Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Earthdawn 3e - Tell me

Downloads
    Uploads

Earthdawn 3e - Tell me

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Thoughts? Experiences? Opinions?

It looks interesting, but I need more info!
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The buzz I've hear is that it seams just a reprint of 2e, but the only one I know who bought it has only flipped through it so take it with a grain of salt.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    heres the link to the free download of the quickstart for the 3rd edition game. I think it looks good, but thats me.

http://www.redbrick-limited.com/cms/...&p13_fileid=16
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    That preview is for ED2e. It gives a nice summary of the setting and an idea of how the basic rules work. Would love to see that same thing with updates for any changes made for 3e.

I ordered the GMs and Player's guides. I will share more after I read them and give it a playtest!
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    oh.. they must have recently put this out. the last time i checked it was still the revised 2nd edition books. does this mean that its a mongoose game now or is it still controlled by Redbrick? I hope its not using the Runequest system. that would suck.
    Last edited by jade von delioch; 08-15-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    Redbrick is still developing this. ED3 uses an updated version of the original system (this I know from reading everything I could find... ). Mongoose is publishing it under the Flaming Cobra brand.

I like how Mongoose is becoming a conglomerate of designer houses and providing publishing and distribution. It's seems like a good model for the gamers. We get "smaller" new and less known games coming right to the stores and traditional distribution channels. I really appreciate how Mongoose is doing this.

So, really I am still curious about system specifics and how it plays. If you have played 2E or 1E, I am sure your impressions will still get me the gist of it.

Thanks for the link jade von delioch, I appreciate the help!
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    ya, a report about the game would be great then.

That awesome that mongoose is doing all that. They found a niche that works well for everyone.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    A bit late, I find it quite fun, there are quite a few changes from Classic/Original quite a few good, some I don't agree with but that's me. All in all It's a great system update.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.redbrick-limited.com/cms/...=67&book_id=42

This is the newest preview of the game.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    Earthdawn has an odd version history: 1st edition FASA got forked into 2nd edition with Living Room Games and ED Classic by Redbrick. 3rd edition is a revision of ED Classic. LRG has lost their license and its version is dead.

I was a 1st and 2nd edition player, so moving to 3rd I had to adjust and get all the changes done in ED Classic as well.

Overall it is a good system. They've modified movement & ranges a ton, so players aren't as fast or faster than horses. The character system is built around choices of talents rather than set talents (ED Classic had this before, but it was new to me). There are a ton of smaller changes that I am not sure if they are new with ED Classic or were new with 3rd. Most are ok, although for a short campaign I ran I cherry picked what I wanted to include and not include.

The step table was reworked for 3rd edition. It smooths out some of the variances in results at particular steps by removing the d4 and d20 from the step tables. None of the people I've played with really cared for it though, so we just use the old step table anyhow. I've got all but one of the 3rd edition books so far. They are well done. So far it is mostly reprints and consolidation of information rather than new material. All of the old 1st/2nd/Classic material is still completely usable as well.
    Last edited by Dale; 07-03-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: formatting

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As it was explained to me by the developer, Classic was essentially RedBrick's version of 2e. They didn't care for a number of the rules changes LRG made in 2e -- I think it's important to mention there was no hatred or ill will expressed by RB for LRG; they seem to have a healthy respect for LRG and an overall positive view of 2e even though they do not agree with every design decision LRG made. Classic ended up a little different from 1e, albeit in a different way than 2e, but overall was much closer to 1e with just a few things cleaned up. The major advantage of Classic is that the two Compendiums contain so much information. They take all core disciplines up to Circle 15, explore the world of Barsaive in great detail(information was pulled together from numerous sourcebooks from previous editions), etc. They also spent some time cleaning up the presentation so that there weren't stray rules hanging around(one over in a sidebar[unless it was an optional rule that was supposed to be in a sidebar, of course], one in a sourcebook not everyone would have, etc.).

3e has some changes, yes. The disciplines have been made a little more customizable with talent options(instead of having every talent assigned at every circle), though not nearly to an extent that would step on the toes of the human Versatility talent. Other than that, the changes seem mostly to be geared toward making things easier on the GM -- especially in the areas of NPC creation, monster creation, and magic item creation. The strange(fully intentional, but strange) thing is that these changes don't do anything to change the "balance" of the game. You can take creatures, items, and characters from earlier editions and use them as-is in a 3e game(and vice versa) without worrying that you're going to "unbalance" anything. It's a clearer, easier-to-use, more customizable, yet fully backwards-compatible new edition. Plus it's the version currently in print(with the Cathay supplement finally after all this time slated for a Christmas season release if all goes well).

And on a sidenote, I've heard some people worry about Mongoose's involvement. If you really don't like what Mongoose has done with the games they've released(and not owning any of those, I have no opinion about that personally), you don't have to worry. Mongoose is merely acting as the publisher via their Flaming Cobra imprint. RedBrick is still fully in charge of actually writing and developing Earthdawn 3e.