Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ascending to Godhood
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Ascending to Godhood

Downloads
    Uploads

Ascending to Godhood

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Tomorrow night, I am going to be running my very first WFRP one shot. I have GM'ed other games, D&D mostly, yet they usually blew up in my face. I created the characters using the random creation method, which I love for you come up with some really awesome and/or silly characters. I am 90% done with the session, just finishing up all the loose ends.

Wish me luck!
    Drink lad. Drink to the past and drink to the morrow's reckoning.
    Becoming a hero is simple. Do something dumb enough to be brave yet lucky enough to survive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck! WFRP is a great game.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, good luck with you game. Good to see that you keep coming back to the DMs seat. Just remember that all the great DMs were once just basically where you are at now. I hope to one day be able to have been good enough as a DM as to be included amongst their ranks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's WFRP? I assume from the title of the thread it's an epic-level game? Let us know how it turns out. I have yet to do an (intentional) one-shot - how did you limit yourself plot-wise, and how did it work for you?

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha, it's probably the exact opposite of an Epic level game.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP) is a role playing game set in a world of grim perilous adventure. You play a character generally aspiring to rise above his low station, clawing your way tooth and nail in a world torn apart by war. It's gritty, it's lethal and it's humor is black.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CEBedford View Post
    Haha, it's probably the exact opposite of an Epic level game.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP) is a role playing game set in a world of grim perilous adventure. You play a character generally aspiring to rise above his low station, clawing your way tooth and nail in a world torn apart by war. It's gritty, it's lethal and it's humor is black.
    Sounds interesting. I thought Warhammer was all about spending thousands of dollars on armies that are outdated in six months.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaswhodoubts View Post
    Sounds interesting. I thought Warhammer was all about spending thousands of dollars on armies that are outdated in six months.
    That's the miniatures game. The Fantasy RPG ages better, which is why Games Workshop keeps killing it.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How do they kill it?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cigamnogard View Post
    How do they kill it?
    Check its history: GW to Flame Publications to limbo to Hogshead Publishing to Black Library/Green Ronin (with a new version) to Fantasy Flight Games (yet another version).

Somehow, GW seems to take back the WFRP license once its sales start cutting into miniatures sales.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    In short, WFRP allows you to play one of three races, with over 30 or so classes. One of the more interesting aspects of character creation is that you roll for class...being more true to socio-economic status of that kind of time frame, where you are born into a particular caste, as opposed to choosing. The older versions of WFRP used a d10 system similar to what Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch games are using now for the 40k universe. The new game is released in a boxed set at about $100, meant to be purchased for a group rather than a player. Within the box you'll find a book for players, wizards and clerics, as well as a GM's guide. It also has cards for each class that are set up to create games that are skirmished based, but have the ability to parley them into campaign play. With mechanics that adjust stances from conservative to agressive, and the fact that parties can cross train one another in abilities and have group feats...its a uniquely made system, which seems bulky at first, but lends itself to great gameplay. The hardest part of the system is becoming aclimated to the dice, which use symbols, rather than numbers...
    "When Fate taps you on the shoulder, you'd best pay attention. Unfortunately, she has the blasted habit of tapping you on the opposite shoulder, so that when you turn around she's actually on your other side, giggling like a schoolgirl. I hate that."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Point of note:

Humans
    Elves
    Halflings
    Dwarves
    Gnomes (Warpstone) & Ogres (fan-based). I always allow both.
    Rules for Dark Elves, Skaven, and others, if DM allows
    Over 250 playable careers (not including fan-based), depending on the edition. Though, classes can be modified to play 1 or 2E systems. Haven't played 3E, as of yet. Game is flexible like Traveller CT. Really, a group can design a game to fit most any interest.

I have, and many others, made epic level careers and modules... think Gotrek and Felix. Best dark fantasy out there, IMO.

Just more reasons the game is great. I've actually run games where a group of players (all playing Skaven) spent their entire careers trying to bring down human towns and cities through curruption. Ah, great fun.

Where's our update, MuslixtheMighty?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 07-28-2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet