Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Istao game

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have had experience with large parties. No fun. 6 is my limit. Never played with 4, and 4 may be interesting. Just wanted to make sure we had more than 2.

As for maptools/Qman, if you can't find a time with him, I might be able to get most of your questions. Just not all. Because I have had experience with it, but I am not an expert. I know enough to run a smooth game, but not enough to have all of the bells and whistles.

As for saturday, before midnight CST. I normally go to bed at 10 or 10:30, but I don't mind staying up late for a game. But not too late.

but what I was thinking was I could meet with some of the players to go over the basics of maptools (how to roll dice, log on, etc...).

Big question for Umi: what version of maptools are you using. Everybody has to have the same version to avoid logging on issues.

Also, piece of advice for Umi. Maybe you can invite Qman to our first game session to have him help you work things through. Invite him in as a "DM" so he can help when you get stuck with something.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought it would be a good idea to post up schedules (we may have already done that, but my schedule is different now).

Friday: doesn't work because of smallville and medium tv watching with the wife
    Sat: all day available
    Sun: available from noon - 7 pm.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My Saturday & Sunday availability will vary based on family commitments, but Friday evening until midnight Central time, or Saturday from 4PM CT - midnight works for me.

I can nearly always do Sunday mornings until about 11AM, but the rest of Sunday is pretty much out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whee. Ok getting caught up. The particular weekend in question my availability is a little different than normal, but I'll try to keep things separate.

Weekend of the 16th
    I'm going home for a funeral so I will have various family obligations that are not entirely scheduled at this point. Friday I have planned to meet up with some friends, but Saturday after 4est or so I could probably make some time for some D&D, and I could go as late as we like (in fact starting later is probably better). Sunday I will be flying home and wouldn't be available until after 6pm PST.

Weekends in general
    Friday nights work, any time Saturday works, and anytime after 1pm PST on Sunday works, but I do often travel on Sundays.

I'll put the finishing touches on my characters using the info above and get those to you this weekend Umi. As far as party size 4 is fine with me. I'm ok with anything between 3 and 6 generally.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that reminds me. I may update my warden considering the addition of plate armor.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Based on player feedback, I'm comfortable with keeping this at four players for now. Six will be the session maximum for player characters, though if my plan works out, there may be a pool of more than six players in the campaign, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    I assume we'll devote some time during the first session to simply learning the interface of whatever interactive tool we are using? I've launched maptools and watched the tutorial once, but that's about it.
    We will be using MapTool in conjunction with the chat on Pen and Paper Games. The first session will definitely be a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    As for maptools/Qman, if you can't find a time with him, I might be able to get most of your questions. Just not all. Because I have had experience with it, but I am not an expert. I know enough to run a smooth game, but not enough to have all of the bells and whistles.

As for saturday, before midnight CST. I normally go to bed at 10 or 10:30, but I don't mind staying up late for a game. But not too late.

but what I was thinking was I could meet with some of the players to go over the basics of maptools (how to roll dice, log on, etc...).

Big question for Umi: what version of maptools are you using. Everybody has to have the same version to avoid logging on issues.

Also, piece of advice for Umi. Maybe you can invite Qman to our first game session to have him help you work things through. Invite him in as a "DM" so he can help when you get stuck with something.
    I'm trying to find a time to meet with Qman this weekend. After we finalize the time to meet on Saturday, I'll let him know so he might be able to show up too.

What is a good time for you on Saturday? My proposal is 3:30 pm Pacific Daylight Time.

My version of MapTool is 1.3.b56.

Based on your advice, I extended an invitation to Qman to attend our sessions.

In terms of scheduling nothing is perfect, unsurprisingly, but Saturday looks like a best-fit. So Saturday will be the Quest game, starting on October 24. Next Friday the 16th, we'll see if we can get through one Mission encounter.

In other words, bring any character you want to Friday's game. Then bring your long-term character to the following Saturday's game. On Saturdays that we have a chat game, you'll be part of a traditional party, sticking together throughout an adventure that I will call a Quest (not to be confused with the Minor or Major Quest experience awards). On other days that we have a chat game, you'll be taking part in individual encounters or maybe short adventures that I will call Missions. Your Quest character has an experience point total equal to all Quests and all Missions you've participated in as a player. Your Mission character(s) have an experience point total equal gathered from all Missions you've participated in as a player. I may use the level-balancing system from the Dungeon Master's Guide 2 to support new players, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Clarifications: I don't know how often I'll hold these chat games, especially during the next two months while I'm busy, so don't expect this to be every week, at least for now. Also, when I say "bring your character" I still expect to be fully informed of your character, including their background, at least 72 hours ahead of the actual game date, and preferably as soon as possible.

Since it looks like we're down to two players for the 16th game, I may go ahead and advertise it. I'll consider this over the next 40 hours or so; please feel free to provide your input while I do so.

that reminds me. I may update my warden considering the addition of plate armor.
    This is a good point to include a reminder that the Standard Adventurer's Kit was modified in my game notes, so please reflect that, or at least send me a note if you've used some character builder that doesn't support such changes.

It's come to my attention that the popular character builder may only differentiate ritual components based on ritual type. In both the Aucothian and Istaoan campaigns, components are purchased for the specific ritual in question unless I rule otherwise on a case-by-case basis. I will formalize this in another thread later.

My next post in this thread will include any pertinent updates to the situation, and will list the race and class of all characters whose stats I've received so far that meet the basic requirements for inclusion.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't mind volunteering this weekend to go over some maptools basics for the other players. What do you guys/gals/neuters think?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm down with that. --T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    one volunteer is good enough. What is a good time tomorrow?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    one volunteer is good enough. What is a good time tomorrow?
    Will 3:30 PDT work?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That time works for me. I assume we just logon to P&P and go to the "chat" area there to start out with? I'm also running maptool 1.3b56.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    everybody has to have the same version of maptools, so will stick with what umi is using. 3:30 pm PDT works for me.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be in the chat room at 3:30 PDT this Saturday, and, unless someone has an alternate suggestion, 3:30 PDT next Friday.

So far I have the following player character statistics:
    Mission Characters

• Deva Avenger

Quest Characters

• Half-elf Warlock
    • Dragonborn Warden
    • Deva Wizard

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think things went well.

@umi: remind me to setup things on Friday as I may forget.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I think they did. Thank you for your help and instruction, Yukonhorror.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast