Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: pnpg_dicehistorybit in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: pnpg_dicehistory in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: pnpg_dicehistorybit in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: pnpg_dicehistory in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591
Ask the DM - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask the DM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Haven't used this sites pbp before. Testing to make sure I have rolling down
    * Attack Test *

* Damage Test *

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    08-11-2009 02:30 PM
    Attack Test: 1d20 (14) + 16 (16) = 30
    Damage Test: 2d4 (1,4 = 5) + 6 (6) = 11

Downloads
    Uploads

rope of entanglement

Can a rope of Entanglement work on elementals say air ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    Can a rope of Entanglement work on elementals say air ones.
    I glanced through a few books, where is this item listed? I'll look it up and find out.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a game thread for a Play by Post Not general thread.

In regards to your question, it depends on the version of D&D you are playing.

1e and 2e Elementals do not have specific types listed in monster description. If anything, an elemental requires a magical weapon to be damage (I am assuming--it's been a while and they may only need silver weapons). The rules don't prevent you from grappling them. A rope of entanglement therefore would work unless the creature had magical resitance that may counter the object.

in 3e/3.5 creatures can have the incorporeal type which makes them immune to non-magical weapons and physical damage. The rope would not work on them. But the air elemental is not incorporeal, so it can be effected by the rope of entanglement.

In 4e, there is no write-up on a rope of entanglement (yet or I am unaware of them). Creatures of non-physical state are called insubstantial, but that simply means they take 1/2 damage on all attacks. A rope of entanglement would immobilize them unless they had a phasing ability or teleport. There is no straight air elemental writeup in 4e (at least in MM1, so a DM could desire to give it the insubstantial ability.

The DM is free to rule otherwise and that these creatures can not be effected by the rope. But he/she must be consistant in their ruling, given that a PC in 1e,2e, and 3e/3.5 can take the form of an air elemental in some way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wait just a god damn minute here.

What the hell is with this new thing, me not posting in time? What? It hasn’t even been the 24 hour mark since the last combat post was made! And what’s with this sudden new rule? Nowhere, NOWHERE have I seen it mentioned in any of your other threads in the group… until now. I can understand forgetting little notes, but this is too big a pisser to just freaking forget until now all of a sudden. I’m more than a little upset at this sudden magical new rule with shitty time constraints. What the hell, man. Seriously. That wasn't cool.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think what Vodka is trying to say is, why weren't we previously informed of a time limit. Also what exactly is that time limit?

And from what I read of the description of the creature, our melee effects had no visual effect on it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed, lets set out any rules we need to know to avoid surprises or disappointment.

Rultar's strikes true twice as well as Silt's jab.
    This sounds to me like the attacks were a success, just not any flavor involved in the description.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah indeed I missed that in my haste.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I appologize to vodak.

You may move your PC to the top of iniative order before the creature for the second round. We willa ssume you delayed to be on top of the next round. Since the creature has attacked you may attack on round 2.

The influx of Pc's has had to redesign my posting regiment.

1. I usually have a daily post on moves. For now on, I will post around Midnight on the results of all posts. You will then have a whole 24 to get to post. Should you miss the post, I will move the PC, usually out of harms way or repeat the action it did the previous turn. You need not post on your iniative order but your action takes place in the iniative order.

2. Considering the make up of the creature, the damage you did was not as significant as you would like. The flavor I attributed is the holes left in it's form. And the fact they start closing up should be enough of a sign of what you are dealing with. It is but a minor action to use any knowledge skills you posses to determind the makeup of the creature.

Remember that monsters in 4e have a crap load of hitpoints.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, so let me ensure that I am getting this straight... For each round, we can post in any order, yes? Doesn't matter what initiative order we have, just so long as we get a post in during that time slot? Yes?

Downloads
    Uploads
    testing the rolls

* hit *

* fire *

--- Merged from Double Post ---
    as of right now in the game, I am MOUNTED on my horse, correct?
    Last edited by Necron99; 08-12-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    08-12-2009 08:14 PM
    hit: 1d20 (14)
    fire: 3d6 (4,6,3 = 13) + 1d4 (4) = 17
    08-12-2009 08:47 PM
    hit: 1d20 (3)
    fire: 3d6 (4,4,4 = 12) + 1d4 (3) = 15

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    Okay, so let me ensure that I am getting this straight... For each round, we can post in any order, yes? Doesn't matter what initiative order we have, just so long as we get a post in during that time slot? Yes?
    To makes things simple, you are correct, that way you don't have to wait for the person ahead of you. If you wish to trigger your action after an another player, you may do so. You may also change lower your initiate order if you choose as per Delay.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    testing the rolls
    as of right now in the game, I am MOUNTED on my horse, correct?
    As long as you have one. Remember that your mounts cannot attack less you have mounted combat feat. In any case, that's still a standard action on your part. They also use your move to get around.
    Last edited by wizarddog; 08-12-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    so dismounting and readying for combat would be 1 standard action, and the only moves I can make, correct? No spells, etc?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you want to make a DC 15 acrobatics or athletics check to leap off your horse. If you failed, you fall prone on the ground, ending your movement. You still have your standard and minor.

You can attack while remaining on your horse, any move action moves you and your horse while mounted using the horses speed.

Drawing a weapon is a minor action.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I forgot to add that furious assault is a free action encounter power that only triggers on a hit. Would have edited it in, but the forum likes to double your rolls when you do that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast