Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What's the craziest, most unusual, or coolest place you ever gamed?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the craziest, most unusual, or coolest place you ever gamed?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking What's the craziest, most unusual, or coolest place you ever gamed?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    What's the craziest, most unusual, or coolest place you ever gamed?

As always, all gaming genres welcomed to participate.

If one has played long enough, chances are you played either at a friends cool gaming basement, underground, or perhaps in the middle of the forest. These are just some examples.

For me, i have played in a cave for an Underdark adventure(DnD, obviously) and in a forest during a Black Forest adventure(WFRP-Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay). Both experiences really brought the feel to the gaming table, especially when it got dark in our forest in Virginia. We played all night and still talk about it to this day. That was 25 years ago. Where has the time gone? <Rolling Stones song comes to Thoth's mind. Here's a snippet: What a drag it is getting old. Ain't that the truth.

Where i don't count myself lucky, is that i have never played in a really cool gaming room designed for gaming only, as some of you have shared pictures of on this site, and others. Very cool. Very envious.

If you have pictures, then by all means, share them with the rest of us.

What share you?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 08-12-2009 at 10:41 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've played in a movie theater (was friends with the manager and assistant manager of the theater and the assistant gamed), sporting arenas (couple of conventions were held there), college classrooms.

Beyond that, not too unusual as far as gaming places go.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In the middle of the desert of Saudi Arabia, while there with the Marines for Desert Shield and Desert Storm back in 1991. It was the first time that I played D&D (2E).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oddest place, the basement of the UM Chemistry building. Coolest place was a hotel conference suite that still has set the bar for my ideal gaming environment.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Refereeing Traveller for 4 players aboard a Navy Guided Missile Cruiser in the Sonar Control Room, middle of the night, middle of the Pacific, 1989.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Etarnon View Post
    Refereeing Traveller for 4 players aboard a Navy Guided Missile Cruiser in the Sonar Control Room, middle of the night, middle of the Pacific, 1989.
    Our tax payers money at work!

Seriously though, that's a cool place to run/play a game!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    In the middle of the desert of Saudi Arabia, while there with the Marines for Desert Shield and Desert Storm back in 1991. It was the first time that I played D&D (2E).

I'd have to say the same, although it was 1E for me, I didn't get any 2E stuff until about the 93-95 time period after I got states side.
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All you military P&PG members are hero's in my book. Thanks for serving.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Coolest place I've gamed - in a cabin at a ski resort while on a ski trip in New Mexico. Oddest place - well, I haven't yet - but if Tamburlain has his wish, we may be gaming at an Irish pub in an artsy district of downtown Dallas. We'll see if that happens.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    off topic, but I can see the RP games being good for developing team building skills and military tactics.

never thought I'd play online, so that is pretty neat. always was the typical basement or rumpus room. but we had the best makeshift table. It was a chalkboard we found outside the school dumpster. So we could draw maps and stuff on the table. This was before the use of minis was a standard thing and grid maps were plentiful.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the back of a bakery when i lived in Pittsburgh.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I would've resigned for Desert Storm 2 ... er ... I mean Operation Iraqi Freedom, except for my family commitments. Going back in would not pay my bills anymore like they did when I was in my late teens, early twenties. I made $754/month back then, but I looked at it like ... I get paid to blow things up, shoot at bad guys, and jump out of airplanes ... and then come home and look great in my dress blues!
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    i used to play on base at camp pendleton in the back room of the bowling alley. i was able to set up a local monthly gaming group that i ended up having to quit because of a magtf(marine air ground task force ) i volunteered for that went to the persian gulf in '88. played some on board the helo carrier i was on but not really enough time to play much. too busy.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    old gamer i gotta agree the dress blues was the best uniform of all the military and still is. OoohRaaah! Semper Fi!
    Last edited by cpljarhead; 08-15-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here I was, thinking I'd win...

Back of an el Camino doing 95 down I-10... and a couple hours later I received a hummer in the same spot. I loved that road trip!!

In a vehicle making a mad dash cross-country in Northern Iraq back in 1991... we had 250 miles to go and nothing to do. No bad guys forecast, so we played.

I have to say that the Nonrate wins!! Etarnon!

Downloads
    Uploads
    On my porch "camping" with three friends and playing DnD 2e right after a nasty hurricane. It was hot, humid and we played using flashlights but we had so much fun we didn't care. Then we fell over in our sleeping bags mid game and woke up to do it again all the next day.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast