Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Giant's Fall (My future players keep out! hehe)

Downloads
    Uploads

Giant's Fall (My future players keep out! hehe)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Thanks to whomever in chat suggested the name Giant's Fall. Sorry I didn't write down your name.

Plot Synopsis

The town of Giant's Fall is built upon the corpse of a long decaying forest giant who once preyed upon the game in the area for sport. A group of adventurers sickened by his slaughter brought him to rest and their druid companion performed a ritual to ensure his body would return to nature in payment for his killings. The flesh was quickly consumed by the earth and his bones were buried by the ritual overnight where he fell. Founded by one of the adventurers who was injured the fight, the Giant's Fall has stood for decades upon the sanctified ground.

The local healer is a wise yet senile old man likely not much longer for this world. His underground home is dug down into the earth, the main chamber of which is located in the very cavity where the giant's heart once was.

A corrupt druid by the name of Ursion has plans to raise the giant to unholy life which will inevitably destroy the town, and probably much more until it is stopped. Ursion believes that all humans (like him) are a blight on the world.

First Ursion must seek out the Undying Seeds borne from an evil twisted tree lying deep within the Ashwood forest. The apothecary of a distant neighboring town holds the key to locating the ever rotting cancerous tree. Fortunately for him, his arrival in this town will coincide with a raid by goblins and if he can avoid the evil plunderers he will torture and kill the apothecary to find out what he wants to know before fleeing amidst the chaos.

Where do the PCs come in?
    Well in my group I have a druid who will learn of Ursion's corruption and hopefully seek to find a way to stop him. Should they follow him to the town they might be caught up in the goblin attack, and have the chance to discover clues to the villain's sinister purpose. From there it's on to Giant's Fall to piece things together and hopefully stop the hideous unbirth.

Should he be successful in planting an Undying Seed within the healer's main chamber it will quickly grow into a large twisted rotten growth similar in appearance to a human heart. It's hollow unholy beating will be heard as the giant stirs to life and rises to destroy whatever his dark master desires.

Here are some stats I've written for Ursion and the Undead Forest Giant. I created them using the Pathfinder RPG and the Bestiary Preview with a few tidbits from Monster Manual II.

URSION, CORRUPT DRUID CR 4
    Male human druid 4
    NE Medium humanoid (human)
    Init +2; Perception +9

DEFENSE
    AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 ( +4 chain shirt, +2 Dex)
    hp 22 (4d8-4 +4 toughness)
    Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +7

OFFENSE
    Spd 30 ft.
    Melee masterwork sickle +5 (1d6+1)
    Ranged sling +5 (1d4) 50 feet range
    Special Attacks bleeding touch

STATISTICS
    Str 13, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 10
    Base Atk +3; CMB +4; CMD 13
    Feats Toughness, Eschew Materials, Natural Spell

Skills Concentration +5, Heal +9, Knowledge (geography) +7, Knowledge (nature) +9, Perception +9, Spellcraft +7, Swim +7, Survival +11

Languages Common, Druidic
    SQ Corrupted Bond, Wild Animosity, Vermin Shape 1/day
    Combat Gear masterwork sickle, studded Leather
    Other Gear ever-burning torch, Ring of Sustenance, tatter black cloak, worn boots, ragged dirt stained clothing

Spells 4, 4+1, 3+1
    Orisons Spoil Food and Drink, Read Magic, Decay, Detect Magic

1st Level Magic Stone, Obscuring Mist, Produce Flame, Longstrider, Cause Fear

2nd Level Flaming Sphere, Spider Climb, Death Knell

Corrupted Bond (Ex): Ursion has become tainted by exposure to the Undying Seeds. He has gained the Death cleric domain.

Bleeding Touch (Sp): As a melee touch attack Ursion can cause a living creature to take 1d6 points of damage per round for 2 rounds, or until a successful DC 15 Heal check is performed. He can use this ability 5 times per day.

Wild Animosity (Ex): Any animal that encounters Ursion is automatically hostile. If cornered normal animals will attack before fleeing at the earliest possible opportunity.

Withering Stride (Ex): Any plant that impedes Ursion in any way is instantly withered and dies. He may move through any sort of undergrowth at normal speed like a druid's Woodland Stride ability. He may kill normal plants with a touch.

Unnatural Armor: Unlike traditional druids, Ursion can wear light metal armor.

Resist Nature's Lure (Ex): As the druid ability.

Vermin Shape (Su): Once per day Ursion wild shape as the druid ability, but his forms are restricted to vermin.

New Orisons
    Spoil Food and Drink This spell is a twisted version of Purify Food and Drink. It instead causes a like amount of food to spoil and be infested with maggots or appropriate vermin.

Decay This spell is a twisted version of mending. It instead causes 1d4 damage to the object, ignoring hardness.

UNDEAD FOREST GIANT CR 6
    XP 3200
    NE Huge Undead
    Init +6; Senses darkvision 60ft; Perception +0

DEFENSE
    AC 15, touch 12, flat-footed 13 (+2 Dex, +3 natural)
    hp 62 (13d8)
    Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +8
    DR 5/bludgeoning; Immune cold, undead traits Fast healing 6, Channel resistance +4, Regrowth

OFFENSE
    Speed 40ft
    Melee great club +18 (2d8+16) or 2 claws +20 (2D6+11)

STATISTICS
    Str 33, Dex 14, Con , Int , Wis 10, Cha 10
    Base Atk +9; CMB +22; CMD 34
    Feats Improved Initiative
    Gear great club

ECOLOGY
    Environment any
    Organization any
    Treasure Whatever the healer had stored within a small relic box when part of his hovel was uprooted. This can be found within the giant's chest near the heart.

Regrowth (Su): The giant skeleton is destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points, but returns to unlife 1 hour later at 1 hit point as it's heart begins to beat anew, allowing it's fast healing thereafter to resume healing it. It can only be permanently stopped if it's heart is destroyed by positive energy, if it is reduced to 0 hit points in the area of a bless or hallow spell, or it's heart is splashed with holy water.

--- Merged from Double Post ---
    Now edited and tweaked. It's funny how you miss things the later you're up working on something. I removed the Giant's earthen armor ability sinced DR and Fast Healing make it pretty durable to begin with. This is intended to be a major fight (if they can't prevent it from being created.)

Also if the plot synopsis sounds a little railroady it's partially because I started from the end of a major plot arc and am working backwards to plot out material to bring the players from 1st level to about 4th or 5th.
    Last edited by CEBedford; 08-19-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good!
    Have fun!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, sounds very interesting indeed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks! I'm even now plotting future evils that Ursion can bring about using the Undying Seeds and other nastiness. That is of course as long as they don't off him prematurely.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CEBedford View Post

Where do the PCs come in?
    Well in my group I have a druid who will learn of Ursion's corruption and hopefully seek to find a way to stop him. Should they follow him to the town they might be caught up in the goblin attack, and have the chance to discover clues to the villain's sinister purpose...

I bolded the points of interest. You have a fallback plan if the druid either has other interests he wishes to follow or if the players are just too dense to pick up on the clues? (or if the druid cares but the rest of the party are more profit minded)
    Masaru Academy, a roleplaying experience you'll never forget.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucian-Sunaka View Post
    I bolded the points of interest. You have a fallback plan if the druid either has other interests he wishes to follow or if the players are just too dense to pick up on the clues? (or if the druid cares but the rest of the party are more profit minded)
    I do. I used those words on purpose because I didn't want to bog down my post with all the possible tangents I may end up using instead. I've never played with these two players before so we'll see how it goes. Tomorrow night should be the kick off.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And?!?
    So, what happened?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cigamnogard View Post
    And?!?
    So, what happened?
    Nothing major yet. We spent part of the session refining and finishing characters which was fine. Then I ended up running a short "dungeon crawl."

They decided to do some investigating, after stumbling upon the remains of a travelling Bard and his bodyguard. They discovered soon after that it was the work of a small group of goblins and decided to clean out their lair.

They had fun though dealing with the devious gremlin-like goblins and by the end of the session they were just reaching Giant's Fall.

I'll be weaving some hooks for this idea into next week's game. Plus after playing this first session I have a better idea what interests them and how to better tailor my plot hooks to appeal to them.