Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Hardest Setting to Tackle
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardest Setting to Tackle

Downloads
    Uploads

Hardest Setting to Tackle

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    We have been playing a homebrewed LOTR campaign using a variant of Tri-Stat for a few months now. However, we have exhausted the setting and are looking for a change. Our old homebrewed setting Fantasy Realms has become old news, and none of us are interested in going back to any WoD, WitchCraft, or D&D.

Then one of our players came up with an idea. He wanted to play a Harry Potter setting. At first I thought it was a good idea, until I started trying to create the rules for it.

This is the toughest setting I have ever tried to tackle. In a world like Harry Potter, how do you assign rules?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might be able to offer some help Janisy, if you can hold a specific discussion on the topic. I've designed my own magical school based game, so I've got a fair measure of insight that might help (but it was designed for a play by post, so as I said, you'd need to ask specifics I can't just hand out random data and expect it to help)
    Masaru Academy, a roleplaying experience you'll never forget.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Use the Nobilis rules (I am only 1/2 joking)
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unisystem may work well. where each subject is it's own skill to be raised and you use the spell creation from Buffy RPG.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Urban, any.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, I would probably use GURPS (unless you have a severe GURPS allergy). The default magic system models a "one spell builds on another" method of learning that would I think fit well for students learning and full wizards. And if the default magic system doesn't appeal, there's always GURPS Thaumatology.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would use Savage Worlds, and just make each spell in the book a skill, except you both have to earn the xp AND be taught, although a rule for inspirational spell/potion/item creation would be good as well.

BTW - I would highly recommend using the Lego sets for your mini's. They're available on eBay, among many other places.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No magic, no high-technology, no super or special or psychic abilities, no aliens... GO!

exactly...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WFRP (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay) rules, any edition. Why make it harder than it needs to be, after all.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 10-09-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry Janisy - looks like half the posters in here didn't actually read your message.

My advice for running Harry Potter - lots of GM adjudication. The GM should probably be an expert on the novels. Maybe even the movie. This is because, from what I recall of the movies, there are precious few rules to magic. So the fun part is letting the characters do whatever they dream up, and then toning it down to a reasonable/rational level.

I would actually call Harry Potter a hard system to handle, not setting. The setting seems fairly easy because there's no believability to sustain.

Hard settings to me are modern ones, where there are countless buildings (maps), each with countless items inside, and a much larger population of people (any of whom could be significant), and all of these are arranged in tight-knit groups with rigid social, legal, and political structures holding them into place. Basically, a setting that requires GM railroading, endless and original improv, or unhealthy amounts of abstraction.