Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: 'Labyrintus' by Victoria Lamb

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

'Labyrintus' by Victoria Lamb

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Wow, what a gorgeous chunk of game is Labyrintus. It's hard to believe that it's self-published. I mean, did you get a load of the photos? Those badass minis? I know I know, it's just a prototype, but if the final version even looks half as good, I'd own it just to look at it.

But how does it play? From what I can tell, Labyrintus is a hybrid blend of board game/tactical minis game... After reading the latest and most fleshed-out version of the rules, they seem a little... blah to me. In my opinion, the tactical element could certainly be amped up. But the good news is that the developer, Victoria Lamb, is asking for gamers' input in revising them.

Care to take a look and send her some feedback?

For those who'd like to take a preview at how she has set up combat, special abilities, movement through the labyrinth, or all the other rules, you can download the free pdfs from the Labyrintus website here. She's included her email addy in one of the pdfs up for review; she's also taking feedback at the BGG forums here and here, so leave her some constructive criticism if you've a mind to.

Anyway, it would be pity if such a beautiful game ends up having poor rules with which to play it.

Last edited by Tamburlain; 07-01-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Looks great. Am i missing something or do they not sell the game complete? I couldn't find a total price for said game.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Looks great. Am i missing something or do they not sell the game complete? I couldn't find a total price for said game.
    Ah, no price yet. The rules of the game itself are still in the development stage, so before they set a price and start taking pre-orders, I suppose there are decisions to be made that would potentially influence production/pricing.

Having said that, I am guessing the plan at this point is to sell the game complete and with (pre-painted?) minis. Here is a quotation from one of her pages:
    "The game will include the complete 75 piece Labyrinth, 16 individual 28mm miniatures sculpted by Victoria Lamb, rules and dice. The 16 miniatures make up the four factions that will inhabit the Labyrinth. These figures will also be available separately as part of the Victoria Miniatures range.
    Pictured on this page is the only prototype in existence. It is currently being play tested and production options being explored. For comments or enquiries email here."
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think they sell it at all yet. It's a prototype still, in alpha stages. That was the impression I got at least. I'm willing to bet if the game takes off, they will nickel and dime you death with new minis, labyrinth features, etc every so often.

Regardless, it's very pretty. I haven't looked at the rules yet (I'm at work), but it seems like it could be a fun filler game when the RPG group is slow or between campaigns or whatever.

edit: Scooped by Tam.
    Last edited by Harwel; 07-01-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harwel View Post
    I don't think they sell it at all yet. It's a prototype still, in alpha stages. That was the impression I got at least. I'm willing to bet if the game takes off, they will nickel and dime you death with new minis, labyrinth features, etc every so often.

Regardless, it's very pretty.
    Yup, you could be right about that. If the prototype is any indication of the quality of the produced game, then I'm sure it will be pricey. She sounds like a cool person, from what I can tell by her CV, though; so as long as she's in charge of production, I would bet that she won't be hitting her customers up at the same rate as would a large business. Not being too greedy seems to be a genuine quality of the indie scene these days, though that could always change...
    -Antonio Machado

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburlain View Post
    Ah, no price yet. The rules of the game itself are still in the development stage, so before they set a price and start taking pre-orders, I suppose there are decisions to be made that would potentially influence production/pricing.

Having said that, I am guessing the plan at this point is to sell the game complete and with (pre-painted?) minis. Here is a quotation from one of her pages:
    "The game will include the complete 75 piece Labyrinth, 16 individual 28mm miniatures sculpted by Victoria Lamb, rules and dice. The 16 miniatures make up the four factions that will inhabit the Labyrinth. These figures will also be available separately as part of the Victoria Miniatures range.
    Pictured on this page is the only prototype in existence. It is currently being play tested and production options being explored. For comments or enquiries email here."
    I'd be interested in the final product, i was just worried... well, see below.

Regardless, it's very pretty. I haven't looked at the rules yet (I'm at work), but it seems like it could be a fun filler game when the RPG group is slow or between campaigns or whatever.

edit: Scooped by Tam.
    That was my worry, nickel and diming me to death with the pieces-parts. But i will stay tuned.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm willing to bet if the game takes off, they will nickel and dime you death with new minis, labyrinth features, etc every so often.
    If it stays indie, it may not be as bad about this as you'd expect, but who knows...
    RPGAlaska.com - a gaming community for Alaskans!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We'll hope for the best. Truth be known, and i'm sure the powers that be would hate me saying this to 8600+ members, but what's stopping us from using our own mini's and a $50.00 set from Dwarven Forge?

My point? This is exactly what will happen if they try to piece-price us to death. Be forewarned, powers that be.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We'll hope for the best. Truth be known, and i'm sure the powers that be would hate me saying this to 8600+ members, but what's stopping us from using our own mini's and a $50.00 set from Dwarven Forge?

My point? This is exactly what will happen if they try to piece-price us to death. Be forewarned, powers that be.
    Ha! There you go. I'll add my skinny upraised fist to that warning, too. However, I don't know if the "powers that be" will hear any commentary issued here. It might be a good point to bring up over on the BGG threads, though.

I dunno about you guys, but when I've been swindled by a greedy game manufacturer (whose names shall go unspoken)... I feel a little bit like this guy looks. (Man, I hope they use that graphic on the box.)
    Last edited by Tamburlain; 07-01-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    -Antonio Machado

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburlain View Post
    Ha! There you go. I'll add my skinny upraised fist to that warning, too. However, I don't know if the "powers that be" will hear any commentary issued here. It might be a good point to bring up over on the BGG threads, though.

I dunno about you guys, but when I've been swindled by a greedy game manufacturer (whose names shall go unspoken)... I feel a little bit like this guy looks. (Man, I hope they use that graphic on the box.)
    Pic is just wrong, let me count the ways...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FYI the site is down if anyone is still checking so far I received no answer to why from the site.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's working for me today. Probably just technical difficulties.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage is all I get when I try it and all the thousands of other sites I surf are fine.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"