Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Chapter Two

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Game Thread: Chapter Two

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    As night switches to dawn the beraggled thieves make their way back to the guild hall. The group looks smaller than that first set out; their fate is unkown.

Filing into Calloway's office, the theives give their report from all pints of view and the obvious announcement that they failed to get the periapt.

Surprisingly Calloway does not seem upset.

"...though you must learn to work more as a team in the future. If it was not for Giselle, you might have had a even worse fight on your hands. Young Blake must learn to trust his instincts and not fall victim to the plans of the dim. Madoka should not rely solely on her magic; if she would have taken the time to get more information on the son's, she would have discovered they were better trained in combat than they let on. Should her spell fail, they would have cut her down surely."

His mood changes.

"I am very interested in the symbol Hooper found in the ledger."

He reaches from under his desk and pulls out an ornate dagger with a curved blade. The blade is covered in dried blood. Near its hilt is the same symbol etched in.

"This blade was found it one of our thieves just two weeks ago. He manage to make it back to the guild and died shortly afterward, from a wound our healers could not mend."

He leaves the dagger on the table as he continues.

"These things are not coincidences. As you have heard, other guild members have been found dead. I believe we have a rival in our midst."

He begins to pulls several daggers from under his desk. You recognize them as Guild Daggers, given to full members as identification.

"I am now assigning you the task on learning more about this organization. I need you to scower the city keeping a low profile. You may need to use...(glances at Gisselle)...unorthadox methods of obtaining information."

"Since you are all more familiar with than any other in the Guild in this matter, I am authorized to advance you beyond footpads and into full fledged Guild Members. Avoid intimidating the other Guild officers. They don't like me and they will certainly like you even less. You answer directly to me. Do not divulge your mission to anyone outside of this circle."

"Keep these daggers close to you. They are your symbol to other agents of the guild, should you need to identify yourselves."

(DM: Each of you now has a masterwork dagger designed to be a identification of your membership. You may ask Calloway questions before you set off--and you may buy whatever you think you need--no magic.)
    Last edited by wizarddog; 07-25-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "I didn't even get to use my magic," Madoka mutters sourly to herself. "Kobayashi Maru, indeed! Hmmph!" (she slides the closest guild dagger over to her and slips it into a pocket in her cloak)

Madoka will wait to see if anyone asks any questions, then she will mix the following questions into the conversation. If no one else speaks up, she'll just ask each of her questions in a row, waiting for an answer for each.

"So what else do you know about this so-called rival? What other actions have they taken against the guild. Surely you know more than you're telling us."

"Where do you suggest we begin our investigation? Some direction would be helpful as we can't just split up and randomly scour the whole town. You want us to succeed this time, right?"

"Does the guild or the victims in particular have any enemies we should know about?"

"What do you think is the rival's goal in killing off guild thieves?"

"Do you think the rival is a double agent inside the guild, or someone from the outside? And what leads you to believe that?"

Madoka waits for the answers to her questions, then folds her arms, looking annoyed. "Where are the rest of those losers you sent with us?"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "So what else do you know about this so-called rival?"

"They have step up their activity recently, being much bolder in their operations. The rival seems to be able to keep themselves hidden and undetected yet somehow communicate with our former...clients...in ways we cannot intercept."

"What other actions have they taken against the guild."

"Slayings of our collectors, exposing our spies in the other guilds, and disrupting guild operations. It took us recounting the last six months to realize these were systematic attacks on the Guild. I suspect even more in the future, hence the urgency."

“Surely you know more than you're telling us."

Calloway smiles. “I can't divulge all the information I have. Should one of you be caught by them, I can't afford to lose the upper hand should you spill the beans.”

"Where do you suggest we begin our investigation? Some direction would be helpful as we can't just split up and randomly scour the whole town. You want us to succeed this time, right?"

"I suggest you keep a low profile and see if you can discover the meaning of the symbol you found. I'm sure you have some old wizard guild contacts that might be willing to listen to you for the right price. The same goes for any others old haunting grounds. There may be some in the city that know things and can be persuaded to tell. You'll need to try some unorthodox methods; our standard array of Guild tactics have yielded no fruit."

"Does the guild or the victims in particular have any enemies we should know about?"

"No more than a guild thief would normally: City Guard, rival guilds, etc."

"What do you think is the rival's goal in killing off guild thieves?"

"Killing off our Guild members sends a message."

"Do you think the rival is a double agent inside the guild, or someone from the outside? And what leads you to believe that?"

"The rival thinks differently and has other goals than the Guilds. Killing off guild members, even from rival officers, has never been sanctioned in Guild Politics. The group is definitely outside the guild. It seems no matter what the precautions we take, encounters with the rivals have been fatal. There may spies in our midst; which is why none of this conversation is to leave this room. In your investigation, you might be able to find out who our mole is in the Guild."

"Where are the rest of those losers you sent with us?"

"Some of them never came back. Their fate is uncertain. Fortunately, they were never aware of their true mission at Felipe's, so their absence does not concern me. Should they show up, I can bring them up to speed."

"Any other questions?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gisele enters the Thieves' Guild later after dawn, after she's taken her cart out for a couple rounds to catch the early morning shoppers.

(OOC: for game purposes at the moment I'll just assume I'm making enough from selling arrows to pay for my bed and board and my mule; when I'm a better crafter I'm going to want to make money when I sell stuff.)

She enters with her hood fully drawn up and her cart parked a few blocks away, so it would be hard to know who she is unless you'd been tailing her.

She enters Calloway's room.

(OOC: I'm assuming he tells her the same thing he told Madoka.)

"You know I don't like carrying identification," Gisele says, gingerly picking up one of the daggers. "One of these is as good as papers that say Thieves' Guild in big letters at the top. Not that most of the guard can read." She chuckles, a little haughtily, and takes the dagger nonetheless.

As she talks, she winds some string around the grip so it completely hides the symbol.

"And if by unorthodox methods you mean playing wench to the ham-fisted Dmitri, you can count that plan out. He's not really my type. Much too dumb. I'm sure we can all appreciate that here?" Gisele says, glancing at Madoka.

"Something you may want to know. The ninja left arrows at the scene, and the aforementioned alpha male guard is going to come sniffing for him. I doubled round again after leading Dmitri and Christoph away and heard him say that."

She smiles, not mentioning any of her magical participation in the slightest.

"So, who are these lovely people whose skins I saved last night, and what do you do? I'm Gisele and I sell arrows."

Downloads
    Uploads
    "I didn't realize my skin was ever in need of saving," Madoka says dryly with a smirk. "Ayukawa Madoka here. I blast things. Hehehe, fire's COOL! Basically I'm a child prodigy wizard school dropout of dubious moral character, a low tolerance for frustration, and a general lack of manners. Nice to meet you, I guess."

Madoka waits to hear if anyone else is going to ask Calloway any questions, then she takes off saying she'll be out plying her wizardly contacts for info.

[Madoka visits her former master, her old wizard school chums, and the local library to research the symbol we found. She has every knowledge skill so she will use them as necessary.]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hooper sits quietly through the meeting with Calloway, listening intently to questions posed by Madoka and occasionally adding a note to a small bound book in front of him.

As Giselle enters, he rises from his chair. "I certainly recognize that voice. You must have been the one keeping that fellow Dimitri busy." He smiles in gratitude. "Very much appreciated." He offers a small bow in her direction. "I'm Tal Hooper."

As Calloway's remarks conclude, he turns to Madoka, Blake, and Giselle. "I'm afraid I won't be too much use in drawing up information... but I'll do my best should a lock or trap get in our way."

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the word "dropout," Gisele's expression changes subtly for the worse. She gives a weak smile of encouragement to Madoka as the brash mage leaves.

(OOC: maybe I misunderstood... are there two different symbols here? One from the mystery rivals on THEIR dagger, and a different one identifying us as Thieves' Guild members? Or did the rivals simply stick one of us with her own dagger?)

"Ah, thank you, Tal. I trust with one as skilled at finding tricky things as you, this job didn't come up a complete washout?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Indeed." Hooper smiles and turns back a page in his book. "A couple of merchant's goods that we can hock for some gold and about 850 gold in precious stones. We'll get these sold and shares allocated soon." He closes his book and puts it in the satchel at his side.

"Not a bad take for one evening... much better than I made when I was legitimate! Still, maybe next time we can rob a place that isn't the town guard's favorite hang-out."

[OOC: off the cuff, I can't recall if the guild takes a cut of the stuff we grab on the side... I think it's ours free and clear.]

Downloads
    Uploads
    OOC:

From Post #4 in Game Thread 1:

"In addition, I am wavering the guild operation cost on this job. Anything you manage to find for yourselves, you can keep."

Looks like 900 g.p. counting the coins in the money box and the fake gems. We had better fence those gems and fake gems so they can't be traced back to us.

I suggest a 4-way split between Hooper, Gisele, Blake, and myself since we seem to be the only ones posting lately.

That's 225 g.p. each.

We also each get 375 XP since we're not splitting that, that's the award per PC.

That leaves the magnifying glass, the merchant's scale, and an empty coin box. I suggest we keep these as we can probably find a good use for them.

Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    "I know! What a rough spot of luck. You'd think they'd time the watch better so that two sets of guards weren't passing by the same place within five minutes of each other. I wonder if our mark paid to have extra watch on his place? Maybe he was warned by our "Rivals." "

Gisele smiles at the gems and odds and ends.

"I can stash what we don't want to use now in my cart. I'm thinking Tal can use that magnifying glass; I've already got a pair of scales but another never hurts."

"Well, I'll talk to my customers. Could be some of our rivals need arrows, never know."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    (DM There is a symbol on the curved dagger that matches the one Hooper found in the ledger book. An open palm with an eye in the center. The thieves guild daggers have no symbols, by subtly flashing it, you signify guild membership.)

When Madoka says she dropped out of the wizard academy she was only telling part of the story. She actually was kicked out of the Citadel, an elite elven cadre of wizards and clerics in the heart of the Elven District. The Citadel has a disciplined and rich tradition...which explains why Madoka was kicked out. Her instructor, professor Lysine was also rumored fired from the staff of the Citadel for among other things...teaching Madoka. This also explains why Madoka has been black listed from the Wizards Guild as many high ranking Guild members are Citadel Alumni.

Madoka knows of a tavern, the Emerald Garden, where current and former members gather. Perhaps one of her "old school chums" may be able to "help her"...

Giselle has lots of customers, she needs to decide which ones she wants to casually ask first.

(Action: Others may decide what avenues they wish to take in the investigations. You should be specific and I can relate background information. Those who wish to accompany Madoka are warned by her that the crowd she is about to engage don't like non-elves)
    Last edited by wizarddog; 07-27-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hehehe. I've got plenty of gold to buy drinks, but I'll try not to be too obvious. I'll stick to my close friends at the Emerald Garden and work outwards from there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, she'll want to talk to anyone she doesn't know. I'm sure she gets a lot of repeat customers - you know, the boy from the guardhouse, that one thief who thinks her arrows are lucky, etc.

She'll make comments like "Gotta protect against that darn Thieves' Guild" and "heard there was a ruckus at the money-changer's last night, don't want to be caught with your drawers down these days" and other such comments to try and get a reaction out of folks who are particularly against the Thieves' Guild.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As the day continues, the members of the task force begin their investigation.

Madoka makes her way to the Elven district. The gleaming dome of the Citadel shadows the small elven shops and houses around the small winding streets. The Emerald Garden is as it was the last time Madoka visited; a white two story building with a terrace garden at the side. The french doors open and the strange eerie elven harp music gently wavers from within.

Unlike a normal tavern in human and dwarven districts where their is a bar keep; the Emerald Garden has a large fountain with several head of a hydra springing from it. To order a drink, one first throws their money into fountain proper then you simply takes the many goblets in the tavern and requests his/her beverage from the dragon like head. It spews forth the liquid, never missing a drop.

Today the tavern has a good many of patrons. Several traders are seated at the long tables that align the main chamber dressed in the finest of elven made work clothes (For even the lowest of trades is still fashionable compared to other districts). Seated in the garden, a group of six Elven Women are gathered in gossip. Towards the displays of elven weapons, four Centurions are enjoying their drinks while off duty, their bows and swords hanging lazily on the backs of their chairs. At the far end of the tavern, in the "Ruckus room" as the Citadel teachers call it, students and alumni of the Citadel usually meet. Several voices can be heard from it. From where the music comes from is anyones guess.

Giselle makes casual conversation in her meeting of customers, some she has not met in months. She learns that the rank of the City Watch have been increased by over 25% this last year. Speculation is that the Estate of Lord Anthos has contributed a great sum of money to the City Watch's coffers. That explains their increased presence in the merchant district. Most note that the crime rate has also gone down considerably. Business owners report that the theives guild collectors have not shown their faces for six months; to their great relief. Some are glad to hear that they have been showing up dead. "Cleaning up the streets" is what they call it.

(Actions to continue)

Downloads
    Uploads
    (Carry on...)

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast