "Neither of you seem to belong to the army, if my suspicions are correct. I know of the Ghosts in the halls, though only in passing. Might I be so brazen to ask what you think concerning your high priest Balabault and his reverent duties in preserving our traditions?" in a reletive manner that did not imply any ulterior motives. He had some suspicions about their order, but he wanted some confirmation before he continued.

Asbjørn simply awaited his freind behind him, not wanting to offend any of these nobles. He looked a bit suspicious of the gray dwarves in their midst, he had little dealings with them and had heard a few very scandalous rumors. He doubted they were true, but he had often found that watching silently told him much about their character.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast