Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: [Setting Riff] Noir Wars

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

[Setting Riff] Noir Wars

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So, I was watching Star Wars: the Clone Wars (the movie) last night, and this badwrongfun idea hit me during the Ziro the Hutt bits: a Star Wars, as written by Raymond Chandler or James Ellroy, from the seedy underbelly of Coruscant only glimpsed at in the prequels.

Remove (most of) the adventure serial tropes, replace with hardboiled detective tropes seasoned with noir stylings. Rather than the Jedi/Sith morality play, the Galaxy shifts further away from such ethical extremities; indeed, the deeper underground you go, the more muddied things become.

The movers and shakers would be, naturally, the less-scrupulous personalities - crime lords, the Senators in their pockets, thier hatchet men, and anyone looking for a shortcut past the Republic's red tape. They succeed, even those in prominent positions, except when the law takes an interest in such dealings ...

No one, no matter how connected, goes by unscathed when the Republic's "peacekeepers", the Jedi, get involved. Rarely do they make an appearance in places this far removed from their official purposes, but high-profile cases demand results. And the Jedi always get results. *Always.*

Rather convenient, though, what with their mystical mind-powers, that very few suspects deny their crimes after the Jedi "investigations." Those that resisted always ended up ... missing. Or worse. The Republic could hardly allow the status quo to break, now could it?

But, thinking bigger, what if they aren't just following the Senate. What if the Jedi are taking orders from someone else, or even themselves. The Council is secretive, its membership largely unknown outside the Order and its deliberations largely unknow within the Order. As the Republic's state religion, as well as its executive arm, they are in a rather unique position, should something happen to disrupt the Senate. And the election of a new Supreme Chancellor is approaching ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    When does this game start and where do I sign up???
    Struggle Against the Empire Character: Deak Alder

Downloads
    Uploads
    Raymond Chandler is by far hands-down my favorite author of all time!

This sounds like an awesome idea!

I've always been interested in writing a mystery story for Star Wars, unfortunately my attempts seem to always fall flat.

More more more!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would also like to join up in this game if possible... The idea of a smuggler has always been appealing to me and this would give me a good chance to try it out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This kinda reminded me of Penny Arcade's recent Automata side-story.

Part 1
    Part 2-6 (keep clicking Next button to continue the comic)

It may get your creative juices flowing.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, Penny Arcade indeed rocks; there's a lot of the right flavor in that little vignette ^_^ (Side note: did you see Gabe's DnD volcano encounter set? Mighty impressive, that~!)

Between that, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, and the Phillip Marlowe school of investigation, this little musing is rather interesting. Throw it in business with game like FATE/Spirit of the Century, for the right narrative controls and default assumptions. Might even replace the space-western Firefly hybrid I'd previously been flirting with :P

If only school would *not* start on Monday, sheesh; no courtesy for the slacker-hobbyist, I tells ya.