Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Istao game

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Winter Scheduling Problems

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    My weekend outlook for the remainder of winter has turned very poor. I am currently free only on the following days:

• this Saturday, February 13th
    • Friday, February 19th
    • Friday, February 26th
    • Saturday, February 27th
    • Sunday, February 28th
    • Friday, March 5th
    • Sunday, March 7th

I should have my free time back (particularly Saturdays) right around the beginning of spring, from Friday, March 19th, onwards, except for the first weekend in April.

Now, I know that Palpatim is not free on Sundays, that Feantari is not free on the alternating Saturdays that I happen to be currently free, and that both Palpatim and Feantari might be free on some Fridays, but in general are not.

However, it doesn't hurt to ask once again: which of the above days are you free? If Blydden, Feantari, and Palpatim are all free at once, we'll continue where we left off on the Quest.

On days when two out of the three of you are free, I will consider resuming Mission adventures, or if there is any interest, possibly conducting some experimental sessions. I would like to regain some momentum, because no matter how rough these starting sessions are, I do have a long-term commitment to chat gaming.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 02-12-2010 at 05:14 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am free the following days, and I could maybe be free this Saturday, but I'd need to check with my SO.
    • Friday, February 19th
    • Friday, February 26th

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    which of the above days are you free?
    I'm free:

• this Saturday, February 13th
    • Friday, February 26th

I may possibly be free:

• Friday, February 19th, with one or two 30-minute interruptions
    • Friday, March 5th

And I'm interested in any game that you're running, Umiushi, quest, mission, or other.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    • this Saturday, February 13th - Free
    • Friday, February 19th - Free
    • Friday, February 26th - Free
    • Saturday, February 27th - Free
    • Sunday, February 28th - Possibly Free
    • Friday, March 5th - Free
    • Sunday, March 7th - Possibly Free

And like Palpatim, I will stick with you through quest, mission, or experiment till the bitter end. (Altho I would prefer the first two.)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Let's make Friday, February 19th a Quest or Mission Game, and Saturday, February 27th a Quest Game.

If Feantari turns out to be free, we can get together tomorrow for another Quest Game. If not, I'll either run the mission game or something else.

Even though some of you are maintaining three distinct characters in my games, they are all level 1 characters and operate in a level 1 environment. That's good training for me, because it's helping me get an essential grounding in the core mechanics. However, I have to acknowledge that you might have an interest in exploring outward and seeing what some of the further boundaries are, either of 4e D&D, or of role-playing in the Pen and Paper environment. Here are some examples of how this might be accomplished:

• 4e D&D with characters in the high heroic tier
    • 4e D&D with characters in the low paragon tier
    • 4e D&D with a pre-generated character roster
    • 4e D&D taking place elsewhere in or near Aucothia
    • 4e D&D taking place on Istao, but in a different region
    • 4e D&D taking place in the Bright Kingdom of the Feywild (Unquiet Lands setting)
    • 4e D&D taking place in Aucothia or Istao, but significantly in the past
    • 4e D&D taking place elsewhere in the Unquiet Lands
    • 4e D&D in a different milieu than the Unquiet Lands
      • Japanese Warring States era (golden age of the samurai and ninja)
      • Japanese Meiji era (golden age of martial arts schools)
      • Western advanced industrial, between the World Wars (inspired by a conversation with Blydden, one evening)
      • Future-fantasy

• 4e D&D modified to support non-tactical, chat-only play
    • Classic Traveller

By milieu, I mean social and metaphysical environment. Istao and Aucothia are two aspects of fairly typical, quasi-medieval, European swords-and-sorcery settings. There are other ways to play D&D. Advanced technology and differing cultures are only two examples.

I welcome your input on the above, or anything else you would care to add. I appreciate any sentiments to the effect that "it would be cool to play a game where XYZ pertains" and will take note of them, but make no guarantees that I will be able or willing to implement them.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    I don't believe this, but I seem to have come down with a fever. I think I'll still be around tomorrow at 3:30, but I'll have to see how I'm doing then.

Feantari, if you've made a special effort to show up, I'll also make an effort to conduct the game. On other hand, if your schedule is still up in the air, I suggest you don't worry about the session.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 02-13-2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ooh I inspired you? I feel so special!

If you need guns for that setting, I can make some.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still a little feverish, but doing a lot better than yesterday. I can do almost anything except move, eat, or drink, now! So, barring a relapse, I'll be up for this afternoon's gaming session.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're up for it, I'll be there. Hope you feel better, in any case. Send me the campaign file whenever you're ready. --T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey hey looks like I have plans already for today.

As for your other ideas, other than playing a pregened character any of those sound fine to me (maybe I could warm up to the idea, but it just sounds weird to me). These are the ones that piqued my interest. I like the idea of something like the last one here with higher level characters or some such, and the significant past of the unquiet lands sounds like a pretty interesting time in the setting.

• 4e D&D taking place in the Bright Kingdom of the Feywild (Unquiet Lands setting)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    If you're up for it, I'll be there. Hope you feel better, in any case. Send me the campaign file whenever you're ready. --T
    I don't have a suitable campaign file ready for the Mission Adventure. If we do that, I think we'll either handle it in Chat, or with just the basic graphing functions of Maptool.

Quote Originally Posted by Feantari View Post
    Hey hey looks like I have plans already for today.

As for your other ideas, other than playing a pregened character any of those sound fine to me (maybe I could warm up to the idea, but it just sounds weird to me). These are the ones that piqued my interest. I like the idea of something like the last one here with higher level characters or some such, and the significant past of the unquiet lands sounds like a pretty interesting time in the setting.

Just as well that you made plans. I'm discovering that my ability to sit upright seems to be tied to a time limit of some sort. Hopefully I can resolve that by this afternoon.

Thank you for getting back to me on the details.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    Here are some examples of how this might be accomplished:

• 4e D&D with a pre-generated character roster
    • 4e D&D taking place elsewhere in or near Aucothia
    • 4e D&D taking place on Istao, but in a different region
    • 4e D&D taking place elsewhere in the Unquiet Lands
      • Japanese Warring States era (golden age of the samurai and ninja)
      • Japanese Meiji era (golden age of martial arts schools)
      • Western advanced industrial, between the World Wars (inspired by a conversation with Blydden, one evening)
      • Future-fantasy

• 4e D&D modified to support non-tactical, chat-only play
    • Classic Traveller

By milieu, I mean social and metaphysical environment. Istao and Aucothia are two aspects of fairly typical, quasi-medieval, European swords-and-sorcery settings. There are other ways to play D&D. Advanced technology and differing cultures are only two examples.

I welcome your input on the above, or anything else you would care to add. I appreciate any sentiments to the effect that "it would be cool to play a game where XYZ pertains" and will take note of them, but make no guarantees that I will be able or willing to implement them.
    The two things I enjoy about gaming in general, be it video gaming or D&D, are 1) the sense of immersion into a new and interesting setting; and 2) the sense of competence and excitement that comes from inhabiting a role possessing powers greater than those of normal humans. For example, sports games do nothing for me because they aren't particularly exotic in either sense. Very difficult games (e.g., Ninja Gaiden) don't do anything for me because I can't enjoy the sense of competence because I'm too busy dying all the time.

D&D adds a third element that I enjoy as much as the other two: the ability to respond creatively to situations, rather than being faced with systemic limitations. Even so-called "sandbox" games limit players with situations like, "I'm sorry, we didn't code that wall to be destructable, so you can't shoot through it."

Several items on your list above intrigue me, but I'd have to say playing at higher levels is near the top of the list (see above re: competence & powers). Changing settings would be less interesting to me, since I have explored fantasy & science-fiction settings in reading, films & video games for so long that it's difficult to engage my enthusiasm via setting alone (one of the reasons Avatar left me so cold). That said, a future fantasy setting could be interesting, since I haven't experienced many examples of that in the past.

In the end, though, I really enjoy gaming with a committed group like you've put together here, and even if the setting is more or less "traditional," there are enough other elements to keep me interested and engaged for long periods of time.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought I had food poisoning, but my throat's starting to itch. However, I can truly say I have regained most of my energy today, so I see no reason to expect that I won't be able to run something on February 19th even if this turns out to be some kind of virus. Thank you all for your understanding. If Palpatim is free on that day, we will run continue the Quest game, and if not, we will commence the next part of the Mission.

Based on your input and the brief discussion we had in Chat yesterday, it seems that the best course will be to continue with the Mission/Quest format for now. However, I will be working on developing one or two one-shot higher-level scenarios for the intermediate future, with settings based on the guidance I have received from the three of you.

In regards to pre-generated characters, I won't be foisting them off on any of you, but I think I will develop a small roster of them to avoid the otherwise-inevitable delays we experience when we allow pick-up players to join our group. On the other hand, if you would prefer simply to reject pick-up players, we can discuss that too.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 02-15-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to be available today, if we're still having the game tonight? Umiushi, are you fully recovered now?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, so I'm not seeing this anywhere... when do we start today? I'll be at work still if it is the standard 3:30 time. Should be available by... 5pm PST or so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am so happy you are feeling better Umiushi.

My thought is that if Feantari can't make the 3:30 PST time, we could do the mission session until she gets back at 5-ish PST.
    Last edited by Blydden; 02-19-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast