Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Pathfinder RPG (Final Rules)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Sounds even better now. Can't wait! Thanks Farcaster for the preview.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The printed copies for this book have already sold out, and the second print has been ordered, and will be out in November. If you haven't ordered it yet, you can only get a hard copy at Gen Con until the second printing comes out.

PDF for the win!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom Crow View Post
    The printed copies for this book have already sold out, and the second print has been ordered, and will be out in November. If you haven't ordered it yet, you can only get a hard copy at Gen Con until the second printing comes out.

PDF for the win!
    I think they meant sold out as in all copies (beyond their pre-orders and GenCon stock) have been sent to the distributors who will then filter them to various book dealers. While it might be hard to get soon after, I wouldn't be surprised to find copies in Barnes and Noble or Amazon for example.

Some retailers don't do pre-order so you'll likely still see some on or around release day.

However with a November date for the 2nd print run it's probably a good idea to buy on or near the 13th if you intend on getting it sooner.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Farcaster,

I am glad you like the system. I know the real test will be GenCon when they do character conversion for Pathfinder Society. I think it will be a blast, so anyone going to genCon and you have the tiem come check out PFS to play the new game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CEBedford View Post
    I think they meant sold out as in all copies (beyond their pre-orders and GenCon stock) have been sent to the distributors who will then filter them to various book dealers. While it might be hard to get soon after, I wouldn't be surprised to find copies in Barnes and Noble or Amazon for example.

Some retailers don't do pre-order so you'll likely still see some on or around release day.

However with a November date for the 2nd print run it's probably a good idea to buy on or near the 13th if you intend on getting it sooner.
    Honestly, I wouldn't count on the book trade market having copies (that would include Amazon). They have far more orders than I was able to send them copies. Check your FLGS. Check your FLGS. CHECK YOUR FLGS!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm crazy excited about PF, it releases the day before my birthday as well. Thanks for the awesome birthday present Paizo. Now if only I can talk my PCs in to switching to the new and improved system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PaizoChris View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't count on the book trade market having copies (that would include Amazon). They have far more orders than I was able to send them copies. Check your FLGS. Check your FLGS. CHECK YOUR FLGS!
    Yeah sorry, I meant to specify checking the independent sellers you find on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble websites.

There's also NobleKnight.com who is a great seller and doesn't do pre-orders. I highly recommend going to them if you're one of those people who don't have a FLGS.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Until then, you'll need to break out your old 3.5 edition monster manuals or use the monsters in the d20 SRD. You can download the SRD for free over at wizards.com, or for an easy to use online version, check out the Hypertext d20 SRD online at d20srd.org.

Or the excellent 3.5 SRD Revised from CMG in PDF format. All the SRD creatures are included in two separate PDFs, one in standard format and one in Stat Block format. Gold Pick, very popular and currently on sale. Great Reviews since 2004!

Oh, yes. Great review here, too.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CEBedford View Post
    I think in your case you've never played with a DM who excells at high level gameplay. The challenge and sense of accomplishment should never decline.

I still prefer to start at low level but high level is just as much fun.
    I wouldn't say that, as I can think of two DMs I played with, they struggled at lower-levels, but did fairly decent at higher levels. I have a quirk in real life, that I get gung ho and passionate about something and then lose interest once I reach a point where I feel proficient or better than proficient, but not necessarily the best. For instance, there was a stretch of about 3 years in which I played golf 1 to 2 times a week, and spent one day a week working on my swing at the driving range. I got to the point I was shooting in the low 80s consistently no matter where I played and was on the cusp of breaking 80. That was 6 years, and I have only played maybe once a year since, usually on Father's Day with my step-dad. I lost interest in wanting to play, even though I kept improving. This is just an example, but it has happened more times than I care to admit. The same holds true for me as a player with my characters, once they get to the cusp of becoming truly skilled, I lose interest in the character. I've always wondered how gaming has been able to keep my interest for well nigh on 20 years, when nothing else lasts for more than a couple/few years at best.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just ordered it. I may never use it, but I wish to support the effort.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am the creator and primary maintainer of http://www.d20pfsrd.com and I think we are the first SRD to be basically fully updated to the final rules. There are a couple other SRD sites out there but none anywhere near as complete or up-to-date as this one. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jreyst View Post
    I am the creator and primary maintainer of http://www.d20pfsrd.com and I think we are the first SRD to be basically fully updated to the final rules. There are a couple other SRD sites out there but none anywhere near as complete or up-to-date as this one. Check it out and let me know what you think!
    Hey jreyst, you may want to check out the official Paizo PRD: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ My sources indicate that *it* just *might* be the most up to date and accurate.
    Last edited by PaizoChris; 08-20-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey jreyst, you may want to check out the official Paizo PRD: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ My sources indicate that *it* just *might* be the most up to date and accurate.
    Chris-

First am I to assume by your name you are a Paizo employee?

Edit: I read back in the forums and see that yes, you are an employee it appears. Would you be Chris Self? Paizo Sales Manager? Nice to meet you Chris!

Yes, of course, I neglected to mention the PRD because I was referring to SRD sites, and more specifically, fan-made/maintained SRD sites. As for being the most up to date and accurate, I can list at least a half dozen places where my site was updated with errata before the PRD was

I can also list other virtues of my SRD:

1) It's not on the same servers as the Paizo messageboards so it doesn't get hosed whenever the messageboards or Paizo.com have a lot of traffic, not to mention my site is pretty darned fast overall. Really, try it out and see if you notice a difference.

2) My site has a built-in Google-powered search function. The PRD does not have any search function.

3) My site has monsters from the Preview Bestiary, Bonus Bestiary, and some converted monsters from originally 3.5 formatted adventure paths.

4) My site has a larger, sans serif font, which is easier to read.

5) In general, I think my site is easier to navigate. I emulated the layout of d20srd.org so its already familiar to many people.

6) My site is open to edits and being maintained by anyone who wants to help and there are over a dozen people regularly contributing updates and edits to the site.

7) My site hosts character sheets and other fan-oriented downloads like wallpapers etc.

8) My site has the optional Traits Paizo released.

9) My site makes use of the Community Use art package and includes the iconic characters on the class pages as well as other open art content throughout. The PRD has no art at all.

10) I provide a "Print this Page" function that generates a printer friendly page for all pages.

11) This one may be arguable if it is a benefit or not but I rearranged some content into a more logical order and moved some things around to where they seemed to make more sense.

12) My site takes advantage of Google Gadgets and the ability to embed Google Documents within pages for pages like the Skills page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/Home/skills). This can provide many advanced features such as the ability to edit tables in-line, on the page (collaborators) and for viewers to filter results live, to restrict their view to smaller sets of information. In addition, I provide links to multi-format versions of table data, in case other sites would like to scrape the data for things such as monster advancers, character generators, etc.

Advantages of the PRD

1) Its probably, usually, going to be current, or as current as Ross can keep it. I would argue that mine is probably very close to as quickly updated as the PRD.

2) It has the expandable menu system on the left. Mine could have the same thing in 2 seconds if I changed themes in the Google Site, but I chose not to in favor of maintaining the style of d20srd.org.

3) It is completely linked correctly. Mine is in the process of being re-linked so that all links remain internal (except for those that are supposed to go off-site of course). Mine certainly has a way to go but I have about a dozen registered collaborators (some who contribute much more than others of course) and two contributors who have advanced programming backgrounds who are working on automating much of the work. One of them just yesterday (or the day before) completely automated importing over 1000 pages. He wrote it and let it run and over night it imported and formatted over 1000 spell pages. Not too shabby

Beyond that I can't think of any advantages the PRD offers. It has a couple of distinct downers too.

1) Font. The font is horrible. Its small and not monitor-friendly.

2) Page background. Its hard to read the small font on that background.

3) Organization. There are some really strange organizational bits going on there. However, that's probably more to do with the structure of the book than an issue with the site.

Anyway, I hope you take all of that in the spirit of good-natured competition. I spent a lot of time working on this site and I get a good deal of traffic (around 1000 visitors per day, or around 500 unique visitors per day). I'd hate to see all that disappear now that the PRD exists. I'm happy to see that since the PRD became available traffic to my site has not dropped at all, and has in fact, gone up. I'm sure there will be an effect eventually but once people start noticing all of the other features of my site I think they'll be hooked.

Wow that was a lot of typing lol.

Take care!

John
    Last edited by jreyst; 08-20-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Chris,

Looks like the PRD is pretty dang thorough, and I rather like that it follows a similar flow as the book itself. I'd agree though that it does need a search feature.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the review Farcaster. My copy has shipped!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast