Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Istao game

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    not really. I have a stupid conference I have to go to.

This sat or sun would be best. Possibly friday afternoon.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are we still on for this Saturday, and if so what version are we going to be running?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Feantari View Post
    Are we still on for this Saturday, and if so what version are we going to be running?
    Yes, we are on for this Saturday. The version is still 1.3.b56. See you then.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be there with virtual bells on. Got the house to myself tonight, so hopefully no interruptions from meddling kids or spouses.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blydden, Feantari, Palpatim, and Yukonhorror took part in and completed the second Mission of "The Wolf that Howled Under a Moonless Sky." Thanks again to Yukonhorror for hosting the server.

To summarize what happened after retrieving Vonim's body:

Vonim's spellbook doubled as his journal. It confirms the party's deduction that he was working for the Barony of Mollu and using the forced labor of the hinzels to mine and smelt that ore. The powder extracted from the ore can be used as a reagent to shield ritualists from being targeted by enemy counter-rituals. The disturbance Sada and Mera experienced while conducting the previous day's ritual can now be explained by the nearby presence of this substance. Unfortunately, the journal states that Vonim's original spellbook with his initial findings was already sent back to the Barony, and reveals that there is a group of thaumaturges actively employed by the Baron.

Taking what powder you could carry, along with a sample of the ore, you rejoined the troop after they fought the enemy. Despite the ore's interference, the ritual was apparently successful in its effects, and the Barony's forces were reduced and scattered. The Duchy won the day, easily.

However, messengers brought news that ships flying the Barony's colors have engaged the forces of Calanque in a naval battle. Thus distracted, the Duchy cannot enforce its control over the northern route between Elanglond and Mollu. With this troublesome information, the party hurriedly returns to the Blein farmstead to meet with Prochin and Hemen once more.

The next chat remains unscheduled. I will be too occupied to schedule another chat for the remainder of this month. There is a chance I will be able to hold one on December 5th, but the more likely date is December 19th.

Depending on player interest and attendance, the next adventure may start the first Quest. If so, Quest characters will be sent to the Tirsibon Woods, south of Elanglond, to seek aid in the struggle against Mollu. Otherwise, we will commence the third Mission, involving the reinforcement of the Peregrin Thaumaturgical Company that guards the northern route.

From this point on, it will no longer be possible to trade the same character between Quests and Missions, so if you are able to participate in the next chat, please have the appropriate character ready. In other words, if you have a specific Quest character in mind, now's the time to generate a throw-away Mission character, if you don't already have one. Remember that it's much easier to swap out Mission characters than Quest characters and your accumulated experience points apply to whatever character you're using.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since my character weren't on the previous list of characters Umi posted I wanted to post them as an FYI so people know what we will have.

Quest character: Daknia, razorclaw shifter aerialist rogue

Mission character: Mera, human malediction invoker

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Clarification concerning XP for Quest PCs

In different posts, I've said variously that Quest Characters enjoy "a cut" of XP from Mission Characters, and that Quest Characters receive the full XP that Mission Characters earn. Although nobody has brought up this contradiction yet, I see it as a future source of confusion, so I will explain here:

In the beginning, Quest Characters receive a percentage of XP that Mission Characters earn. There is a specific event in the Quest campaign that will allow Quest Characters to receive a 100% percent share of their Mission Characters' XP. Perhaps simply saying that will be enough to inspire Quest Characters to seek this event out. However, it will be a little while in the context of the Quest Campaign before you learn the details, so please be patient.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 11-21-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If we choose to use the characters we've been playing as mission characters for the quest, and roll up new mission characters, is it safe to assume the characters begin the quest with the XP they earned previously on missions?

Also, I interpret your description to mean the quest characters will receive the value of the XP earned by mission characters, not that the mission characters will have earned XP stripped and transferred to quest characters? (In other words, we're not using the mission characters for XP "farming," a la WoW gold farming?)

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    If we choose to use the characters we've been playing as mission characters for the quest, and roll up new mission characters, is it safe to assume the characters begin the quest with the XP they earned previously on missions?

Also, I interpret your description to mean the quest characters will receive the value of the XP earned by mission characters, not that the mission characters will have earned XP stripped and transferred to quest characters? (In other words, we're not using the mission characters for XP "farming," a la WoW gold farming?)

--T
    Yes, if take your character you've been playing missions with up to now and start the quest with him or her, that character doesn't lose any XP.

This leads to the special case of what happens when you generate a replacement Mission Character. In this situation, the new Mission Character gets a percentage of the Mission-turned-Quest Character's XP.

That way, people with a Mission Character and a Quest Character who have gone on the same adventures will have the same summed XP between their two characters, regardless of the order of assignment.

Finally, the answer to your second question is also yes; at no point is XP going to be lost or transferred. Mission Characters keep their XP, and Quest Characters gain bonuses based on what was earned.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Next Chat Scheduled; also Mission Character Death

Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    There is a chance I will be able to hold one on December 5th, but the more likely date is December 19th.
    There will be no chat game on December 5th. The next chat will be held on December 19th.

You have more time to consider whether we continue the mission or start the quest. I would encourage anyone who is interested and hasn't already done so to generate their second character.

Character Deaths
    I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but I was planning to let Mission Characters die more easily than Quest Characters.

• Quest Characters will use the character death rules applicable to the Aucothian Campaign.
    • Mission Characters may choose one of two options.
      • 1) Mission Characters may "buy into" the Aucothian character death rules for a fraction of the total experience points earned for all Missions the player participated in. The amount is deducted each time the rules are applied, subject to some discretion on the part of the DM. Note that because Mission Characters contribute to Quest Characters' experience points, choosing this option will indirectly affect your Quest Character's experience point total, too.
      • 2) Otherwise, a Mission Character dies according the standard published rules and conditions.
      • The decision as to which method to use may be done at the time of death or in advance.
    • Both types of characters may make use of the mortal wound rules presented for the Aucothian Campaign.

I'm considering a percentage penalty equal to 4000 divided by the sigma of the reward for a Complexity 1 skill challenge for each of the character's levels. That would be 40% at first level, and about 18% at second level, 11% at third level, 8% at fourth level, and so on.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Requesting Head Count for Saturday's Chat

If you think you can attend the Romance of a Fallen Country chat game on Saturday, December 19th, at 3:30 pm PST, please let me know. I would prefer to hear from you before Wednesday.

Also, now is the time to consider whether to continue the first Mission, or begin the Quest. If there is no resolution towards continuing the Mission by Wednesday, we will be starting the Quest.

The Quest characters that I have confirmed are as follows:
    Blydden - Blydden, half-elf warlock
    Feantari - Daknia, razorclaw shifter rogue
    Palpatim - Sada, human wizard

If you know of anyone else interested in participating, I will need to have their proposed character sheet and at least a rough summary of their character's background in hand by Wednesday. By in hand, I mean in a state where I can easily have the complete file accessible from my computer's hard drive.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I plan on attending. I still haven't found time to roll up a mission character, so I've been keeping my fingers crossed that this will be a quest game.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be there... probably wishing I had more con. :-P
    Last edited by Feantari; 12-13-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be attending.

And don't worry Feantari. Warlocks have got to be the most durable casters out there. I'll protect you! (When I feel like it that is har har)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like everyone's accounted for. I'll see you Saturday! We will be starting the Quest.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast