Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: [Shadowrun] At Gencon

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

[Shadowrun] At Gencon

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I signed up for one of the Missions and unfortunately due to motorcycle trouble (I dropped the bike and broke the clutch lever), I missed it. But I also signed up for the Shadowrun Tournament.

In addition, I dropped in at the Catalyst booth at the entrance of the dealer room and picked up the new 20th Anniversary Shadowrun 4th book, Running Wild critter book, a special GenCon run of Seattle 2072, and Dusk: Dawn of the Artifacts, an adventure.

I also picked up the three new CthulhuTech books, Eclipse Phase, special dice, an Ares t-shirt, and a DocWagon patch.

The Tournament game ran over two days with different GMs on each day. I won't go into the game itself so I don't spoil it for others who may want to play it but it was a pretty good game.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hows Seattle 2072? I really loved the 1e Seattle book... nothing has compared with it since.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since I'm on my bike trip too, I haven't had much time to do more than look it over briefly. It's very nice and in color so that's pretty cool. It's a hardback too if you didn't know.

Without having the 1st Ed book (or others) handy to reference, I have to say that it seems pretty interesting from a second look just now. The various areas in Seattle have good descriptions. There are little pop-up sized advertisements scattered throughout and at least two (probably more) fiction pieces. There are little history bits about the things that have happened in the older books such as a page on Renraku Shutdown, Lone Star, Universal Brotherhood, and the Mob War books.

In the back there is a three page "yellow pages" type phone book of places. Seattle Politics, gangs, and lots of in text comments. Lots of colorful and well done artwork and the reuse of old artwork (Renraku cover page is one I spotted as I was flipping).

Overall I like it. I'll want to compare the info between the versions to see how they compare.

Carl
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Do you have a list of things you _didn't_ like about the newer ones? Maybe I can do a quick look and let you know if it's still there.

Carl
    Last edited by Freejack; 08-17-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was mostly a content thing... Each edition had less places and less street talk than before. In 1e Redmond alone was its own setting with 6+ bar/restaurants and misinformation street talk on each. 3 hospitals, clubs etc. I could get a feeling for all the places. They just didn't go into that level of detail with New Seattle and Runners Havens was even less.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok. I'd have to wait to check out the older editions before I can give any comments on it. Redmond has its own section; pg 114 to 122 with street talk and a little history sidebar.

Carl

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
    I signed up for one of the Missions and unfortunately due to motorcycle trouble (I dropped the bike and broke the clutch lever), I missed it. But I also signed up for the Shadowrun Tournament.

Carl
    Sorry to hear about the bike. Hope you didn't get hurt! But it doesn't look like you did. Hope the rest of the trip is less eventful!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    Sorry to hear about the bike. Hope you didn't get hurt! But it doesn't look like you did. Hope the rest of the trip is less eventful!
    Nah. It was a stupid mistake. I was leaving the campground and heading for the freeway when I saw a sign "93E Entrance Only" and for some reason I thought I wanted to get on the other way. I pulled over to the shoulder, looked behind me to make sure no one was coming and started the U-Turn. About half way around, I failed to give the bike enough gas and killed the engine which caused a lurch and stop and down I went.

I thought it was ok and after getting it picked up with some help, I made it to the next exit but couldn't continue so I had to wait 2.5 days for a replacement lever to be UPS'd to me.

No injury except to my pride

Carl

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to read your okay after the drop.

And thank you for the GenCon Report!!!

2.5 days!!!! I would've been trying this fix!!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ouch!