Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Race/Class Creation

Downloads
    Uploads

Race/Class Creation

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hey there,

I am considering building a conversion for Warhammer into the 4E system. I really dig how 4E plays, and the tools for DMs and such are fairly straightforward. However, I'm a huge fan of the Warhammer Fantasy setting and I am thinking I want to convert their races/monsters/classes/technology to the 4E system. (everyone has the rules and know how to play, so in ways it will be easier for the players too)

The monsters should be easy - they even have the new monster builder tool that's great. What I am hesitant is modding/creating new races and classes. While the tools in 4E are great for this, it still is new territory for me.

Anyone tackle race/class creation in 4E yet and have any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Cheers ~
    Spazzle

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Time for a post-Gen Con bump!

I have not tinkered with race/class creation; but I'd have to wager that a good number of folks are more than versed in it at this point. Have you had any luck finding other examples?
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not familiar with Warhammer myself, but that being said, I wouldn't think that creating the races would be all that difficult. Between the PHBs and the Monster Manuals you already have a pretty good idea for what to do for new races (stat bumps vs. skill and defense bumps vs. racial powers).

Creating classes though I would likely caution against. The problem is that in order to create an interesting class, you are going to need to create a ton of powers, feats, and features plus at least a couple paragon paths and an epic destiny or two geared toward each class in order to put it on par with the other classes already in the system.

The problem is that this creates a lot of different stuff that you have to balance all at once. Its a fairly easy matter to balance 1 or 2 new additions with the rest, but doing so for even just one class worth of materials would be challenging. Doing so for multiple classes would be a real headache. Quite frankly this was one of the major problems with 3.x. All the new material became nearly impossible to balance.

That being said, I see no reason why it would be difficult to start adding in new powers and feats that are based off of warhammer to the different classes. A few at a time would be fairly easy.