Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
100th Thread
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100th Thread

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

100th Thread

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Sorry I just wanted it.

Favorite Sci-Fi game anyone?

I'd have to go with Star Wars anything since it's Star Wars, I know it, and it's pretty light on the numbers.

(Compared to Traveller at least)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Traveller d6/mongoose Traveller, which we all know is starwarsyish, but sssh, it has always been a secret.

This being said, i'd love to play star wars d6 if ever given the opportunity. Other science fictions games i love? Gamma World d6.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    oooOOOOoo

I have no idea what Gamma World is...

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Here ya go, in case your curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_World

This can be a great game to play at Cons. The rules are simple and the game is straightforward. Ahh, great fun, but don't expect balance, you wont find it with this one.

I've actually been known to combine both Gamma World and Traveller into one game. What a blast that was, but i digress.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 06-25-2009 at 12:12 AM.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    For my top choice, I love Traveller because the mechanics are so interesting, and, well, arbitrary. Also, Traveller character generation is an adventure in itself. Runners up are Star Frontiers, Mekton Zeta, and Teenagers from Outer Space. The last is...well, science fiction definitely plays a part in the setting. I just had an epiphany: a Galaxy Angel campaign using TFOS rules! Well, save that for another time.

Actually, I'm still waiting for the science fiction rpg that will sweep me off my feet. In my dreams, I see it as some unholy melding of the ones I listed above, minus TFOS.

Since you just said "game," I'm going to take advantage of that and list a few of my favorite science fiction board and card games: Race for the Galaxy, Cosmic Encounter, and Pandemic. Yes, Pandemic is about as science fiction as it gets: it's all about science, and it's fiction, so there. Well, it's fiction for now, anyway. Cosmic Encounter could have easily been my favorite if it wasn't for the length of time it takes and the potential for frustratingly ambiguous situations to develop all too often.

No science fiction game thread is complete without mentioning that monstrosity Attack Vector: Tactical. Sure, knowledge of calculus isn't strictly required to play the game. The designers covered for that with all their handy charts and algorithms. Calculus would have helped, however, if you wanted to play the game within a human lifetime. I have a love-hate relationship with it. I think it would be fun to try, but I just can't set a month of my life aside to do it.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 06-25-2009 at 04:14 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Favorite: Traveller 'cause of it's tasty numeric crunchiness, and it still has the best features of a good old fashion space opera. It's also positioned just in my comfort zone.

I keep looking at Transhuman Space or trying to game in Orion's Arm universe, but the implications of AI singularities and transhumanism scare me. (I still love the concepts, and can't really find fault in them. That future depresses the poor little mortal baseline human in me.)

I'd contemplate trying to play in the Star Trek UFP universe, but it strikes me as a little sterile.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a tough bit of question for you. If humanity progressed to the point where all you would do all day is literally sit in a chair and press buttons. (Even more then we do now I mean)

Do you think we would get fat (fatter then we are now I mean)

Or would or metabolisms adjust and keep us at a decent average?

Or would the pressure to look good keep us there? (More then it already does I mean)

Or whatever else you think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    I have a tough bit of question for you. If humanity progressed to the point where all you would do all day is literally sit in a chair and press buttons. (Even more then we do now I mean)

Do you think we would get fat (fatter then we are now I mean)

Or would or metabolisms adjust and keep us at a decent average?

Or would the pressure to look good keep us there? (More then it already does I mean)

Or whatever else you think.
    When common people had little food and had to work hard - society decided fat people LOOKED good.
    When common people had to work outside in the sun all day - society decided that very fair skin looked good... people would poison themselves with lead makeup to have very white skin.
    When common people started working indoors, pushing buttons... society decided tanned, muscular/thin people look good.
    If common people have to work indoors and only push buttons, society will decide even more that tanned, muscular/thin people are the ideal, and many will still strive for that ideal. So yeah -- that pressure will become even more important as fewer jobs require people to use their muscles and work outside.

Besides, presumably (hopefully) evolutionary pressure will remove the severe couch potatoes. :-)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Like myself...lol.

Good answer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Starblazer Adventures - FATE 3.0 with AWESOME tweaks. I am really digging the story-focused approach without sarficing my medium-crunch desires.

GURPS 4e Space, Traveller Interstellar Wars, and Transhuman Space. There are 4e updates (Changing Times and Shell Tech) to THS - very good!

I will always have a place in my heart for Shadowrun, and the new 20th anniversary edition looks gorgeous!

Also, It's not out yet, but Eclipse Phase looks really interesting...
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    Strictly for nostalgic purposes my favorite SF RPG would be Star Frontiers.

It was my first sci fi game ad has remaied my favorite all of these years.
    Manny
    ďA government should not mobilize an army out of anger. Military leaders should not provoke war out of wrath. Act when it is beneficial, desist if it isnít. This is the way to secure a nation and keep the armed forces whole.Ē ~Sun Tzu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah Shadowrun has to be the greatest concept of any game I've ever read. I wish I could have gotten a group for it off though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Star Wars Saga Edition.

Aside form a few minor details I think it is the best pnp RPG ever.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've read through the Clone Wars handbook. It doesn't look to appealing to me. Not because it's star wars I just don't like the whole d20 3.5 feel.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Except for dnd, i don't care for d20 in any of my games. To me, d20 is dnd only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast