Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You invented what?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You invented what?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I heard this story on the radio the other day about a guy who had a life long feud with Norman Mailer because both men claimed to have invented thumb wrestling. It made me laugh , because I too have invented many things that others have taken credit for.

I claim the following items as my own inventions / creations.

The "Mexican grilled cheese sandwich" a.k.a. the "quesadilla")
    The term "Retardo Montalbon"

So what have you created?
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the damping factor in the iterative boltzmann inversion

don't expect anybody to know what that is, but I came up with it on my own, and found out people have published its use before me. But nobody has placed as much emphasis on it as I have, so I say, it is MINE!
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's one i invented over 30 years ago: b.e.l.t. sandwiches.

BELT Sandwiches:

Bacon
    Eggs, yellow runny for a saucy effect
    Lettuce
    Tomato

There ya go. I'm sure they have been around a lot longer than when i invented them, but seeing as how i have never come across one or even had heard of the name i gave it, i'm taking credit for it.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Here's one i invented over 30 years ago: b.e.l.t. sandwiches.

BELT Sandwiches:

Bacon
    Eggs, yellow runny for a saucy effect
    Lettuce
    Tomato

There ya go. I'm sure they have been around a lot longer than when i invented them, but seeing as how i have never come across one or even had heard of the name i gave it, i'm taking credit for it.
    You couldn't have invented that ... I did. It's one of my favorite sandwiches and you can't have it!

I also built one of these back in the mid 80's that I should've apparently patented:

The biggest difference is mine had casters to slide better.
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tend to invent words more than things:

Zic: the motion of the checker scanning an item's UPC label in the supermarket checkout line (not if they use the scanning gun though).

Biawedacious: *****in'/awesome/bodacious (definitely a word of the 80's).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The term "propaganda" used for materials received from vendors. I started using it back in the mid-80's on a programming job and when we went to surveyor shows. I hadn't heard it used before that and about a year later, I started hearing it said back to me

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just my Incarna game system seems to be the only thing i "invented" on my own that had no precedent or use already in some way.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's one: Bowman's

A buddy of mine(25years ago) used to love this one particular exercise were you hold a weighted bar at your waist, then lift to you chin, with elbows up--cant think of the real term. Well, he loved these so much that when i moved to California in 1984, i used that term extensively--for years, and it just picked up. Now, 25 years later, i hear that term in gyms down south. So, yeah, i created that term. Besides it fits,
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chainsaw-on-a-stick.

I don't remember the context in which I came up with the idea, but I think it had to do with quoting George Carlin's shtick about the flamethrower and a long range chainsaw came to mind. Mentioned in the same conversation, and like 3 weeks later, a game came out with my chainsaw-on-a-stick idea... Now, I don't claim that I came up with it because I suspect that it was in the game before I thought of it, but I did think of it independently of the game designers, nor have I ever seen someone actually try it...

So that's the closest I've ever come to inventing something. Now my next idea... A chain-glaive. I'm not completely certain, but I think it might have been made in the Warhammer 40k universe...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I started to look at a new guitar I got when I was a teenager. I started fantasizing how I could tweak it. I looked at the way the strings were set up and figured out a perfect way I could string it backwards - and the way I saw it, the neck was long, slender and just... ended (no winding keys!). The actual keys were behind a tiny body - it looked like a strange Jack Daniel's bottle - with a 6"x12" body and that long neck.

Five years later, ZZ Top introduced them to the world. Bastages!

About 20 years ago, I came up with a strip of plastic attached to a strip of medical tape that I could put on my nose and pull my nostrils out so I could breathe better when I ran.

Then Breathe-Right Strips came out about five years later. Bastages.

I won't let them keep me down, though!! Right now I'm working on a new form of government where the actual citizenry gets to choose their governmental representatives. It'll be hard to implement in today's society, but I'll work on it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    I won't let them keep me down, though!! Right now I'm working on a new form of government where the actual citizenry gets to choose their governmental representatives. It'll be hard to implement in today's society, but I'll work on it!
    Good luck! It's been a dream of mine to see too!
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I invented that thing-a mic-jig that goes on the the whatchamacallit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin Stonewood View Post
    I invented that thing-a mic-jig that goes on the the whatchamacallit.

Awesome, I love those things! Couldn't live without 'em!

Downloads
    Uploads
    actually... the chainsaw on a stick is used by my church's lawn department frequently! I invented that thing as well when I was young and I saw my uncle climbing a ladder to cut a branch off a tree.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like I said, I hadn't invented it; I just thought of the idea without having seen it ever been done before.

One thought just occurred to me though; if anyone has seen Ron White's stand-up they may understand what I'm talking about but the idea to make semen taste like chocolate is a terrible idea, because while it will cut down on the dumber people reproducing, it will also cut into the smarter people reproducing as well and we don't have enough of that happening as it is... What we need is a system where the more smart children you have, the better the government rewards you during tax season. The inverse should also be true; the more low intelligence children you bring into this world, the more you should shoulder the burden of taxation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast