Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best fantasy-horror module you've played?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the best fantasy-horror module you've played?

We're talking horror, not gore. So. Whatcho got? Homebrew modules are cool.

I ran a 100% role-playing, no combat homebrew module about a ghost haunting a house that the PCs were asked to clear out. The wizard (being very intelligent) had to help figure out why they were a ghost. The rogue had a puzzle trap to disable. The fighter had some bars to break and such. The cleric had some divine counseling to provide. It was great. Scared the players a LOT.
    As each PC did something related to their class, they uncovered clues that were creepy and scary.

So...what are yours?
    The Big.
    The Bad.
    The Ben.
    Playing in the darkness. www.farlandworld.com
    "Dude, we totally play 1d4-2 Friday nights per month. More or less."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best published module, some friends and I have always said is the original Ravenloft module though any of its later versions will do nicely.

One of my favorite homebrew horror adventures I did before there was a Ravenloft campaign setting. I made a 'haunted house' adventure that took scenes out of more than 30 classic horror movies and shows from The Munsters to The Exorcist and placed them some where in or around the house. Then everytime the players encountered one of these scenes I awarded bonus experience to the first player who could correctly identify the movie it came from.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea, i gotta say Ravenloft was great because the setting already set the tone and expectation - heightening the feeling. I honestly cannot think of the best one, though i have a graveyard 'module' that i have used over and over... the Olani Graveyard. Ask all my players of the years, they've all got to see it in some incarnation... and they all fear it and are intrigued by it.

The last Dunstrand Rising adventure group from a week ago ended up eating human flesh at a Bed and Breakfast... the knight even dropping 2 extra silver on the kindly old couple to make sure the group got "seconds". There were a few sanity checks by the end of that one.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree Ravenloft is a great venue for this and I really enjoyed it. Does Tomb of Horrors count as a horror module? It was a really nasty module and it IMHO would be a very hard to choose between the of them.
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

While running a WLD (Worlds Largest Dungeon) campaign at high levels, i incorporated a side adventure which included elements of ToH, some Ravenloft, a Yochol, and a couple other classic modules and old horror movies, for the party. They were definitely kinda spooked about the whole situation, even going so far as to debate how to backtrack said side adventure.

Result of side adventure: 1 dead--forever, 1 magically mutated--permanently, and 1 becoming a kind of lich (which the party wasn't aware of till later--player loved it after he was done being upset). There's a whole lot more to this but i will save it for another time.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 06-13-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Despite its name and its nastiness I would say no to the Tomb of Horrors being a horror module, even though it gave some of my players quite a fright. There are a lot of modules out there that are quite horrific, but they just don't have the mood or the feel of a true 'horror' setting or story. I could list quite a few like this that have elements of horror in them, but the list would just go on and on.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Keep. D&D meets Nazi's meets Demon.
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hamblet View Post
    Despite its name and its nastiness I would say no to the Tomb of Horrors being a horror module, even though it gave some of my players quite a fright. There are a lot of modules out there that are quite horrific, but they just don't have the mood or the feel of a true 'horror' setting or story. I could list quite a few like this that have elements of horror in them, but the list would just go on and on.
    Agreed, ToH was not scary (except for the thought of instant death around the corner). For me, horror has to mean sanity checks or some equivalent.

www.incarna.net

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nWOD Mortals, they were working on or near a theater rebuild. So we had construction workers, police officer, waitress (diner across the street), journalist, etc. It ended up being "haunted". So they began to investigate and or get sucked into the plot. Eventually in the end (5am we started playing at 6pm) they all died. The last PC figured out it wasnt a spirit at all but a moster as the Nosferatu came out from his hiding spot the PC screamed in horror shooting the pistol he had taken off the cops body but it was too late.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure if its the best, but a fun one, I recently ran "Mysteries of Razor Sea" written by Nicholas Logue and published by Sinister Adventures. Basically, a low level adventure on a ghost ship. Let's just say all the of the party members were acting strangely by the time they inadvertently sank the ship.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow...thanks guys.

I think there is certainly something to be said about a non-ravenloft type adventure, though. Where, the players are going along and then, WHAM, they're hit with the spookiest thing in the world, one of their characters dies, their sister becomes an unwilling lover to a ghoul-lord, the king is a lich and they can only fix one problem.
    The Big.
    The Bad.
    The Ben.
    Playing in the darkness. www.farlandworld.com
    "Dude, we totally play 1d4-2 Friday nights per month. More or less."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_Running_Farland_3.5 View Post
    Wow...thanks guys.

I think there is certainly something to be said about a non-ravenloft type adventure, though. Where, the players are going along and then, WHAM, they're hit with the spookiest thing in the world, one of their characters dies, their sister becomes an unwilling lover to a ghoul-lord, the king is a lich and they can only fix one problem.
    One other thing about the Mysteries of the Razor Sea published by sinister Adventure. Its pretty affordable at $2.50 for the 13 page pdf. Its available through the downloads at the paizo.com site.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tomb of Horrors is scary only because death is not only imminent but virtually guaranteed because the traps are, well, BS, and the puzzles are nonsensical and the monsters are no cakewalk either. This is assuming of course, that you aren't killed by the false entrances TO the tomb.

I'm not normally one for horror, but All Flesh Must Be Eaten was a fun one (I've told the story elsewhere in these forums... nothing like turning your gun on yourself when you doom your girlfriend to death because you're too afraid to help her). Also, Weird War II: Blood on the Rhine was fun for a WWII supernatural horror game. I'm not so fond of it's sequels though...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by korhal23 View Post
    Tomb of Horrors is scary only because death is not only imminent but virtually guaranteed because the traps are, well, BS, and the puzzles are nonsensical and the monsters are no cakewalk either. This is assuming of course, that you aren't killed by the false entrances TO the tomb.
    I know its off topic, but read carefully the original text. We mined the precious metals/materials out of it after 6 of 8 high level PC's were killed in that BS module. We got one back out of the teeth of the demi-lich later, but our characters were able to equip a bunch (and i mean hundreds) of soldiers with the finest armor and weapons. It should have caused a global economic collapse... it was ridiculous.

www.incarna.net

Downloads
    Uploads
    Masks of Nyarlathotep. By far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast