Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: New Domain Lord of Ravenloft

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The following rules were written by Arkhemedes but they have been edited and changed since they first appeared in the New Domain Lord of Ravenloft thread from the Gardens of Stone.

1) This PBP will be run with the Pathfinder D&D rules.

2) One of the biggest rules that Baron Samedi emphasized when he first set down a set of rules for the PBP is that no PCs will be allowed to attack other PCs. Normally, I might agree with this. But in this case I do not. The reason for this is that I don't want any players thinking that they have nothing to fear from certain other characters. The fear of not knowing who you can and cannot trust is a big part of Ravenloft and there may be times, for example, when, unknown to you, your buddy has been turned into a vampire, and you won't find out until he attacks you. Part of Gothic horror, after all, is a sense of paranoia and a fear of the unknown which means that characters (and players) should not be absolutely sure of anything.

3) Keeping the above rule in mind, I do however highly advise players to run good characters for two reasons: One - to keep unnecessary backstabbing out of the game; and Two - more importantly, to give the player the best chance possible to continue playing his/her character. What does this mean? For those who may be unfamiliar with certain rules of Ravenloft, every time a character does anything that might be considered evil or anything related to necromancy a Powers Check is made. A Powers Check is a percentile dice roll to see if the evil Powers that rule over Ravenloft take note of that character's action. If the Powers do take note they might reward that character with some kind of power or ability while at the same time slowly begin to transform the character into a monster. If a character fails enough Powers Checks it becomes a monster, which means it also irrevocably becomes an NPC run by the DM. So the less good a character is, the more likely it is to eventually turn into a monster. For evil characters (run correctly) it is only a matter of time. For neutral characters, it will take longer, but they might also eventually become monsters as well.

Now, despite the fact that I advise all players to run good characters, I'm not entirely opposed to let one or two players slip in with neutral or even evil characters, provided that they realize it might be a real short run for that character. Chances are, the other good characters will get wise to any evil character in their midst long before it gets turned into a monster and will either be forced out of the group or killed.

4) Because of this, and for other reasons, I do not want any of the players to reveal any information about their characters whatsoever (most especially alignment) that isn't obvious by that character's appearance (except to me of course). In other words, when we start up the play by post, each player will introduce their character by giving a description of the character's physical appearance and nothing more - not even the character's name. Everything else will be revealed through role playing. Now, in the interest of trying to develop a balanced party, the players will be allowed to state to each other that they are running one of the following:

Warrior (if running a fighter, paladin, ranger, monk, barbarian or similar)
    Divine Spellcaster (if running a cleric, druid or similar)
    Arcane Spellcaster (if running a bard, sorcerer,wizard or similar)
    Rogue (if running a rogue, gypsy <the class>, thief or similar)

All other info will be revealed to the DM only via PM or through e-mail. Once we have figured out who will be playing and they have figured out who will be playing which of the above four kinds of characters the players will then fill out a character sheet at home and then e-mail a copy of it to me. Then every time a character moves up in level, and the player has made all the appropriate adjustments to his/her character sheet, then that player will again notify me via e-mail or PM about the changes made so that we can both have accurate copies of the character sheets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0001.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	331  
    Last edited by Arkhemedes; 08-06-2009 at 10:43 AM.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller