Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Istao game

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Indefinite Hiatus

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    With the attrition of the last of my original players, I am suspending my two Istao games, the Mission Adventures and Romance of a Fallen Country. Although I would have preferred to continue them, I am pleased that I was able to complete one adventure in each story.

The reason I choose to say hiatus is because there is no reason to cancel. The campaigns themselves are not yet overly tied to the careers of the players, though it's fair to say that everyone who's played in them has had a hand in shaping them. There's no reason to suppose they might not come back one day.

In the meantime, I'll focus my attention on The Autumn Knight adventure, and to a lesser extent, The Order of the Green Lion encounters. After that, I may come up with something new, as well.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indefinite" Meant "Short," this Time

Palpatim, one of the original Istao players, has returned for Chat games. Now that there's some continuity again, the games are back.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The second adventure of Romance of a Fallen Country, "Addadun, Above and Below," will have its first session Saturday, October 22nd, at 3:30 pm PDT. I will not be using Maptool for this gaming session.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Istao Updates

Here is a dual-update for the Mission Adventures and Romance of a Fallen Country

Istao Mission Adventures

• Disciple of Yawgmoth, playing Liam
      • 225 XP
    • Palpatim, playing Ohr
      • 920 XP
      • Treasure: 60 sceatas, a potion of healing, and two greatspears

Romance of a Fallen Country

• Disciple of Yawgmoth, playing Mikal
      • Mikal starts at Level 2
      • 465 XP (375 XP + 90 XP Mission Bonus)
    • Palpatim, playing Sada
      • 1643 XP (1275 XP + 368 XP Mission Bonus)
      • Treasure: 4313 stycas, 125 sceatas, Vonim's Chronicle, a potion of healing, a primitive amulet (worth 20 sceatas), a primitive crystal amulet (worth 100 sceatas), 3 extra days of trail rations, a baked clay brick from the clearing in Serpent's Thicket

In both games, an Extended Rest will have been taken before the next session begins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Addadun Above and Below, second session

What is Addadun?
    Addadun is an elfin enclave in the marshy lands at the mouth of the Sloethorn River on the eastern coast of Istao. It is ruled by a triumvirate consisting of Hagan the Lord Mayor, Jendee the Lord Magister, and Rynoi the Outside Lord. Its inhabitants are not especially xenophobic, but they are fairly reclusive. Its primary trade economy involves smuggling with the human communities living on the small, eastern coastal islands. Addadun is built on a hill. The elves dwell in a crater at the top of the hill and they share the village with mudwugs, an amphibian race that lives in the caverns carved out by the Sloethorn River as it flows under the hill.

The Story So Far
    In response to frequent brigandage conducted by the dominions of Canbir and Mollu against the village of Elanglond, the Duchy of Calanque has gone to war with both countries. Mollu has fallen to an onslaught of undead unleashed by Calanque's "Black Trident Plan," and refugees from the now-haunted land are steadily reaching Addadun's territory.

Prochin Blein, Captain of the Elanglond Thaumaturgical Company, sent a small group, among them the deva wizard Sada, to the elves of Addadun living in the Tirsibon Woods to negotiate the safe passage of the inhabitants of Elanglond should the village fall. Sada discovered that the elven outpost was abandoned in response to the first appearance of goblins in two generations. Lumiast Eskudo, a traveler heading towards Canbirton, told Sada that agents from the legendary Kingdom of Tyaasi performed a ritual to awaken the goblins sleeping under the forest. He took part in the ritual with the intent to spy on them. They discovered his treachery, but not before he escaped and warned away the elves.

Following Lumiast's advice, Sada and her companions found the goblins' lair and slew their king. Sada then resumed her quest, deciding now to continue to travel to the elves' home. Arriving in Addadun by herself, she met Mikal, a local tough who nevertheless proved to have a helpful character.

Taking advantage of Mikal's occasional association with Lord Rynoi, the pair found themselves put up at the Outside Lord's mansion. There, he told Mikal and Sada of the refugees and of the plague and hauntings that were spreading among them. Based on the pair's request, Rynoi promised to introduce them to people in the undertown who could let them travel to and from the refugee camps discretely. However, an unannounced visit from Lord Jendee forced him to stay behind temporarily. He sent his servant, Sharsangam, to guide them to the location ahead of him. Along the way, Sada and Mikal were attacked by the "curse dog," one of the rumored haunts. The dog was destroyed, but Mikal had to be taken back to the mansion to recover.

Romance of a Fallen Country Player Roster

• Human Fighter, starting at Level 2
      • 565 XP (475 XP + 90 XP Mission Bonus)
      • 2 torches
      • 10 days of trail rations
      • one waterskin (full)
      • Mikal is feverish from his wounds, and his maximum number of healing surges per day has been reduced by one.

• Palpatim, playing Sada
      • Deva Wizard, Level 2
      • 1743 XP (1375 XP + 368 XP Mission Bonus)
      • 4313 stycas and 125 sceatas
      • a primitive amulet (worth 20 sceatas), a primitive crystal amulet (worth 100 sceatas)
      • Vonim's Chronicle and a baked clay brick from the clearing in Serpent's Thicket
      • a potion of healing
      • 2 torches
      • 7 days of trail rations
      • one waterskin (full)

The game will begin the next morning after the attack of the curse dog, with the characters benefiting from an Extended Rest.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 07-16-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: corrected rations for Sada

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the summary, Umiushi. I wish I could remember it better; I feel like it's the morning after a particularly disreputable party, and someone is telling me what I did and how amusing they found it. I'm sure it will all start coming back to me once I get back into it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

MapTool version 1.3.b86

Sorry for the short notice, but I would like to try MapTool version 1.3.b86. It has been the current version since April, so I hope it will be more stable than our 1.3.b84.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Addadun Above and Below, final session

The final session of the second adventure of Romance of a Fallen Country will begin at 2:30 pm PDT on Saturday, July 30th.

The Story So Far

A halfling healer named Lefstan tends to Mikal's wounds. He was sent for by Lord Rynoi because of his willingness to tend to humans and mudwugs. He tells Sada that the mudwugs claim there is a veritable trove of medicinal plants in the nearby swamp, the Dau Boalk.

Sada accompanies Rynoi to a tavern in the undertown, where he plans to have Sada ferried undetected out of Addadun. However, the koalinth smugglers have other ideas, and confront Rynoi with the fact that a gambler named Cenan was wagering with Rynoi's promised payment the night before. She was caught cheating and fled, but now the koalinths stand accused of her disappearance.

The koalinths take Sada hostage, but abandon her in a dark alley when they are scared off by the sudden absence of glow moths. Sada discovers Cenan's body, and almost becomes the next victim of the undertown shade before she's rescued by Mikal. Upon closer examination, Cenan was battered to death and robbed before being dragged to the spot.

The next day, a mudwug bottom fisher finally succeeds in getting Sada out of Addadun, where she, Mikal, and Rynoi's servant Sharsangam head into the Dau Boalk. There they do discover some healing herbs, but no sign at all of the curative plants they truly seek. That's when the zombies show up....

• Human Fighter, starting at Level 2
      • 740 XP (650 XP + 90 XP Mission Bonus)
      • 2 torches
      • 10 days of trail rations
      • one waterskin (full)

• Palpatim, playing Sada
      • Deva Wizard, Level 2
      • 1968 XP (1600 XP + 368 XP Mission Bonus)
      • 4313 stycas and 125 sceatas
      • a primitive amulet (worth 20 sceatas), a primitive crystal amulet (worth 100 sceatas)
      • Vonim's Chronicle and a baked clay brick from the clearing in Serpent's Thicket
      • a potion of healing
      • healing herbs (equivalent to two potions of healing)
      • 2 torches
      • 7 days of trail rations (I miscalculated from the previous session. That roster is now edited with the correct amount.)
      • one waterskin (full)

The next session will begin with the attack of the muck zombies.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 07-16-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    The next session will begin with the attack of the muck zombies.
    Sorry, that doesn't really do it for me--needs more hype. How about this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poster.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	3407  

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always wanted to see a movie poster for one of my games!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This wraps up the adventures based on the island of Istao for the near future. I will be concentrating on the Dispositio Diabolum mini-campaign for the next several online chat sessions.

Conclusion of Addadun, Above and Below

In the middle of the Dau Boalk, Sada and Mikal were ambushed by zombies and Shayelan, a gnome working with Lefstan. After driving her off, they returned to discover Blydden and Daknia accused of murdering a family of mudwugs. Sada was given permission to speak to the witnesses of the crime, only to discover they had been placed under Lefstan's care.

When Sada confronted Lefstan in a half-sunken apothecary's shop in the undertown, he tried to make his escape, but wound up drowning, instead. Sada discovered he was using a Tyaasian ritual to transform mudwugs into loathsome bullywugs. She presented the evidence she retrieved from his lair to the three lords of Addadun, and convinced them of her companions' innocence.

The question of taking in the villagers of Elanglond is still unresolved, but Lord Rynoi has put forward a way to do so. If Sada can use Lord Rynoi's recovered family heirloom, a bauble with an enchantment to retrieve that which is lost, to recover the missing Ring of the Territory Lord of Addadun, its magic would restore the land as a sanctuary.

• Palpatim, playing Sada
      • Deva Wizard, Level 3
      • 2468 XP (2100 XP + 368 XP Mission Bonus)
      • 4313 stycas and 130 sceatas
      • Sada is currently enjoying Lord Rynoi's hospitality, and may use his manor as a base of operations.
      • Sada has obtained Lord Mayor Hagan's permission to freely enter and leave Addadun, as well as move between the upper town and the undertown.
      • Lefstan Enneck's Spellbook, containing the alchemical formulae for Blinding Bombs, Clearsense Powder, Dragonfire Tar, and Tanglefoot Bags; and an alchemical-ritual complex that can transform mudwugs into bullywugs. (Value: 350 sceatas)
      • a baked clay brick from the clearing in Serpent's Thicket
      • Lord Rynoi's "bauble"
      • a potion of healing
      • healing herbs (equivalent to two potions of healing)
      • a package of Dragonfire Tar (Level 3)
      • a Tanglefoot Bag (Level 2)
      • a vial of Clearsense Powder (Level 1)
      • 15 sceatas' worth of alchemical reagents
      • [Vonim's Chronicle, containing the Secret Page ritual. (Value: 100 sceatas)] - ruined
      • [Sada's robes] - ruined
      • [bedroll] - ruined
      • [2 packages of Dragonfire Tar] - ruined
      • [2 torches] - ruined
      • [9 days of trail rations] - ruined
      • [one waterskin] - ruined

Many ruined non-food items can be magically reconstituted with the Make Whole ritual at 20% of the original cost of the item. The following special items can be repaired with Make Whole at the listed cost:

• Dragonfire Tar - 6 sceatas per package
    • Vonim's Chronicle - 20 sceatas

I'd like to confirm that Sada left behind Lefstan's red orb.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 07-31-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My immense apologies missing this game. I'd gotten called in to work and I've been informed I'm having a shift change. I'll still see about the other post so I can work my schedule. Again, I'm so very sorry to have left you hanging, Palp, and left you wondering, Umi.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DiscipleofYawgmoth, totally understand--life happens sometimes. Hope you're able to make the next installment; it sounds like Umiushi has some good stuff planned.

Umiushi, I didn't intend to leave behind Lefstan's orb. I didn't press the identification of it immediately since we were wrapping up the adventure, and it wasn't until later that I realized that not everything was resolved. My assumption is that the orb is magical, and if so, Sada would definitely claim it as just spoils of war.

If alchemical reagents are easy enough to obtain that she can buy enough to restore all of her possessions that were ruined, plus some more besides, then she will spend some of that copper that is weighing her down to buy it. I still have a hard time doing currency conversion, but my tally looks like:

Code:
    Item                          Value (in copper)  Repair cost (in copper)
    ----------------------------  -----------------  -----------------------
    Vonim's Chronicle                         1,000                      200
    Sada's robes                                100                       20
    bedroll                                      10                        2
    2 packages of Dragonfire Tar                600                      120
    2 torches                                    20                        4
    9 days of trail rations                     450                       90
    one waterskin                               100                       20
    ----------------------------  -----------------  -----------------------
      Total Reagents needed                                              456
    In addition, she will buy at least 50 gp = 500 sp = 5000 cp worth of extra reagents, assuming they're available. That should use up all of the copper she's lugging around, plus about half of her silver, leaving her with 15sp, 7cp in her purse and 65 gp in reagents.

Also, if she can sell the amulets for 120 sp, she will do so. She will also drop the brick, as it appears to be dead weight by now.

--T
    Last edited by Palpatim; 07-31-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: corrected total of reagents, added intent to sell amulets & drop brick

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for getting back to us, DiscipleofYawgmoth. When we resume adventuring in Istao, I will look forward to Mikal being part of that effort.

Lefstan's Orb
    Lefstan's orb is a Level 5 Orb of Sanguinary Repercussions +1, as listed in the Player's Handbook, page 239. I'm sure Sada will be able to put it to good use.

Miscellaneous Transactions

Your currency conversion looks good, Palpatim. There are some details that will change your total, but you couldn't have known about a few of them in advance. I will outline them below:

• The amounts listed for Vonim's Chronicle and the packages of tar were already their repair costs, not their actual value.
    • Addadun is one of the few places in Istao where you can literally find a shop that will sell you "alchemical reagents," but even so, there is a shortage: alchemical reagents are currently selling at 200% of the base price.
    • The smallest quantity of reagents that can be used in the performance of the ritual is 1 sceata's worth. Even if an item is worth less than 5 sceatas, the component cost to repair it is 1 sceata.
    • Food cannot be salvaged with this ritual. The rations are lost and must be replaced.

Item - Repair Cost

• Vonim's Chronicle - 20 sceatas
    • 2 packages of Dragonfire Tar - 12 sceatas
    • Subtotal - (32 - 15) * 2 = 34 sceatas, if we use Sada's remaining reagents

Item - Replacement Cost

• 10 days of trail rations - 5 sceatas
    • Robes - 1 sceata
    • Waterskin - 1 sceata
    • 2 torches - 20 stycas
    • Bedroll - 10 stycas
    • Subtotal - 7 sceatas, 30 stycas

Sada's total cost to repair and replace her items is 41 sceatas, and 30 stycas.

Converting 4200 stycas to 42 sceatas leaves Sada with 172 sceatas and 113 stycas.

Sada is able to sell the amulets at the given price, and gains 120 sceatas from the transaction. Sada now has 292 sceatas and 113 stycas. The brick becomes a new doorstop for the Rynoi Manor.

After repairing and replacing her items, Sada would have 251 sceatas and 83 stycas.

If Sada then wishes to buy 50 sceatas of reagents at 200% cost, she will have 151 sceatas and 83 stycas remaining.

Robes costing 1 sceata are plain at best. If Sada would like something more befitting her status, I would suggest spending 30 sceatas.

There are some incidental details that won't effect Sada, but might be good to know in the future.

• Reagents are high-prestige items, and the seller will not accept stycas as payment, especially not several pounds of them. Normally, Sada would need to get her stycas changed to sceatas, at a loss of 20%. However, Sharsangam happens to have a need for Sada's stycas and agrees to convert them all into sceatas at the actual exchange rate.
    • The smallest quantity of reagents that can be purchased is 1 sceata's worth.

After you confirm or amend this, I will post a new party roster.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 08-01-2011 at 04:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for clarifying and amplifying, Umiushi. The disposition sounds reasonable. Sada will purchase both new "work/travel" robes and fine clothing for more formal occasions. She doesn't relish the idea of diving into another pool of mucky water in her nice robes.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast