Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Player Handbook 3

Downloads
    Uploads

Player Handbook 3

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I think we need a thread to start posting what all is going on in Player Handbook 3. I seen a picture of the cover of the book and it looks like Minotaurs are a playable race now. Who wants Steak?! It also has been confirmed Githzerai are in. Also the Wilder race is in which if I do say so this book is definately going to be for obscure races.

For classes it revolves around divine, primal, and psionic. The main class confirmed so far is Monk.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    also the psion is available for play.

I heard only 4 races in this one.

It'll also include all of the dual-classing stuff.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm limiting my current game to PHB2 and earlier for player options. I don't want to punish the players that stick with their original characters too much by having lots and lots of options that weren't available initially.

We've already had two characters switch out- our Cleric became a Bard after we lost all of our Defenders to attrition, and our Warlock became a Swordmage for the exact same reason.

I do like the idea that psionics are an extension of the power of the Far Plane- I'm certainly one of the gamers that sees psi as a science-fiction intrusion on medieval fantasy, so it was good of them to come up with that explanation rather than it just being the "mind over matter" of SF.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I've never been big on psionics in the past, in part because they seemed to be a fairly different type of mechanic than all the other classes used. It looks as though they are fixing that somewhat and are actually making it kind of neat (eliminating the encounter powers for instance in lieu of altering the at-wills).

Still though I'm not a real big fan psionics and placing the monk class with the psionic power source just seems odd to me. Of course I also think that they are a little overly concerned with the whole power source thing anyway, but that's a different issue. The martial power source for instance to me, isn't really a source of power as it is just simply practice and training. Not a big issue in the main though.

As for what I'll allow, I won't have a problem with allowing PHB3 as those classes are likely to be behind the others anyway since the other classes will already have multiple books out with powers, feats, items, etc. Additionally, my campaign is run at a FLGS for which no fee is charged, and while its not required by the store, I feel its only appropriate to open the game up to all the different books so as to encourage the patronage of the store. That's a personal decision of mine though.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have a problem with a psionics as long as it didn't require an entirely different set of mechanics. I also prefer psionics in more of an "age of reason" campaign rather than dark ages or early renaissance.

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    I do like the idea that psionics are an extension of the power of the Far Plane- I'm certainly one of the gamers that sees psi as a science-fiction intrusion on medieval fantasy, so it was good of them to come up with that explanation rather than it just being the "mind over matter" of SF.
    From what I've read, psionics aren't so much an extension of the Far Realms, but rather a reaction by the World to the increasing Far Realm incursion. More beings are being born with psi powers to fight the insult from the abberent creatures. I believe a number abberent creatures are vulnerable to psychic damage too.
    "You know spies gamers, a bunch of *****y little girls." - Sam Axe

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a level 3 psion power, which I think is quite useful... but not as powerful as it should be. With this power, it's Intelligence vs. Will. Not too good of an attack, unless you have a magic item to compliment this.

Betrayal

You weaken your foe’s sense of self and force it to betray a comrade.
    At-Will Augmentable, Charm, Implement, Psionic
    Standard Action Ranged 10
    Target: One enemy
    Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
    Hit: You slide the target 1 square to a square adjacent to an enemy. The target then makes a melee basic attack as a free action against that enemy, with a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier.
    Augment 1
    Hit: As above, and the target gains a bonus to the damage roll equal to your Charisma modifier.
    Augment 2
    Hit: You slide the target a number of squares equal to your Charisma modifier to a square adjacent to an enemy. The target then makes a melee basic attack as a free action against that enemy, with a bonus to the attack roll and the damage roll equal to your Charisma modifier. The target is also dazed until the end of your next turn.
    First published in Player's Handbook 3.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm definitely not going to utilize the races and classes in PHB3 for my campaign. I'm just about to start it and don't want to try to figure out how to fit all the new stuff in on a quick pace. I'm slow!

I will use the classes and races later, and at that point let my players do the same if they wish, but I don't want to cripple the start of my game with options that don't have a setting appropriate hook. Yes, I like that kind of detail.
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok I've been having a thought about Minotaurs as a race. I hope to god they have custom equipment for them. They wouldn't be able to wear regular equipment! And I'm not just saying this because of the size because I'm picturing these things to be around the same size as the equally large race the Goliaths.

I'm talking about the structure. Here are the issues i'm having.

1. They wouldn't be able to wear a regular helmet. They have big ole cow horns and the head is a completely different shape from a regular normal "more human" looking race.

2. They wouldn't be able to wear regular boots. Unless they changed the structure of these Minotaurs the ones I know don't have feet. They have hoofs. What are they going to do? Make Minotaurs purchase horse shoes?

3. They wouldn't be able to wear regular gloves. Now this statement might not be as big of an issue as others but if you look at the picture they only have 3 fingers and a thumb.

Now I did talk to a few DMs from these forums on AOL about this and one of them brought up the possibility of barding like they do for horses. What do you guys have to say about all this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandore The Giant Killer View Post
    Ok I've been having a thought about Minotaurs as a race. I hope to god they have custom equipment for them. They wouldn't be able to wear regular equipment! And I'm not just saying this because of the size because I'm picturing these things to be around the same size as the equally large race the Goliaths.

1. They wouldn't be able to wear a regular helmet. They have big ole cow horns and the head is a completely different shape from a regular normal "more human" looking race.

2. They wouldn't be able to wear regular boots. Unless they changed the structure of these Minotaurs the ones I know don't have feet. They have hoofs. What are they going to do? Make Minotaurs purchase horse shoes?

3. They wouldn't be able to wear regular gloves. Now this statement might not be as big of an issue as others but if you look at the picture they only have 3 fingers and a thumb.

Now I did talk to a few DMs from these forums on AOL about this and one of them brought up the possibility of barding like they do for horses. What do you guys have to say about all this?
    Honestly, while you are correct in that minotaur armor would be different from human armor, etc. I think its better to leave it just as is and assume that they buy appropriate armor. Think of it this way: halflings have to wear different armor than dwarves who cannot wear human armor who cannot wear goliath armor, etc. I personally think that you just complicate the game too much when you start trying to create distinctive sets for every race. I think its better to simply let the DM and players decide what the armor looks like but to keep pricing, availability, types, etc. consistent with the rest. Just my two coppers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    From what I've read, psionics aren't so much an extension of the Far Realms, but rather a reaction by the World to the increasing Far Realm incursion. More beings are being born with psi powers to fight the insult from the abberent creatures. I believe a number abberent creatures are vulnerable to psychic damage too.
    The causal connection between the two wasn't all that clear (in fact, I think it's deliberately vague)- here's the section from the article I was talking about- is this the same source you read?

Recently, as the Far Realm's incursion into the world has grown more aggressive, psionic energy has become more common, stronger, and easier to control. Previously, only monks could tap into it with their rigorous discipline and self-control. Now others can utilize it, from psions who study and unlock its secrets to others who acquire psionic powers seemingly at the universe's whim.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can use the Enchant Magic Item ritual at no cost to resize and refit an object to match your Minotaur (or Halfling or what-have-you). At earliest levels, I'm assuming you'd simply buy what you need or have a connection to refit things to suit you. You are, after all, a hero.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just because Minotaurs have horse-like features, doesn't necessarily mean they'll keep barding in their mouth. It's not like they need to be steered into combat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, technically, minotaurs look like cows, not horses. Cows have cloven hooves, and I don't think a cow can get "shoed."

I think you're totally correct, though. But the main theme of 4E is "brush it all under the rug."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wait wait... There is going to be a #3? how many PHBs are they going to do?
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast