Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Opinions and Impressions
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions and Impressions

Downloads
    Uploads

Opinions and Impressions

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    What do you feel about the new path finder core book? how do you think it will change the way we play and what are you most looking foward to about it?? do you see any CON's that might show up to ruin game play? and if you do how could you remove them? Also is there anyone who is NOT looking foward to pathfinder? please share your opinions!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I was very pleased with the Beta version. I felt they dealt with issues that have always nagged me about the differing versions. My old gamer buddies like to make joke about someone being a sell-out in our gaming group by saying that they sold my ideas to paizo for many things they implemented i have used for many many years.

I'm not a real huge 4E fan but do see a place for it, in fact i am playing 4E in a couple of weeks with a great group of guys and gals, Tamerath on these boards being one of them. Pathfinder, or 3.75E as i like to refer to it as, is a solid system and i am very pleased with said system. It definitely is a great game, both in design and in innovation.

As far as the cons are concerned, they never concerned me. I just do what every other self-respecting DM does, i houserule. This being said, i really don't see any cons other than fans will have to push the sale to friends of this great product. Personally, i believe that 3.75 is better than 3.5 & 4E, but that is just this Lich's opinion.

I have said in the past that since 4E has been released, i will no longer collect DnD stuff, other than the classics and great modules (i can always adjust modules to whichever edition i prefer), but in the case of pathfinder, I broke my own rule and picked up said product.

Great thread, LordChicken. Thanks for posting. I look forward to hearing from other Pathfinder fans, their opinions, and their impressions. Heck, even throw us some detailed experiences in game.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, this should be a good thread for observations and first hand experiences of Pathfinder. Just as long as nobody tries to use this thread as a flame war.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have posted some more thoughts on Pathfinder if you are interested here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12236
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the Activity! What im glad is that the Pallys and Druid been beefed up(or in Druids case made easyer to play), i mean before I had to Bribe one of play players to play one! now I WANT to play them!!

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are enough changes in the rules that you really cannot assume you know how to play your character based on what you know from 3.5.

I was looking forward to trying Pathfinder, and today, I was not disappointed. Half-Orcs are so awesome!
    I played a Spellcaster class basically as Brick in the thick of melee. Granted, I was playing a Half-Orc Sorcerer wielding a greataxe, and I would not have been able to do as much as I did without the help of my companion healers. It was still pretty awesome to fill a role that would normally be reserved for a fighter.

I think Pathfinder was/will be a success.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The class tweaks are fantastic. Although Fighters are still technically the underdog when it comes to class balance, I think a feat every level and class only weapon/armor effectiveness go a long LONG way to making them more than damage sponges.

Monks give me that tingly excited feeling I got back when I first rolled one up in 2nd edition. It just feels like so much more fun. When you need a melee class to close and put pressure on a caster, the monk is your man!

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how it will factor in but casting defensively is now 15 + double the spells level. This hopefully makes casters fear being in melee a little more which would be nice.

The race tweaks are great too. Sure they seem more powerful but treasure control will still play a big role in deciding how high or low you want your game's power level. In all honesty, all these racial buffs do is make race a much more important choice for the all the right reasons.

The new skill list is slick. Simple as that.

My only real complaint is that too many spells are still 100% unless saving throws fail. I'm of the opinion that most all spells should have some sort of partial effect upon a successful save.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The +2 stat boost that the races get helps to make up for the 25 point build (if you use epic campaign). I think you'll end up with a character roughly equal to a 32 point build in standard 3.5

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm only a bit of the way through the book, but overall I like what I see so far. Fighters got the short end of the stick again, but I'm honestly not surprised. Fighters never get any love, alas!

The barbarian raging and its effect on skills has a plethora of potentially hysterical applications. I approve!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Pathfinder in one word awesome . I for one love it and intend on spending a great deal of my hard earned money to support them as they have redeemed my faith.

Once my World's Largest Dungeon is done Pathfinder will begin and the more I read the more I can't wait to see my player's reaction.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    I'm only a bit of the way through the book, but overall I like what I see so far. Fighters got the short end of the stick again, but I'm honestly not surprised. Fighters never get any love, alas!
    How would you fix them then? I think they got some pretty damn nice boosts here. Plus, fighters have always been about being useful in the widest number of possible scenarios. Sure other class features are nastier but their often situational. A fighter hits you anytime and you know you got messed up!

* 21 feats, 22 as a human. Customizeable class features? Yes please!

* +5 Saves vs. Fear Not too shabby!

* -4 Armor Check Penalty, +4 Max Dex Penalty. This means wearing Plate Mail with only a -2 (-1 masterwork or magic; 0 with mithril) armor check penalty, and a whopping +5 Max Dex (higher with mithril I think).

* +4, +3, +2, and +1 to hit and dmg as well as CMB and CMD with four different groups of weapons. Hell yes!

* DR 5 with no damage type bypass.

* Auto-confirmed crits with a weapon of their choice, as well as a +1 crit multiplier. Freakin' Auto-confirmed!

* Exclusive access to some very useful feats like Weapon Specialization, Critical Mastery, and Greater Weapon Focus.

* The ability to tweak their feat list every four levels to keep themselves tip top. So, you took toughness early on but find yourself with plenty of HP now? Replace it!

Keep in mind all their class abilities stack with other bonuses of their kind. The new fighter can turn even the most basic weapon into a nasty tool of death.

Sure they need a solid weapon/armor kit to really shine but when I want my +5 Vorpal Intelligent Sword of Demon Slaying I can think of only one class I want behind the swing.
    Last edited by CEBedford; 08-17-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CEBedford View Post
    Sure they need a solid weapon/armor kit to really shine but when I want my +5 Vorpal Intelligent Sword of Demon Slaying I can think of only one class I want behind the swing.
    Me too. A paladin.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Me too. A paladin.
    Haha. Bonded weapon is cool but the raw hit/dmg bonuses do not stack higher than five like the Fighter's bonuses. For the best hit, crit, and damage with a melee weapon the new fighter is sick.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CEBedford View Post
    Haha. Bonded weapon is cool but the raw hit/dmg bonuses do not stack higher than five like the Fighter's bonuses. For the best hit, crit, and damage with a melee weapon the new fighter is sick.
    Well, if we're talking about a demon-slaying weapon, I assumed we'd be fighting demons. If that is the case, the Paladin's smite is going to WAAAYY outpace anything the fighter can put out. With his smite versus outsiders, he's going to get his charisma modifier as a bonus to hit and doublehis level to damage. So, at level twenty, the typical paladin will probably have at least +10 charisma modifier, which means that he is going to have +10 to hit, and +40 to damage on every swing he makes versus that demon. The bonded weapon thing is secondary, but yeah that is going to add more to the weapon as well, particularly when he starts throwing keen, holy and axiomatic on it as well.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Well, if we're talking about a demon-slaying weapon, I assumed we'd be fighting demons. If that is the case, the Paladin's smite is going to WAAAYY outpace anything the fighter can put out. With his smite versus outsiders, he's going to get his charisma modifier as a bonus to hit and doublehis level to damage. So, at level twenty, the typical paladin will probably have at least +10 charisma modifier, which means that he is going to have +10 to hit, and +40 to damage on every swing he makes versus that demon. The bonded weapon thing is secondary, but yeah that is going to add more to the weapon as well, particularly when he starts throwing keen, holy and axiomatic on it as well.
    Maybe but at least the fighter's bonuses aren't limited use per day. When I'm knee deep in demons I want no nonsense punishment time and time again! Of course your paladin is welcome to join me!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast