Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: When the heck is DDI table top coming out?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post When the heck is DDI table top coming out?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Look, if you have any info regarding DDI's online table top, post here cause as far as I can tell...I haven't seen any release date or any kinda jazz like that. I'm really kinda excited about it, I mean think about it...a lobby you connect to and you can just jump right into games. How cool is that!? I think yea might have to pay for the service but man...since nobody in my area of the US likes me the virtual table top might be my answer. So again...if yea have any info on release dates or anything, post to the thread.
    "...and all the people of the world as one voice sang a hymn.The Song of all creation screamed for justice. We are that justice." -unknown bard's final dictation before the last war.-

Downloads
    Uploads
    That project's on the shelf- it would have been fun, but I guess they ran into technical difficulties or whatever.

They shut down Gleemax to move their programmers closer to the games, so maybe someday. Not any time soon though....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beat me to it Valdar. Yeah, DDI has been shelved. I guess I'm not shocked but it is annoying. In the meantime, try www.rptools.net
    By far the best VTT I know of, and all free.
    Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
    Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
    Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
    Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Infinitely delayed. It's true. Though in the version I heard, DDI's Table Top along with Gleemax was shelved so as to allow their staff the time needed to work on higher priority (read more tractable) problems, such as nuclear fusion.
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by korhal23 View Post
    Beat me to it Valdar. Yeah, DDI has been shelved. I guess I'm not shocked but it is annoying. In the meantime, try www.rptools.net
    By far the best VTT I know of, and all free.
    What kind of prep time does this take for a DM? The pictures they offer look great, but i don't need preparing an adventure to be a full-time job.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I looked into uh, Rptools man...it made my brains hurt, I'm not a super savvy computer guy and it looks sorta like it would take some time to get all that stuff together as a DM yea know? Guess I'll just sit around piss and moan about DDI hating us, and keep watch D&D PHB PSA's on YouTube.
    "...and all the people of the world as one voice sang a hymn.The Song of all creation screamed for justice. We are that justice." -unknown bard's final dictation before the last war.-

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its not nearly as hard to prep for it as it sounds, depending on how far you take it.

If you ignore all the fancy features like macros and the like, you can be done prepping in the same amount of time it takes you to prepare for a normal table top game. Google around to find some images to use for the scenery and enemies, drag them into position, then save the map for use on game day.

If you choose to dive into all the macros and crazy features it still doesn't take that long to prepare, once you have the macros done that is. Writing the macros can take several weeks of time (I'm in week two or three of making a set of macros). But once thats done, they won't need any attention later on. If you do a good job with the macros they can replace or reduce some of the preparation time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    What kind of prep time does this take for a DM? The pictures they offer look great, but i don't need preparing an adventure to be a full-time job.
    That depends. If you just want to, say, use a VTT in place of a standard gameboard, it's as simple as setting up a background, making some tokens and being on your way. If you want it to be programmed up a little prettier?

http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...1445#post91445

The stuff you see here took me about 2 weeks of Java coding and about 3 days of Photoshop to draw up my custom icons for status effects, but now that it's there, setting up games is as easy as making new tokens, and typing in the relevant info that I need, so really no more time than it takes to set up a normal tabletop. I also take the time to make the lighting dynamic with the built in line of sight blocker.

All depends on the effort you want to put into it.
    Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
    Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
    Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
    Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool but an ridiculous amount of prep time. I can't rationalize it, myself, but very cool for those that have the time.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah the Vaporware status of the VTT definitely sucks. Really a shame. The problem is that Wizards is not a software development company but they are essentially trying to develop software. They should have outsourced it. Probably could have been ready right around the time of release had they done that. Oh well, fortunately I have been able to find a group.