Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 50 years

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by templeorder View Post
    Its not really the end of the world, its the end of a cycle. Many religions, theories, and cultures refer to a similar thing happening... the Mayan one gains more credence than any because of their hyper accurate calendar.. the rest are interpretive to a degree (thats a a broad generality.

Don;t worry too much folks, "there is always hope" (to quote someone famous). So come on folks, speculate! Where would you LIKE to be!?
    I'm really guessing the Mayan's calendar end means a cycle change, not the end of the world, just had to post that to be snarkie!

Oh and that I'm amazed at how well they got that level of accuracy in their calendar!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    I'm really guessing the Mayan's calendar end means a cycle change, not the end of the world, just had to post that to be snarkie!

Oh and that I'm amazed at how well they got that level of accuracy in their calendar!
    That's where all the speculation comes from. Their accuracy was astounding.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    in 1984 i was in 4th grade being humilated by my forth grade teacher cause i could not spell.

in 2034...who knows....
    Q: How many Call of Cthulhu players does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: All of them, because you never, EVER split the party!

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can change, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthro82 View Post
    That's where all the speculation comes from. Their accuracy was astounding.
    Is it really, or just astounding to people that cannot think beyond the idea that primitive technology = primitive mind.

Maya had astrological instruments as sophisticated as those in India of the same period (from what we can tell of the few survivors) and at least as good, if not better, as what Tyco Brahe had available to him. Why does it shock that they could make the same observations and come up with the same conclusions after getting the same data? So they didn't have steel and gunpower with which to kill each other and had to make do with wood and stone.

The thing is that the Human brain has been as it is for at least 50,000 years if not longer. Just as much imagination, just as much capacity for reason. Those who wonder that the ancients did what they did or figure that aliens had to be involved, suffer from a lack of reason that said ancients did not.
    Last edited by tesral; 07-15-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    In June of '84, I was two years premie... Yes. I was still a twinkle in my father's eyes in '84. As for what I was doing, you'll have to ask a human research biologist because I've never been very concerned with the process... This June, I picked up 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons and ran a campaign with 5 friends I've known for at least 8 years and found out just how terrible a DM I am currently. As of June 2009, I've been a professional temp for the local school system for 13 months. In June, I found out the job I had been doing for 6 months was offered to a person who interviewed worse than I did and had no on-job experience; she had more years with the system and got it because of that...

25 years from now, I haven't really any clue. At the age of 23, it's a bit hard to consider where you'll be in life with any level of accuracy 25 years out. Assuming I am not whacked by then, probably doing a lot of the same crap my dad is doing at his current age of 52; that being, hating my job and making working with me very miserable. I'd probably have a kid or two by then and one might be just about to get out of high school, and that'll stress me enough to cause the last few hairs I have to fall out. I'll let you know how accurate I was when that time comes assuming you all aren't dead and this place is still visited by you all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have nothing very useful to contribute here, only praise for the premise of the thread, good job! Quite philosophical and thought provoking in an era of "twitter" and "tramp stamps"

Downloads
    Uploads
    1984 - I was an 18 year old Seaman Recruit in the United States Navy, learning all there was to learn about Electricity, Mechanics, and the inner workings, and secret knowledge of the Lightweight Surface Torpedoes in the US Arsenal, and how to best employ them to kill Soviet Submarines.

2034 - Very likely, I'll be dead before age 68 of diabetes, or suicide. Statistically, probably greater than 50% by then. C'est la Vie.

If not, I'll be visiting my wife's grave, and living away from the sunken parts of florida, and distant from the Mississippi Inland Sea.

Likely my feet and heart will be prosthetic, with some type of neural augmentation chips or some stuff like that to help me think and remember.

A computer hologram system with some kind of advanced crystal memory, that will be my personal aide, confidant, and counselor, in a home run by solar and wind power.

Maybe I'll have a 3rd, or hell, 4th wife by then.

Or it could be much, much worse, depending on how the next 5 years go.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123