Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: pnpg_dicehistorybit in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: pnpg_dicehistory in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591
The Campaign
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: The Campaign

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up The Campaign

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    You remember your life vividly as if it were only yesterday, only you've been here for so long the concept of time means little to you now. In life you never considered this outcome, but in the end this fate befalls all who are wicked. The afterlife holds eternal damnation for you, an existence trapped in the Ebonlands, the native realm of all devils and demons you used to hear stories about as a child, only they are very real and they very much enjoy torturing you to death, over and over again. The demon who guided you on your path to damnation, whether you were aware of his influence, claimed your soul as his property upon your death and has put you to be tormented ever since. You count the moments of agony as they pass until you earn a few moments of respite when the demons tire of your screams, and they rarely ever tire of them.

You cannot fathom being able to sustain such agony across the breadth of eternity, but after what he believes is sufficient time to break you, your master has decided he has other plans for you. Thrown down at the feet of the demon who possesses you mind and soul, Lord Apoxalon stares down at you for a few moments before lifting you up by your scalp and dangling you there.
    It's come time for this goat to leave the flock and do the work of the wolf. You will do as you are told, and you will not disappoint me worm or you will end up back in the pits with the rest of those I have no use for. Nashira, I leave these wretches to your command.

You emit an unearthly scream and then black out as the demon lord pops your head like a blister, dropping your bloody body to the floor. A few moments after his presence leaves the chamber you groggily awaken as your body reforms, a dreadful quality all damned souls in the Ebonlands possess. Leaning back on your knees as your vision clears, you get a good look at whom Lord Apoxalon was speaking to before your last untimely accident. Nashira gives you quite the grumpy look, apparently not happy to have been stuck with you. All right, wretch, on your feet! We need to get you ready for the journey back to Pariatas. Yes, you heard me right, you're going back to the realm of the living, with a new body and all. Don't get too excited though, you won't be there for a vacation. Lord Apoxalon wants his followers to begin staking out territory for his eventual arrival on that plane, and that's why we plucked you out of the pits. So you had better get your head straight and be ready to follow orders, or it's back to the feast down there with you! She points downward at the grated floor but you don't even need to looks to know what's down there. You don't really know the why or the how but you do know that you've been given a chance at something here. Now it's a matter of figuring out what to do with it..

Welcome to Dirge of Everlasting Iniquity, a Pathfinder D&D Play by Post campaign in my original setting of Pariatas. What you've just read is the beginning of a tale that the players in this game will forge by their choices and adventures in the near future. In this game the characters have already lived out their lives and died, and their path has led them to eternal damnation, a place in the Ebonlands, the Shadow realm where all demons and devils call home, and where all wicked souls go when they pass onto the afterlife. What your character has done to deserve this fate is up to the creativity of the players in this game, and of course will be part of their character's background. In the Ebonlands no one demon or devil rules truly, but rather the souls of the damned are divided up between all the fiends that have the power and resources to pluck them for their collection. Fiends corrupt as many souls while they are living as they can, so that when that soul passes into the afterlife it becomes their property, and the fiends gauge their power by who owns the most property.

All characters in the party have had their souls become the 'property' of a demon known as Apoxalon, an upper-mid level fiend on the rise who has a substantial collection of souls. Every character has been dead for an indiscriminate amount of time, but the average time Apoxalon believes is best to 'break' a soul is 200 years and so everyone has been a guest of Apoxalon for at least that amount of time. You have been selected to become one of Apoxalon's agents, a soul conscripted into his service to do his bidding and that of his underlings. You are given little to no information about what it is you'll be doing at this point but you do know that Apoxalon wants to establish some sort of foothold in the land of the living, the world of Pariatas, your former home. Outside of that you haven't a clue about what comes next, but since it has to do with Apoxalon and the living it probably has to do with adding to his collection.

Lord Apoxalon believes in strength being forged from weakness through trials of fire, so the party will begin at 1st level and prove to him that you're worth the trouble of pulling out of eternal torment to be useful. I will be posting various traits and each character can select one of these to receive, which will give a mechanical bonus to the game and add some flavor to your character's background and help further his or her development. I will hopefully have these traits as well as a lot more information for you posted in the next few days.

In the meantime, feel free to post your character application in the appropriate thread and be creative, this is something that has a wide range of possibilities for producing a character, his state of mind, his past and his agenda now that he has been given a chance to return to Pariatas. There's a lot you can come up with here and I'm excited to see what your ideas are.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've created a campaign for this game on Obsidian Portal at Dirge of the Damned

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also created a section for my campaign setting, the world of Pariatas, which is linked as you peruse the Dirge of the Damned site but I figured I'd provide the link anyway for ease of use.

Pariatas

I have run one campaign in this setting already but on the continent of Sindur. This campaign will be run in Kelant; it gives me the opportunity to flesh out new regions, people, societies and everything else a group of adventurers can explore.

If there's a specific topic that's not there but you'd like to know about just let me know and I'll forge it in the fires so to speak for your review and feedback!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In order for everyone to know the full background, history, and information about the campaign setting, I'm going to ask that everyone register at Obsidian Portal. Once you've registered there, PM me your username there and I'll invite you to 2 campaigns: One for my Campaign setting, and the other for this campaign. The setup there makes it much easier for me to organize everything and for you to go and find out info about my world without making a crap ton of threads here. We will be using the PBP forum here for our actual game. OP is merely acting as a supporting role in this game to provide you with the necessary background to familairize yourself with the world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

In-Game Thread Posting Format

Hey all. I wanted to establish a format for when we post in the In-Game thread so that way there's no confusion on anyone's part when reading someone's text.

Actions
    Narratives and character actions will be normal text. Example:
    Boyd entered the tavern and took a look around the establishment, carefully observing the clientel before heading for a corner booth and resting his weary laurels on the wooden bench.

Speech

We will be bolding all our characters' speech. For example:
    Boyd looked up at the barmaid and gave a smile. I'll have a red wine if you please.

Thoughts

Character thoughts will be italicized. Example:
    The halfling's actions appalled Thiven, and he turned his back on the scoundrel and stormed off. What a rude mongrel. I can't believe he'd do such a thing!
    Thoughts of course are not privy to other character's knowledge, so do not base your character's actions on another's thoughts, only on their actions and speech. Let's keep player knowledge from affecting the game too much

Out of Character (OOC)
    Keep all out of character comments out of the In-Game Thread. Use the Out of Character Thread for those comments, or the Campaign Questiosn thread if you have a question, or just PM me.

Dice Rolling
    Try to work dice rolls into the description of your character's action so there's a flow behind it. Don't just say "Thaddeus makes a survival check to see if he can pick up the tracks of the enemy's horse" if you can avoid it. Example:
    Thaddeus had seen the enemy on horseback earlier that night before they kidnapped the mayor's daughter. Crouching low to the ground, he swiped his hand over the ground to push away the fallen leaves and see if her could find any trace of hoofprints in the soft earth.

* Survival Check *

DM Instructions
    Any instructions I give to a player I will make with (()) double parentheses. Example:
    ((Traesin: Wisteria is going to be crossing some uneven terrain. Roll an Acrobatics check.))

I hope this clarifies the format of posting for you. If you have any questions about this, just ask me.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    08-13-2009 02:27 AM
    Survival Check: 1d20 (12) + 5 (5) = 17