Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Against The Tides - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Against The Tides

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    delete
    Last edited by TheOneBigOne; 10-23-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, 10pm EST tomorrow?

Downloads
    Uploads
    delete
    Last edited by TheOneBigOne; 10-23-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry folks - was just unable to stay awake

Will try it again next Friday

Was quite well run imo

Hope I did not miss too much

Gruffly'

Ryndal

Downloads
    Uploads
    A few points were brought up at the end of the session that I would like to address.

Experience and leveling. I again, in an effort to maintain story over mechanics, will be handling leveling and experience differently than usual. You will accumulate experience normally after each encounter however; levels will only be gained after your character has sought out someone of the same class and has been “trained” in the new skills and powers. (This makes worlds more sense to me as your character must gain practice with what they already knew. A familiarity with the powers they possess before they can return to their ‘master’ and become exposed to a variety of new abilities) We will roleplay this out to suit our needs. It also gives the characters a good reason to return to the major cities in between adventures. I will allow the accumulation of exp into the next levels so when you go to the ‘master’ you can level more than once if you have enough exp. I like this idea better than spontaneous powers erupting from your character with no explanation of how they learned them.

Awarding experience. I will award experience based on several different things. As I already stated above you will gain exp normally from encounters however; I find the book to be rather restrictive on how it awards exp compared to many other games I have run it is pretty obvious by now I enjoy making the game unique and to that extent I will ‘award’ exp on several different factors. (you are probably asking yourself why did he put quotes around the word ‘award’) well to answer that fantastic question! We will hold on the forums the Exp Emmys.

You each will nominate ANOTHER PLAYER and give a short (one sentence) explanation on why you believe they should receive the award. You can nominate them for more than one award (DO NOT NOMINATE YOURSELF) After all this isn’t begging for exp, it’s an awards ceremony. The categories are in two groups: Individual awards, (your nomination of other players) and Group awards (I do this for everyone you do not nominate for these). ONLY one player will typically receive the award, but players may receive multiple awards. These I call personal awards. There are also group awards where everyone splits the award equally. I choose group awards myself.

Areas where I award ONE character exp as a prize: (or personal awards)

Roleplaying, should be pretty obvious

Humor, again pretty obvious

Heroism, did this character do something that is heroic even for that character.

Honesty, I make mistakes. Sometimes in your favor, sometimes against, if I make a mistake in your favor and that player speaks up and correct a mistake that would have benefited them, they may qualify for this award

Motivation, This player/character helped to drive the storyline and keep us on track, or maybe even driven us on a different, but good, story based on that characters background

Dialogue, not just idle chat but meaningful story that helps define that character (yes this is kind of tied into the roleplaying award)

Leadership, fairly obvious but was he/she a good leader? (and just having the skill does not count)

Best rolls, well they get this for dumb luck, did they have the crucial lucky roll that helped the whole team? Or one incredible roll that just made everyone take notice?

Consistency, is that character the same figure that his background describes? (and yes as the game goes on I will accept growth and change of character. But is it consistent with the story and events he has gone through) I am looking to avoid having a character that is described as lawful good but always attacks first and steals.

Most deserved of a point, this award goes to a character that might have done something that does not fall into another category but still deserves exp for it.

Strategy, if they come up with a really good strategy that turns out to be effective (or really should have worked if it weren’t for that pesky GM)

Smarts, if there is a puzzle, or problem, or trap, that needs to be solved and they come up with the solution, they qualify

Skills, did this character have the best skill set for the job and really use them when it was critical? They should get this award

Areas where I award MORE than one character: (or group awards)

Survival, if you live to the awards ceremony you usually qualify

Objectives, usually a GM secret

Threat, the more nastiness that you face the bigger award this can be, if instead you chose to run and hide, well… no soup for you!

Teamwork, if you’re not too busy burying your knifes into each other’s backs you can get this pretty easily. With really good teamwork you might even score a double award on this one.

So this seems like a good time to start an award ceremony! And the nominees are:

(insert your post here)
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    On a totally different note, how would you rate my game? Any suggestions for making things more fun? Anything you would change if you were running the show? If you have any constructive criticism I would gladly hear it.
    Last edited by TheOneBigOne; 08-01-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is award cerimony is really interesting, and just reminded me of some of the good moments during our session.

Here goes my nominees.

Roleplaying: Ryndal and his constant quest for Ale!

Humor:
    Ryndal, who didn't laugh at the dwarf's implacable thirst?

Heroism:
    though he wasn't with us Roxxas (UndeadJack) at the time, his character certainly deserves it for facing 4 goblins at a time.

Honesty, I make mistakes: I don't recall any situation where you made mistakes in our favor or anything, we usually tried to clarify things before they even arouse so I would have to nominate everyone for helping find the rules. If I had to vote for someone specific, then Ryndal as he seemed to have the most knowledge of the game.

Motivation: Again, only have a little background info for this award as we only had 1 session, but I would have to go with Ryndal for this one, he certainly helped us with the idea to talk with the first guard (even if it was just for the ale).

Dialogue: Ryndal again, his dialogues were smart and certainly helped

Leadership: Hard time deciding between Ryndal and Lerek, but I will vote for Lerek because of how he was able to take the reigns on the Goblins attack near the end of the session.

Best rolls:
    Can we vote based on the "funniest roll"? If so, my vote goes to Lerek and his excellent natural 1 perception check when scouting the barn and discovering that "Everything is fine! That flying thing is certainly not a Dragon, just a funny looking cloud.".

Consistency:
    To vote on this one I would need to know everyone's background a little better. Everyone played their roles nicely I think, that is, from the start to finish, no one did anything inconsistent with their starting attitude. A.k.a, can't decide.

Most deserved of a point: Roxxas (UndeadJack), he arrived late (totaly understandable by the way, so don't take this as a critic), but managed to get a quick grip of the situation.

Strategy: Ryndal, he deserves for the good use of his healing powers during the arena fight.

Smarts:
    Lerek, starting the goblin march day with a few gold coins was very good.

Skills: Lerek, nice perception checks, even with a penalty did a nice intimidate on our guide which allowed us to find out about the small object of power that seems to be the source of the troubles in the region.

Finally, as for criticism, I can't think of anything right now. The game was well handled. Personally I had fun, you played the NPCs nicely and they all certainly had something to say even with the most strange questions (was fun being able to play my character personal quest to find anything about The Red Knight).

If I think of anything, I'll certainly post it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adventure summary

Act I Summary:

Our brave adventurers made their way into the heart of an enormous kingdom and struggled to find a way to meet with the king. They discovered an arena in the middle of the city where they spent some time gaining renown and coinage by besting a band of goblins. After that victory, the arena master offered them a job, stating that he would pay for any young monsters that he might be able to train to fight. As the party headed out into the city, a man from a country village requested the party's aid in defeating a group of goblins that were plaguing their town. The party took on the challenge and made way to the small farming community.

After arriving at the town, the party realized they were deceived. The town's children were behaving like wild animals, the crops were booming, and it was clear that the Goblin's were not attacking, but instead searching the town for something. The mayor promised a Royal Marquis, a ticket to see the king, as a reward to ridding the town of the problem. He held back information, but was finally forced to reveal that some of the children in the town found a magic item and brought it back to the town just before the changes. Anyone near the object became covetous of it so they buried it. Soon their crops began to grow at triple their normal rate, however all of their children turned feral. The mayor was convinced to show the adventurers the location of the object, and even approaching it they were able to feel its pull and the intensity of its magical power. That evening a gaggle of goblins struck another home. The dwarven shaman slept on, dreaming of ale and bearded dwarven women, while the others went to investigate.

A large house on the outskirts of the town was being searched by the goblins. For some reason they had ushered the inhabitants out and were not interested in attacking the heroes, whom they clearly outnumbered. The group managed to communicate with a very large goblin and convinced them, with the aid of a couple of gold coins, to follow the party to the unusual object. The party of a human, a high elf, a wild elf, and 10 goblins made their way where the object was buried. The goblins quickly recovered it and ran off north into the hills. The adventurers followed until they made their way into a mysterious cave. Despite the compulsion to follow the mysterious object, the group held back in time to watch a spirit materialize and slay each and every goblin prior to taking the item into the vault and sealing up the enormous stone door behind it.

Stay tuned for Act II.

Downloads
    Uploads
    delete
    Last edited by TheOneBigOne; 10-23-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    would i be able to miss out on this award nomination..seeing as i was pretty late getting into it ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    delete
    Last edited by TheOneBigOne; 10-23-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Mid Week Update

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will be on the Vent server Thursday from about 7-10pm, I would like to get some pre-game stuff sorted so we can start with the story right away on Friday. If you have the time pop on vent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey everyone, just posting a small bullet point summary of the talk we (me, theonebigone and UndeadJack/Roxxas) had yesterday about game mechanics.

In order to make the game more interesting, we talked about some ideas Theonebigone had for our campaign, which are:

- Backgrounds: Considering that everyone took their time to make interesting backgrounds, and that we don't know each others background or even how the group met. He talked about the possibility of having a "flashback" to the initial days of the group to see when they met each other and how we came together. The 3 of us agreed that this could possibly be done after we finish our current quest, perhaps going to a tavern and talking about the old days or something like that.

It is up to the everyone to agree if we will have this flashback and when, though bear in mind that to make some sense, we would have such adventure at lvl 1.

- Magic: Two things came up about magic: (i) name items and new magic items; and (ii) how magic appears in the world.

In regard to the first topic, theonebigone had the very interesting idea of, first, use the magic items listed in the book more to have a basis for the magic items than to follow it by heart. That is, we may find the listed magical items, but it is very likely that we will find new and unique items with different powers and abilities. We all agreed that this is very good as all magic items seem a little bland.

The second idea regarding the topic was "name items", this idea is based on a game system created by the same people that made shadowrun (but it is in the same world but before the age of shadowrun) [forgot what it was called]. Basicaly, this game system worked with a renown system, for instance, you didn't gain experience, but the more renown your character had, the stronger he became; same thing worked for items, if you had this sword, such as the Sting from Bilbo/Frodo, the more you used the sword, the stronger your bond with it and the more that your enemies feared it, the stronger it got. In this way, simple objects that though do not have any particular powers at the moment, may acquire magical properties, or even get stronger magical properties.

We also thought this was an interesting concept, but again, everything is up to the unanimous consent.

Regarding magic in general, we talked about the idea that magic would not be restricted to the ones listed, and would sometimes have greater and more powerful or unusual capabilities; the idea is to make the magic in the world something mysterious and unique. (We had a small sample of this in the Arena, where the arrows could not cross the edge of the arena pit, for instance).

- World in general: Another discussion was about the world in general, to try and sum it up, we would try not to limit the world to just Dungeons and Dragons (literally), but try and improve every kingdom, every region with unique settings that would all blend together, for instance, we could travel to a world somewhat similar to Iron Kingdoms, with steam powered machines; or reach other worlds similar to Eberron and so on. It would be the actual game settings, but the worlds would have their unique characteristics through the mix of a lot of different ideas.

Again, this could certainly prove interesting to give the game a lot of more flavor, instead of us simply going from village with goblin problem, to village with bugbear problem, to village with ogre problem, and so on. It is interesting and the three of us don't have any problems with mixing a lot of things in our D&D game.

- Level up and teaching: As we talked before in the very end of our last session, leveling up shouldn't consist of simply "After killing all those goblins I suddenly feel more powerful!"; but with trying to find masters/stronger individuals in or arts (or other arts if we want to multiclass) and learning from them.

This would work both ways, in that we can either be a student or a teacher. We would be able to try and seek students who wish to be taught by us and take them in our journeys trying to teach them how to fight, our skills and so on. They would work somewhat as companions, not hirelings, as such, we would need to teach them well and not backstab or use them as sacrificial pawns.

Jointly with this idea, theonebigone talked about maybe adding an additional skill "learning/teaching", which would aid us in being taught and teaching/finding better students.

Interesting idea in my personal opinion.

These are the points that I remember, if Roxxas or theonebigone would like to add something else, please feel free. Also, if anyone else would like to add an additional suggestion, feel free to do so.

Lastly, this summary of yesterday is simply to speed things up, as I believe everyone would like to get into the game quickly today. So read up, see what you think and if in doubt we can always simply give it a try. As our GM stressed many times, we can always adapt and gear the game towards something else if we don't like or find something uninteresting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great summation V. I don’t have much to add to that except the name of the game that was the past for Shadowrun was Earthdawn. I do really want to incorporate the naming experience of that gem of a game. The concept that the more widely known your items of power are known, and the more of a name they make for themselves, the more power and greater “experience” the items gain was always a very exciting concept to me. Having enemies run when they hear the name of your bow or hammer or even better, when they recognize it by the way it looks or shines (or when its powerful enough: the way it emits a glow) has always held a certain draw for me. I think it can add a very interesting element to the game.

In other news discussed last night: the vent server is just that, a server. It’s always on so feel free to meet up with each other in-between games for any discussions you may need. All I ask is that you are respectful to the wishes of the owners. (flyck and justin mainly.)
    Tonight is a go for launch! I am logged onto vent and the Maptools will be started around 8:30-9:00. 

Downloads
    Uploads
    delete
    Last edited by TheOneBigOne; 10-23-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i can fill him in my friend just has to get his character sheet up and what not

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast